Rare Star Systems

Discussions about Cosmic Starfire.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Cosmic Starfire is being designed by Fred Burton (aka 'Crucis'). Please direct all inquiries to him.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Rare Star Systems

Postby Crucis on Sun 06 Jan 2013 03:48

tmul4050 wrote:Thats truly wicked.
I tip my hat to you sir :D

Would there be any physical threat to nearby systems (radiation or stellar matter). this would be slow (lightspeed) but systems only a few light years could be in trouble. (hmm civil wars over who gets to escape). Also are WP in nearby systems just wipes instantly when the event occurs or only at lightspeed. And would warp points transmit the blast before dying.

As I've imagined it, there are no inhabited star systems at any physical risk. The problem is that the super (hyper?) nova will blow out a number of warp connections in the general vicinity which causes the Star Union, the Zarkolyans, and the Pitariad to be completely cut off from the rest of the Alliance. The events of course aren't mentioned in Insurrection (or Exodus or Extremis), so they can't have that much of an impact on the Federation, etc. itself. And physically, it doesn't do any damage to the Star Union, Zarkolyans, or Pitariad. What it does do is isolate them from the rest of the "known" galaxy ... which is the point off it from a story telling perspective.

The Star Union finds itself isolated from their new friends immediately after defeating The Demons (aka the Bugs), and it's a bit of a shock. Being a multi-species polity themselves, the idea of the Grand Alliance was very appealing and assuring to the Star Union, and they want to find to reconnect with their friends. (There are also some members of the other Alliance races in Star Union space who have been stranded as well.)

On the flip side, the Pitariad finds the entire situation quite amusing, and they see an opportunity to take on the Star Union without all those Alliance busy bodies interfering. However, the Pitariad also knows that it still has some catching up to do technologically speaking if it's going take on their hated rival.

As for the event itself, I have a short, short story somewhere describing it, but I can't seem to find it. :?
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 06 Jan 2013 06:23

I don't want to spoil the plot but could Pesthouse be Eta Carinae?

I love having to think in wp terms as well as conventional light speed optical/IR/radio astronomic terms. Humanity knows that Eta Carinae blows in the late 24th century, but on Earth they won't see the visible explosion for another couple of thousand years.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Crucis on Sun 06 Jan 2013 07:43

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:I don't want to spoil the plot but could Pesthouse be Eta Carinae?

I love having to think in wp terms as well as conventional light speed optical/IR/radio astronomic terms. Humanity knows that Eta Carinae blows in the late 24th century, but on Earth they won't see the visible explosion for another couple of thousand years.

I actually thought about using Pesthouse as Eta Carinae at one point (given that the Pesthouse star happens to be a "blue giant"), but I think that I decided that I needed to avoid using any of the old Bug systems in this role. No, the star in question, called Tessagha by the Star Union, is in an as yet unexplored star system ... though that star itself may still be Eta Carinae.

And, BTW, I sort of view the Tessagha supernova as prologue to the main story, so I don't really worry about "spoiling" it. It's the "rest of the story" that I won't spoil, though it'd be hard to do, since very little is set in stone.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby tmul4050 on Sun 06 Jan 2013 08:27

I wonder how many federation (and khanate, gorm and ohpuichi) vessels would be stuck on the wrong side of the event. I read somewhere about the star leagues reaction to the insurrection but I guess that is eighty years later. I look forward to reading it.
Good thing they killed the bugs in time or life may have become very uncomfortable (and short). I guess it depends where the break happens.
tmul4050
Commander
Commander

Postby Crucis on Sun 06 Jan 2013 13:09

tmul4050 wrote:I wonder how many federation (and khanate, gorm and ohpuichi) vessels would be stuck on the wrong side of the event. I read somewhere about the star leagues reaction to the insurrection but I guess that is eighty years later. I look forward to reading it.
Good thing they killed the bugs in time or life may have become very uncomfortable (and short). I guess it depends where the break happens.

My guess is that you probably read about the Star Union's supposed reaction in the Insurrection scenario module. As for how many alliance vessels being stuck on the wrong side of the break, quite a few, though probably mostly FT's, since the Star Union had become a significant new market for Alliance commercial interests. (And it was an absolutely woooooooonnnnnderful time for the Zarkolyans who loved to trade with other races.)

