Rare Star Systems

Discussions about Cosmic Starfire.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Cosmic Starfire is being designed by Fred Burton (aka 'Crucis'). Please direct all inquiries to him.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Rare Star Systems

Postby Crucis on Fri 07 Dec 2012 09:32

As Solar and Ultra use something they call "Anomaly Systems", I intend to do something similar, though I think that I'll call it “Rare Star Systems”. Most rare star systems will not be dangerous. (Black holes are an obvious exception.)

As with Ultra/Solar's anomaly systems, you'd first roll on the System Type table, where a certain result would direct you to the Rare Star Systems table, where you would likely roll 1d100.

Here is a list of the Rare Star Systems I have to date.

Black Hole: instant destruction, as usual.

Neutron Star: same # of WP’s die roll modifiers as Blue Giant; special effects yet to be determined, but possibly a nebula may exist in the system as well, type yet to be determined; no planets, moons, or AB’s.

Red Supergiant: 5 sH radius; same # of WP’s die roll modifiers as Blue Giant; no planets, moons, or AB’s.

(possibly) Hypergiant: Even larger than a Red Supergiant, the hypergiant might be associated with a maser nebula, and be a real nasty place. This might have an even higher # of WP's die roll modifier than Blue Giant, or perhaps just an automatic Warp Junction.

Proto-Star System: Similar to the Forming Star System anomaly in Solar, but not exactly the same. The star here is a T Tauri proto-star.

White Dwarf with planet(s): planets will be far from the star and probably mass 1 Type F, though Type I with some Type mF moons is somewhat possible. (Most WD's wouldn't have planets, and certainly not those in binary systems. This rare system is the exception.)

Brown Dwarf with planet(s): The handful of small planets will be VERY close to the star, in the same interception hex, with orbits measured in tac hexes; the Brown Dwarf star will have a significant negative # of WP’s die roll modifier due to its extreme low stellar mass.

Dark Nebula: a Starless Nexus in a Dark Nebula; # of WP die roll mod same as for normal starless nexus.

Reflective Nebula: a Starless Nexus in a Reflective Nebula; # of WP die roll mod same as for normal starless nexus.

Emission Nebula: a Starless Nexus in an Emission Nebula; # of WP die roll mod same as for normal starless nexus.

Starless Nexus with an Asteroid Field: the asteroid “field” will be a filled-in circle at the center of the system with a radius of perhaps 1 system hex. The field will be treated like it was a Type aF belt, due to the extreme cold of the location. There will be one planetoid per system hex in the field (7 overall). Mineral wealth of field rolled normally. # of WP die roll mod same as for normal starless nexus.

(possibly) Starless Nexus with a Warp Junction (i.e. 5 + 1d10 WPs): Due to a nearby black hole, this location has an abnormally high number of WP’s.

(possibly) Starless Nexus: The empty patch of space called a starless nexus. Yes, I'm thinking of moving the traditional Starless Nexus in with the rest of the Rare Star System types.

If you have any other ideas, feel free to offer them up. The one key thing is that the system should be self-contained and not merely an oddity like situation, like a WP in an asteroid belt, that requires the player to turn around and generate a normal system in addition to the "oddity". ( Sysgen oddities are for later.... ;) )
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: Rare Star Systems

Postby Vandervecken on Fri 07 Dec 2012 17:49

Loner Planets

I have these in just about all my versions. Just 2 weeks ago SPACE.com had a very interesting article about just how many of these buggers there could be out there. And the Large and Super-Large Jovians (especially the Super-Larges), may create enough heat/enery to to keep a mT (or it's equivalent) warm. One of my versions had a max of 3 moons for the Loner Planet, as the event that kicked the planet out of it's old system probably lost it it's outer moons. But that may or may not happen depending on the actual Kicker event, mass of GG or Rocky planet, how close the moons orbit actually was, etc. Plus many of a Planet's OUTER moons are the 50 to 200 mile radius crap moons, but sometimes a good one could be out there.

Binary/Trinary formation has a way of kicking stuff (both planets and sometimes stars) out. But there are some other events that kick planet out as well. I think the # 2 conjectured cause was a pair of solar system neighbors getting too close to each other as they pass in the night (well actually the night lasts for tens of thousand of years usually). I think #3 is Nova/Supernova, but maybe it was during 'Layer Losses' of Giant/Super-Giant stars before they went Boom as most planet don't survive the Boom. Of course the bigger the Boom , the smaller the chance that star had planets to begin with.

