Map

Discussions about Cosmic Starfire.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Cosmic Starfire is being designed by Fred Burton (aka 'Crucis'). Please direct all inquiries to him.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Map

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Tue 14 Aug 2012 20:57

Is there any way to get a reasonably accurate map of the galaxy in the Classic/Cosmic setting. I'm not looking for anything detailed just the known warp links. The TFN map on Joe Buckley's infodump has multiple inconsistencies. I had a hand drawn version based on GKW and SaW in the early 90's. It actually corrected the errors in Saw. If there isn't a map available I'll just recreate and update my old one once I purchase the cd.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Map

Postby Cralis on Tue 14 Aug 2012 23:08

Are you talking about an official CLASSIC STARFIRE map of the known universe? There really isn't one. The reason is that Weber didn't mention any of the connecting star systems that weren't part of the actual stories (scenarios, novels, whatever). So anyone who attempts to build such a map has to guess.

Do I have one? Yes. It isn't electronic. And I'm sure it is different from what other people have built. But that's kinda the point...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 15 Aug 2012 01:12

I know that there isn't a map of the entire TFN, let alone the entire setting. I was just hoping for a somewhat more accurate version than what's on infodump. That version is missing many of the systems from the original GKW supplement.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Dawn Falcon on Wed 15 Aug 2012 19:59

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:I know that there isn't a map of the entire TFN, let alone the entire setting. I was just hoping for a somewhat more accurate version than what's on infodump. That version is missing many of the systems from the original GKW supplement.

There's never been official graphic drawn based on anything pre-Bug war, as far as I know - you could certainly map out a fair bit given the system data in SAW though.
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Xveers on Wed 15 Aug 2012 20:02

GKW never had a computerized map done, to my knowledge.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 15 Aug 2012 20:17

The original GKW had maps of the relevant Gorm and Khanare systems. It was the entire Empire of Gormus and the Pandomn sector of the Khanate. When SaW cam out I used it and GKW to hand draw a map of the listed systems.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 15 Aug 2012 21:01

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:The original GKW had maps of the relevant Gorm and Khanare systems. It was the entire Empire of Gormus and the Pandomn sector of the Khanate. When SaW cam out I used it and GKW to hand draw a map of the listed systems.

All of the Gorm systems are known, true. But I think his point was that David Weber didn't have a PDF, Word file, or some other electronically accessible file available to the public with the map(s).

One of these days I'll see if I can find my old map and scan it. I'll put it on the downloads. But I have a few other things that need to happen first.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 15 Aug 2012 21:15

If GKW is on the cd those maps should exist. I'm not very good with various paint programs but I may try to use one to recreate my old map.

One reason I think the maps weren't reproduced was that they were not needed for SaW. David kept the scenarios but the campaign game wan't updated to 3rd ed rules. One interesting note is that there was an npr in the original GKW that willingly allied with the Khanate. That npr is not mentioned anywhere in SaW.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Dawn Falcon on Thu 16 Aug 2012 03:01

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:The original GKW

Oh. About the one thing I never had. Heh.
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Thu 16 Aug 2012 06:06

It was the only supplement produced for 2nd ed. The campaign used a simplified version of the New Empires rules.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Next

Return to Cosmic Starfire