ABC warfare

Discussions about Cosmic Starfire.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Cosmic Starfire is being designed by Fred Burton (aka 'Crucis'). Please direct all inquiries to him.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: ABC warfare

Postby Crucis on Tue 19 Mar 2013 07:13

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:One thing that hasn't been considered is a race with high radiation tolerance (Gorm?) combined with a Rigellian mentality/xenophobia. Such a race may have no qualms about nuking hostile aliens.

Well, to use a couple of familiar examples from Starfire fiction...

I could also see if one is faced by a Hive Mind race (aka the Bugs), nuking their worlds may be a legit option in most other races' minds ... particularly if the Hivers have already had a chance to make a meal (literally) out of some of their enemy's world.

Or for that matter, if facing a Rigellian like race bent on genocide of all other alien races, one may feel that one has little choice by to respond in kind.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Tue 19 Mar 2013 07:33

Crucis wrote:
AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:One thing that hasn't been considered is a race with high radiation tolerance (Gorm?) combined with a Rigellian mentality/xenophobia. Such a race may have no qualms about nuking hostile aliens.

I could also see if one is faced by a Hive Mind race (aka the Bugs), nuking their worlds may be a legit option in most other races' minds ... particularly if the Hivers have already had a chance to make a meal (literally) out of some of their enemy's world.

Or for that matter, if facing a Rigellian like race bent on genocide of all other alien races, one may feel that one has little choice by to respond in kind.

I don't dispute either of those cases. What we haven't seen at least to the best of my knowledge is a race that nukes a race to extinction then moves in and sets up shop. The Bugs tended to kill most of the populace then essentially set up Iron Chef Arachnid (tonights secret ingredient in kitchen stadium is human).
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Crucis on Tue 19 Mar 2013 08:02

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:
Crucis wrote:

I don't dispute either of those cases. What we haven't seen at least to the best of my knowledge is a race that nukes a race to extinction then moves in and sets up shop. The Bugs tended to kill most of the populace then essentially set up Iron Chef Arachnid (tonights secret ingredient in kitchen stadium is human).

Well, I believe that we haven't seen that scenario because DW believed that if you nuke a world to totally wipe out a population as was done during ISW's 3 and 4, those worlds stay totally uninhabitable for a VERY long time.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Tue 19 Mar 2013 08:05

You're right. That was alluded to in Insurrection as Li Han's battlegroup was patrolling the dead Bug and Rigellian warp lines.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Previous

Return to Cosmic Starfire