They would have a WP modifier that would be as bad or worse than Brown Dwarfs.
Last edited by Vandervecken on Fri 07 Dec 2012 18:10, edited 1 time in total.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Fri 07 Dec 2012 18:08

Crucis wrote:Red Supergiant: 5 sH radius; same # of WP’s die roll modifiers as Blue Giant; no planets, moons, or AB’s.

(possibly) Hypergiant: Even larger than a Red Supergiant, the hypergiant might be associated with a maser nebula, and be a real nasty place. This might have an even higher # of WP's die roll modifier than Blue Giant, or perhaps just an automatic Warp Junction.

With these systems certain wp types could wind up deep within the star.

Vandervecken wrote:(possibly) Starless Nexus: The empty patch of space called a starless nexus. Yes, I'm thinking of moving the traditional Starless Nexus in with the rest of the Rare Star System types.

I wouldn't mind having all warp points in this situation be closed.

As far as other possibilities, I wouldn't mind seeing a Red or Orange Giant with planets. Both Arcturus and Aldebaran may have a SJ companion. Pollux among others has a confirmed planet.

Another oddity might be a U Scorpii class recurrent nova. I erupts about every 8-12 years which would be workable in game terms.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Crucis on Fri 07 Dec 2012 19:40

Vandervecken wrote:Loner Planets

I have these in just about all my versions. Just 2 weeks ago SPACE.com had a very interesting article about just how many of these buggers there could be out there. And the Large and Super-Large Jovians (especially the Super-Larges), may create enough heat/energy to to keep a mT (or its equivalent) warm. One of my versions had a max of 3 moons for the Loner Planet, as the event that kicked the planet out of its old system probably lost it its outer moons. But that may or may not happen depending on the actual Kicker event, mass of GG or Rocky planet, how close the moons orbit actually was, etc. Plus many of a Planet's OUTER moons are the 50 to 200 mile radius crap moons, but sometimes a good one could be out there.

Binary/Trinary formation has a way of kicking stuff (both planets and sometimes stars) out. But there are some other events that kick planet out as well. I think the # 2 conjectured cause was a pair of solar system neighbors getting too close to each other as they pass in the night (well actually the night lasts for tens of thousand of years usually). I think #3 is Nova/Supernova, but maybe it was during 'Layer Losses' of Giant/Super-Giant stars before they went Boom as most planet don't survive the Boom. Of course the bigger the Boom , the smaller the chance that star had planets to begin with.

They would have a WP modifier that would be as bad or worse than Brown Dwarfs.

"Loner planet" is basically just another way of saying a rogue planet. Yeah, they're doable.

Having a gas giant or its larger cousin, a super-jovian, with 1-3 moons, wouldn't be all that different from a brown dwarf and 1-3 small (mass 1) planets. Ans of course, as gas giants get more massive and brown dwarf stars get less massive, the line between them gets a bit blurry. Still ... not out of the question.

And more than likely, I'd treat such a "system" as a Starless Nexus that just happened to have a rogue planet, same as I do for the Starless Nexus with an asteroid field.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Crucis on Fri 07 Dec 2012 19:57

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:
Crucis wrote:Red Supergiant: 5 sH radius; same # of WP’s die roll modifiers as Blue Giant; no planets, moons, or AB’s.

With these systems certain wp types could wind up deep within the star.

Yes, they could. :twisted:

The question then would be, should I give such a star a distance bonus that pushes its WP's out from the star so that they're not swallowed by it? Or leave them where they are, which means that anything exiting the WP is vaporized (and probably thinks that the WP linked to a black hole)?

Red Supergiants might swallow up an occasional Type 7 WP, but IIRC Hypergiants would be worse. Of course, Hypergiants are probably the most rare of the rare star systems, given how few of them exist. They're almost certain to be a 1% entry on the 1d100 Rare star Systems table.

Vandervecken wrote:(possibly) Starless Nexus: The empty patch of space called a starless nexus. Yes, I'm thinking of moving the traditional Starless Nexus in with the rest of the Rare Star System types.

I wouldn't mind having all warp points in this situation be closed.