And yes, it would have depended on where the break was as to whether it would have hurt the Star Union in the Bug War. But IIRC, the break would have left the vast majority of Bug space on the Terran/Orion side of the break, rather than the Star Union side. So the Star Union most likely would have cleaned up the remaining Bugs without too much trouble. It's the rest of the Alliance which wouldn't have benefited from adding another major power to their side, along with its new tech (i.e. laser torpedoes, SM2's, Dc, etc.). It probably wouldn't have prevented them from finishing off the Bugs in the end, but it wouldn't have split their attention as it did and would have left the Bugs with more ships to throw at the Alliance fleets.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 06 Jan 2013 17:15

IIRC there were two links from the Star Union to the Alliance. One was from Telik to Franos and up the Prescott chain to Trojan. The other was through Anderson-1. Looking at the map in Shiva, I don't see how both the Star Union and the Zarkolyans get cut off from the Alliance unless system X-2 was the source and the effect took out the warp line as far as Pajzomo. The warp line from X-2 through Reymirnagar to Pajzomo is the only one connecting both Star Union links to the Alliance.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Crucis on Sun 06 Jan 2013 17:43

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:IIRC there were two links from the Star Union to the Alliance. One was from Telik to Franos and up the Prescott chain to Trojan. The other was through Anderson-1. Looking at the map in Shiva, I don't see how both the Star Union and the Zarkolyans get cut off from the Alliance unless system X-2 was the source and the effect took out the warp line as far as Pajzomo. The warp line from X-2 through Reymirnagar to Pajzomo is the only one connecting both Star Union links to the Alliance.

You're incorrectly assuming that the star system in question had already been discovered. It hadn't. And remember that the random nature of WPs tends to mean that WP's do not necessarily link to WPs in the nearest star systems. They don't. Also, it's entirely possible that, for example, Telik and Pajzomo might be in relatively close proximity to each other, astronomically speaking, but be quite distant from each other in terms of the warp line network.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 06 Jan 2013 17:52

Crucis wrote:
AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:IIRC there were two links from the Star Union to the Alliance. One was from Telik to Franos and up the Prescott chain to Trojan. The other was through Anderson-1. Looking at the map in Shiva, I don't see how both the Star Union and the Zarkolyans get cut off from the Alliance unless system X-2 was the source and the effect took out the warp line as far as Pajzomo. The warp line from X-2 through Reymirnagar to Pajzomo is the only one connecting both Star Union links to the Alliance.

You're incorrectly assuming that the star system in question had already been discovered. It hadn't. And remember that the random nature of WPs tends to mean that WP's do not necessarily link to WPs in the nearest star systems. They don't. Also, it's entirely possible that, for example, Telik and Pajzomo might be in relatively close proximity to each other, astronomically speaking, but be quite distant from each other in terms of the warp line network.

Points very well taken. My point is that both Telik and Pajzomo would need to be affected to get the desired effect of cutting contact between the Star Union and Alliance, as well as letting the Pitari have free reign to meddle.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Crucis on Sun 06 Jan 2013 18:23

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:
Crucis wrote:

Points very well taken. My point is that both Telik and Pajzomo would need to be affected to get the desired effect of cutting contact between the Star Union and Alliance, as well as letting the Pitari have free reign to meddle.

Oh, I'm fully aware that there are two points of contact that need to be dealt with. Never fear.

As for the Pitari, I've assumed that they don't have any contact points with the Alliance races, so that's not an issue.

The general idea is that the Star Union will be cut off from their Alliance friends and will begin exploring fairly aggressively, looking for a path back to Alliance space, just in case the old WP's never re-establish themselves. At the same time, the Pitariad will also be exploring aggressively, looking to expand and find new races to conquer.

And in the course of this aggressive exploration, they will both enter a new region of space that I call The Expanse, where there are plenty of new alien races to be found and dangers to be faced.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 06 Jan 2013 18:32

I can't wait to read the back story for Cosmic. It's things like this that got me hooked almost 30 years ago.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Cosmic Starfire