Changes to Electronic Warfare

Discussions about Cosmic Starfire.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Cosmic Starfire is being designed by Fred Burton (aka 'Crucis'). Please direct all inquiries to him.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Changes to Electronic Warfare

Postby Dawn Falcon on Mon 13 May 2013 18:29

tmul4050 wrote:I would love to see the reaction of personnel when asigned to this ship. Sort of like a Forlorn Hope vessel. Encourage desertion I would think. :D

"Stand and take it, men". I'd point to pike blocks of the medieval era...
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Tue 14 May 2013 01:09

Dawn Falcon wrote:
tmul4050 wrote: I would love to see the reaction of personnel when asigned to this ship. Sort of like a Forlorn Hope vessel. Encourage desertion I would think.

Or the first company out and over the trenches in any WWI battle, or the first wave of Landing craft at any beachhead, or ...

Yes, for a few empires this COULD be problematic. Still, for others its just the 'lot they pulled' in life. And still others may have a military disciple that borders on the code of Bushido. Also, My Hive race wouldn't even think of not crewing that ship, nothing is as important as the best good for the HIVE.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Crucis on Tue 14 May 2013 01:37

Vandervecken wrote:
Dawn Falcon wrote:
tmul4050 wrote: I would love to see the reaction of personnel when asigned to this ship. Sort of like a Forlorn Hope vessel. Encourage desertion I would think.

Or the first company out and over the trenches in any WWI battle, or the first wave of Landing craft at any beachhead, or ...

Yes, for a few empires this COULD be problematic. Still, for others its just the 'lot they pulled' in life. And still others may have a military disciple that borders on the code of Bushido. Also, My Hive race wouldn't even think of not crewing that ship, nothing is as important as the best good for the HIVE.

Maybe it's a prison ship, and the "crew" don't even know that it mounts that beacon. Of course, the officers (and maybe the guard "crew") probably know that the beacon is mounted, and I'm sure that they wouldn't be particularly thrilled about it.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Hawkeye on Tue 14 May 2013 09:17

Vandervecken wrote:
Dawn Falcon wrote:

I agree, I didn´t read about mass desertion from the picket DDs in the pacific theater of war in 44/45 and those DDs were pretty much the exact same thing re. kamikazes
"Tell the King: After the battle my head is at his disposal, during the battle he may allow me to use it!"
GenLt. Seydlitz to Frederik the Great after disobeying an order to attack

R. Hoenig, Germany
Hawkeye
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby tmul4050 on Thu 16 May 2013 04:37

Hawkeye wrote:
Vandervecken wrote:
Dawn Falcon wrote:

I agree, I didn´t read about mass desertion from the picket DDs in the pacific theater of war in 44/45 and those DDs were pretty much the exact same thing re. kamikazes

Where would they desert to out of curiosity? "Men you have a choice. Stay on the boat and maybe die, or jump off and definetely die".

Also in WW1 there were large scale acts of mutiny as the war wore on, especially the french and the british to some extent. Definately the russians who threw out their government. (viva la revolution! :D ) Happened a bit in WW2. Usually to units with poor morale.

Besides there is a difference between a good chance of death and no chance at all. I agree that hive empires (and robots and jrill) could use suicide tactics, but using them as a first response is unlikely (yes I know the bugs did ;) )

Seriously I don't really think mass desertion would happen, but morale might take a hit. If it was a green vessel it might surrender or have a mutiny. Maybe.

I still wouldn't want to be on that ship.
tmul4050
Commander
Commander

Postby Hawkeye on Thu 16 May 2013 09:03

Well, I don´t know how things were in the US Navy back in the days, being german _and_ young enough to not be involved at all, but I guess just the news of tin cans being unsed as "hit our ship instead of looking for our BB/CV" pickets could probably have caused moral loss/desertion while the DDs were in port. And I am pretty sure news about those kind of duties could not be suppresed.

When a crew was told _after_ leaving port, you are quite right, there was no way to get away, but those DDs that came back would spread the word.

As far as I can tell (from what I have read) there are two factors that will keep the average soldier/sailor at his post

1. He doesn´t want to appear as a coward to the comrades at his side and
2. He doesn´t want to abbandon his comrades whom he has shared the horrors of war with.

Those factors will work for those picket tin-cans as well as for the proposed damage sponges (yes, morale will very likely be an issue, I agree on that.)

PS: Don´t forget the mutiny of the german navy in 1918, when the crews refused to leave port and "go down in a glorious last battle to save the honor of the navy"
"Tell the King: After the battle my head is at his disposal, during the battle he may allow me to use it!"
GenLt. Seydlitz to Frederik the Great after disobeying an order to attack

R. Hoenig, Germany
Hawkeye
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Dawn Falcon on Thu 16 May 2013 15:52

Well, given the need for WP assault ships, a far more suicidal venture..
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Fri 17 May 2013 00:20

Good point Dawn Falcon.

If you know the enemy is just waiting for ya, and your vessel is in the first few waves of a WP assault, I'd have all my death benefits and insurance up to date no matter what kind of vessel I'm in, eh ? The few who do survive those first few turns of WP transits will probably need a change of underwear. But if you could offer a few cohorts a even small chance of making it alive, that would be a noble thing. Still kinda crazy, but noble. But then maybe I watched the 'Seven Samarui' and 'The Green Berets' too often while I was growing up.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Previous

Return to Cosmic Starfire