Can't say that I understand why. It would REALLY make starless nexuses worthless. Besides which, I think that it would also mean that the other starless nexus system that just happen to have a little bonus (asteroid field, etc.) only have closed WP's as well.

As far as other possibilities, I wouldn't mind seeing a Red or Orange Giant with planets. Both Arcturus and Aldebaran may have a SJ companion. Pollux among others has a confirmed planet.

Wasn't aware of that. Still, unless the planet is usable (i.e. not a Type G, I, GD, or V) or has a usable moon, it's just scenery. Scenery's ok in my book, though I'd rather not weigh down the rare system types with too many pure scenery systems. I kinda like them to have some value, either with usable real estate or alternatively plenty of WP's.

Another oddity might be a U Scorpii class recurrent nova. I erupts about every 8-12 years which would be workable in game terms.

Yes, this is more of an optional rules section "oddity" than a rare system type. And while an interesting astronomical phenomena, it's the sort of oddity that I'm not terribly fond of. I don't particularly like oddities that require the SM to track and manage. Things like flare stars, or flare nebulas that are going to go off every so often. Seems like they're more of a hassle than they're worth. Of course, a recurrent nova is sort of a flare star on steroids! :mrgreen:
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Crucis on Fri 07 Dec 2012 21:40

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:As far as other possibilities, I wouldn't mind seeing a Red or Orange Giant with planets. Both Arcturus and Aldebaran may have a SJ companion. Pollux among others has a confirmed planet.

Actually of those 3 listed, only Pollux has a confirmed planet (a 2.3 Mj gas giant in an orbit of about 13.6 LM). Astronomers seem to disbelieve that the other two have one at this point according to wikipedia. Still, that doesn't rule out the idea. Though it's interesting that in all 3 cases, the Red Giants are much smaller than the max size that I've currently allowed for, i.e. 6 LM. Arcturus and Aldeberan are closer to 1-ish LM in radius, and Pollux is around 21 LS in radius.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Fri 07 Dec 2012 21:50

Pollux has a Gas Giant orbiting at about 1.7 AU. The 6 LM size works for me as stars like Pollux and Arcturus are still evolving to true red giant status. Even Rigel is only about 3 LM in radius IIRC.

How useless that Starless Nexus with only closed wp's might depend on the PoV of the player discovering it. Suppose it's relatively close to a star system in usable terms. There are several such cases in the novels and old Nexus magazine articles.

Speaking of closed wp only cases, what about a system like Shanak. Both the Khanate and the Bugs thought that it was a cul-de-sac until the Bugs found the 2nd closed wp.

The difference between Red Supergiants and Hypergiants like Eta Carinae tends to be mass, not radius.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Crucis on Fri 07 Dec 2012 21:59

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:Pollux has a Gas Giant orbiting at about 1.7 AU. The 6 LM size works for me as stars like Pollux and Arcturus are still evolving to true red giant status. Even Rigel is only about 3 LM in radius IIRC.

Yes, as I noted above... ;)

How useless that Starless Nexus with only closed wp's might depend on the PoV of the player discovering it. Suppose it's relatively close to a star system in usable terms. There are several such cases in the novels and old Nexus magazine articles.

Yes, if there's an LDC, then it's a FAR different situation.

Speaking of closed wp only cases, what about a system like Shanak. Both the Khanate and the Bugs thought that it was a cul-de-sac until the Bugs found the 2nd closed wp.

True ... BUT...

If a player discovers such a closed WP only SN, the best thing to do with it is go away and ignore it, since the only way that someone can discover the closed WP into your own space is if you are seen entering your closed WP... as was the case in Shanak.

I tend to think that it's best to just let chance take care of things when it comes to what types of WP's exist in starless nexuses...
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Fri 07 Dec 2012 22:19

I see your point on the SN.

We were posting at the same time on Pollux. The largest diameter star that I'm seeing with a confirmed planet (not potential brown dwarf) is Gamma-1 Leonis at about 1LM.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Crucis on Fri 07 Dec 2012 22:32

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:I see your point on the SN.

We were posting at the same time on Pollux. The largest diameter star that I'm seeing with a confirmed planet (not potential brown dwarf) is Gamma-1 Leonis at about 1LM.

Red Giant?
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Next

Return to Cosmic Starfire