Continuing Sysgen discussion

Discussions about Cosmic Starfire.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Cosmic Starfire is being designed by Fred Burton (aka 'Crucis'). Please direct all inquiries to him.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Continuing Sysgen discussion

Postby Crucis on Sun 09 Dec 2012 21:41

And for what it's worth, this is the current iteration of the # of Moons table. it is rather different from the one in ISF, Ultra, or Solar. First of all, it's based on a 1d10 die roll, not 1d100. Secondly, I've stuck with the ISF convention that Mass 1 planets cannot have moons.

Third, you'll notice that the die roll modifiers are tied only to mass, or being in the tidelock zone (a BIG negative for # of moons). And for those who are thinking about "Hot Jupiters" or "Hot Neptunes", the mass and TLZ modifiers are cumulative. So, an HJ may not have a particularly large die roll modifier if it's in the TLZ of its star.

Number of Moons Table

Die Roll: # of Moons
Less than 1: 0
1-5: 1
6-8: 2
9-10: 3
11-12: 4
13-14: 5
15 or more: 6

Modifiers:
Planet is in Tidelock Zone: -5
Planet is Mass 2: -1
Planet is Mass 4: +2
Planet is Mass 5: +4
Planet is Mass 6: +6

Note that 6 moons are only possible for a mass 6 planet, and mass 6 planets are essentially "Super Jupiters".
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Mon 10 Dec 2012 04:54

The moon table looks good. Would it be possible to add a modifier for stellar class? I'm thinking that larger stars would have more material to form moons, while smaller stars would have less.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Crucis on Mon 10 Dec 2012 06:00

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:The moon table looks good. Would it be possible to add a modifier for stellar class? I'm thinking that larger stars would have more material to form moons, while smaller stars would have less.

I've never read anything to that effect. If anything, I'd think that that sort of modifier would be more appropriate for planetary masses, rather than # of moons, since I *have* read where class M stars have fewer large gas giants than larger stars. (And if smaller stars had less massive planets, that would have a secondary effect on the # of moons table when those less massive planets rolled for moons.)
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Previous

Return to Cosmic Starfire