Rare Star Systems

Discussions about Cosmic Starfire.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Cosmic Starfire is being designed by Fred Burton (aka 'Crucis'). Please direct all inquiries to him.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Rare Star Systems

Postby procyon on Sat 05 Jan 2013 04:18

It wouldn't be impossible to posit that some tensor in space time within certain distances of event horizons would not permit the formation of WP other than within the event horizon itself. So your only WPs to black hole systems might be 'distant WPs.'
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sat 05 Jan 2013 06:27

Cralis wrote:Just so you know, ULTRA and SSF use a pseudo-science assumption that black holes are such deep gravity wells that WPs form practically on top of the black hole, rather than some distance away as normal.

The problem I have with that theory is that the wp's should have been in existence before the progenitor star blew.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Dawn Falcon on Sat 05 Jan 2013 10:16

Ah, but *do* they exist before they're transited? :D

This is really getting into deep cosmology...
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sat 05 Jan 2013 15:13

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:
Cralis wrote:Just so you know, ULTRA and SSF use a pseudo-science assumption that black holes are such deep gravity wells that WPs form practically on top of the black hole, rather than some distance away as normal.

The problem I have with that theory is that the wp's should have been in existence before the progenitor star blew.

Fair point. But a gravity well is merely the curvature of space. If that curvature deepens significantly, the X distance from the WP and the center of the system will shorten dramatically, even if the distance along the curve remains the same.

The next question is whether or not the detonation of a supernova has any effect on WPs. In SSF we do, but we haven't added that to the rules yet. I think Crucis has assumptions along the same lines...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Crucis on Sat 05 Jan 2013 15:30

Cralis wrote:
AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:

Fair point. But a gravity well is merely the curvature of space. If that curvature deepens significantly, the X distance from the WP and the center of the system will shorten dramatically, even if the distance along the curve remains the same.

The next question is whether or not the detonation of a supernova has any effect on WPs. In SSF we do, but we haven't added that to the rules yet. I think Crucis has assumptions along the same lines...

Oh, I definitely do. I assume that supernova explosions will at least temporarily wipe out the WP connections not only in the supernova's own star system, but perhaps in some "nearby" star systems as well. It's the core assumption of the future history I'd like to eventually work on. And "temporarily" might mean hundreds or thousands of years or more. Temporarily on a galactic time scale, rather than a human one.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sat 05 Jan 2013 20:59

Crucis wrote:Oh, I definitely do. I assume that supernova explosions will at least temporarily wipe out the WP connections not only in the supernova's own star system, but perhaps in some "nearby" star systems as well. It's the core assumption of the future history I'd like to eventually work on. And "temporarily" might mean hundreds or thousands of years or more. Temporarily on a galactic time scale, rather than a human one.

Nearby in a physical sense or in a warp line sense?

I would say that there are a few good actual stars that could be the basis for watching a super/hyper nova wipe out the wp's. Eta Carinae would be a prime example.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Crucis on Sat 05 Jan 2013 21:17

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:
Crucis wrote:Oh, I definitely do. I assume that supernova explosions will at least temporarily wipe out the WP connections not only in the supernova's own star system, but perhaps in some "nearby" star systems as well. It's the core assumption of the future history I'd like to eventually work on. And "temporarily" might mean hundreds or thousands of years or more. Temporarily on a galactic time scale, rather than a human one.

Nearby in a physical sense or in a warp line sense?

Good catch. I'm being intentionally vague because I don't remember how I wrote it up at the moment.

I would say that there are a few good actual stars that could be the basis for watching a super/hyper nova wipe out the wp's. Eta Carinae would be a prime example.

LOL!!! :lol:

Eta Carinae is exactly the star that I have in my notes as the most likely star to use, since it's in the general galactic vicinity of where I'm imagining the Star Union exists within the Milky Way.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sat 05 Jan 2013 23:38

Crucis wrote:LOL!!!

Eta Carinae is exactly the star that I have in my notes as the most likely star to use, since it's in the general galactic vicinity of where I'm imagining the Star Union exists within the Milky Way.

For all we know, It's already blown and we just won't see the results for a few more centuries.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Crucis on Sat 05 Jan 2013 23:47

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:
Crucis wrote:LOL!!!

For all we know, It's already blown and we just won't see the results for a few more centuries.

Entirely true.

But, IIRC, I'm postulating that it will blow shortly after the end of ISW4. ;)
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby tmul4050 on Sun 06 Jan 2013 03:24

Thats truly wicked.
I tip my hat to you sir :D

Would there be any physical threat to nearby systems (radiation or stellar matter). this would be slow (lightspeed) but systems only a few light years could be in trouble. (hmm civil wars over who gets to escape). Also are WP in nearby systems just wipes instantly when the event occurs or only at lightspeed. And would warp points transmit the blast before dying.
tmul4050
Commander
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Cosmic Starfire