Warp Points

Discussions about Cosmic Starfire.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Cosmic Starfire is being designed by Fred Burton (aka 'Crucis'). Please direct all inquiries to him.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Warp Points

Postby Crucis on Mon 17 Dec 2012 21:58

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:I'm not opposed to the LH system. It has real possibilities.

Here's an example of my hex based idea using the data on Casnnae in SAW. Wp 8 is on radian 2 at 26 hexes and wp 12 is on the same radian at 30 hexes. In the hes based system a strategic speed 2 unit would need 2 full days to travel between the wp's and could transit at the end of day 2 and be in the wp hex of the next system. A strategic speed 3 unit could make transit and still have 2 hexes of movement available. The down side is that I have no way at the moment to allow for fractional hexes on the strategic movement scale.

The reason that I'm counting both hexes and transits is to allow for the possibility of wp's along a chain to each be fairly close to each other in the systems along the chain. Granted, there aren't many cases in SaW where there are multiple short links, but it is a possibility. The other reason I'm looking at a cap on transits is to limit players from being able to ferry multiple waves of fighters into a system merely by running big SD(V)'s back and forth through a wp.

There's no doubt that a strategic movement model based on system hexes would be the most accurate. However, very few people are going to want to count distances between WP's in syshexes every turn. And any simplified strategic movement model can only work with average distances. Which means that whenever you have 2 WP's much closer than average, you don't get any benefit. Of course the flip side is that you don't take it on the chin when WP's are at the max distance from each other. You just have to hope that over the long run, those things average out.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Tue 18 Dec 2012 05:55

Here's my biggest problem with simplified movement. Let's take your example. I'm going from Earth to Galloway's star via A-C. While I'm crossing A-C an invader pops in via the Orphicon wp. It's now a contested system. What hex am I in? Am I close enough to detect the invading force? It's not easy to answer those questions with the LH movement system. With a hex based system it's somewhat clearer particularly with the pulsed movement in 3rdR. A SM can track exactly where the ships are and inform the players if they have detected something out of the ordinary.

Under the old ISF rules, hex based movement was a bit tougher to track as hexes/day was twice the strategic speed. Of course the flip side of that equation is that fractions are easily handled.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Crucis on Tue 18 Dec 2012 09:16

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:Here's my biggest problem with simplified movement. Let's take your example. I'm going from Earth to Galloway's star via A-C. While I'm crossing A-C an invader pops in via the Orphicon wp. It's now a contested system. What hex am I in? Am I close enough to detect the invading force? It's not easy to answer those questions with the LH movement system. With a hex based system it's somewhat clearer particularly with the pulsed movement in 3rdR. A SM can track exactly where the ships are and inform the players if they have detected something out of the ordinary.

Under the old ISF rules, hex based movement was a bit tougher to track as hexes/day was twice the strategic speed. Of course the flip side of that equation is that fractions are easily handled.

Alexei, you can complain about simplified movement, but it's the reality. Hardly anyone is going to do strategic movement the old ISF way. It's too time-consuming.

That said, with the LH system, you would have a solid idea when you and the invader both entered the A-C system, and you or the SM could switch over to the system scale at that point. The same thing would be more difficult to determine under the StMP system.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Tue 18 Dec 2012 16:32

Actually, the LH strategic movement system can interface fairly easily with hex based movement to set up a deep space encounter. Let's say that movement between wp's in a system is 4 light hours. That's 20 system hexes. It's not hard to figure a rough location for a player/SM to place units when an invader enters the system. Converting the other LH values to hexes is equally simple.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Crucis on Tue 18 Dec 2012 17:55

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:Actually, the LH strategic movement system can interface fairly easily with hex based movement to set up a deep space encounter. Let's say that movement between wp's in a system is 4 light hours. That's 20 system hexes. It's not hard to figure a rough location for a player/SM to place units when an invader enters the system. Converting the other LH values to hexes is equally simple.

I also happen to have a table that tells you how far you've traveled week by week (assuming a 6 week month, 5 days per week). Here's a small portion of the table.

StrategicInLH's Travelled (LH's Remaining)
SpeedLH'sWeek 1Week 2Week 3Week 4Week 5Week 6
161 (5)2 (4)3 (3)4 (2)5 (1)6 (0)
2122 (10)4 (8)6 (6)8 (4)10 (2)12 (0)
3183 (15)6 (12)9 (9)12 (6)15 (3)18 (0)
+1/32--+1--+1
+1/23-+1-+1-+1
+2/34-+1+1-+1+1

The bottom 3 rows are for fractional speed points and indicate the weeks in which the additional speed points are expended.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 19 Dec 2012 22:47

I really like the table. It makes it easy to see exactly where a unit is and when it's expected to arrive at its destination in a multiple turn move. Given the 5 day week it's not that hard to place units on the map for any given day should the need to switch to system level movement arise.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Previous

Return to Cosmic Starfire