Random events

Discussions about Cosmic Starfire.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Cosmic Starfire is being designed by Fred Burton (aka 'Crucis'). Please direct all inquiries to him.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Random events

Postby tmul4050 on Fri 08 Mar 2013 07:08

Here is some food for thought.
Random events are an interesting twist that a star master can put into a game. The first space war game I ever played was a computer game called reach for the stars. I also played Master of orien one and two (blowing the disc up on two: long story). These had random events which were difficulties that were to challenge the player and add flavour. In MMO 2 random events hit the non players as well. They were things like comets moving to destroy planets, economic colapses, population explosions, new tech discoveries and of course a star going nova (a wee problem).

In other wargames, especially campaign wargames, random events were employed. So maybe they could be used as an option in starfire. Obviously not in the canon history (although some of the events that occurred could be considered random events), but as an option for player campaigns.

The chance of a random event should be small but possible (say 1 in 10 keeping to the D10 idea) and is rolled for each player and active NPR. Events should vary from minor to major (but no novas ;) ) and should have an equal chance of being beneficial
Some ideas
- Comet moves to hit planet. Roll randomly for system and planet. If striking an inhabited planet, an armed vessel or fleets can destroy it (say 50 pts of damage to vaporise it in one turn). If striking a gas giant add a bonus to scientific understanding. If the comet hits lose 1D10 by 10 percent of the population and the world becomes hostile.
The comet could be towed (assume 500 HS size) into orbit and mined (Rich asteroid outpost)

- Space Plague :mrgreen: . First month lose 1D10 pop. This doubles each month until a cure is found. Treat cure as a scientific breakthrough

- a new leader appears

- Economic boom. Increase all income from a random system by 10%. lasts until the owner rolls the turns it has lasted on a D10 (eg lasted 3 turns roll 3 or less for it to stop)

- Diplomatic incident. reduce standing with an NPR due to a truly awesome mistake by a diplomat

Obviously there could be many others. In fact the more the better. They could involve science breakthroughs, an insurrection on a planet, a full fledged civil war, A breakthrough allowing communication with a previously uncomunicative race (imagine learning how to talk to bugs. It could have all been a terrible misunderstanding :o :D ) and so on. The trick is low complexity and increased fun. Nothing should be a game ender directly or give an unbeatable advantage.
tmul4050
Commander
Commander

Re: Random events

Postby LesMasters on Fri 08 Mar 2013 15:44

I haven't got my copy of ISF to hand, so I can't check if it had random events in it - but GSF, Ultra and SSF (Sections GG1 & GG2 in SSF).

Les
LesMasters
Captain
Captain

Postby Crucis on Fri 08 Mar 2013 17:27

LesMasters wrote:I haven't got my copy of ISF to hand, so I can't check if it had random events in it - but GSF, Ultra and SSF (Sections GG1 & GG2 in SSF).

Les

You are correct, Les. GSF, USF, and SSF all do have a random events section. And for the record, ISF doesn't.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Fri 08 Mar 2013 21:06

The Galactic Oddities article from Nexus 18 might be a place to start in developing a random events table.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Crucis on Fri 08 Mar 2013 21:23

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:The Galactic Oddities article from Nexus 18 might be a place to start in developing a random events table.

Actually, I'd say that the random events rules in Ultra and Solar are the more likely starting point. While there might be some desire to tweak that's already there, there's no point in re-inventing the wheel.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby tmul4050 on Fri 08 Mar 2013 21:40

I haven't read ultra or solar so I don't know what is there on this. What is the list like? How are they implemented?
tmul4050
Commander
Commander

Postby Crucis on Fri 08 Mar 2013 21:48

tmul4050 wrote:I haven't read ultra or solar so I don't know what is there on this. What is the list like? How are they implemented?

tmul, there's a rather considerable number of random events that come in 6 different categories: major disastrous events, minor disastrous events, unpleasant events, pleasant events, minor benign events, and major benign events.

At the start of each month, each player race has a 20% chance of having the possibility of a random event occurring. If a 1 or 2 is rolled on 1d10, then you roll against the initial table to see which of the above 6 categories of random events have occurred (including "no event"). At that point, you then roll against a table for the appropriate event type, and follow the rules for that particular event.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Cosmic Starfire