Disapointed with Direction Change

Discussions about Cosmic Starfire.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Cosmic Starfire is being designed by Fred Burton (aka 'Crucis'). Please direct all inquiries to him.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Disapointed with Direction Change

Postby Dawn Falcon on Wed 27 Mar 2013 17:25

Indeed, when I pitched a D20 RPG to Marvin many years ago (didn't happen for a lot of reasons), my primary settings would have been the After The Fall (Charlie/Will's campaign) for 3rd and Center Federation (Harry Dangro's campaign) for 4th.

I only realised recently that I was missing a bunch of Harry's story parts actually ><
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 27 Mar 2013 20:04

I'm reasonably familiar with the early days of Starfire and I know that there were other people involved in the game design (I'm talking about 1st ed which I missed out on). One person that I've met (at Origins 87) had essentially moved on to other projects before I started playing in 1984. That's one reason that I understand the need for a change in direction. We can now have a game that will be reasonably usable with the existing story along with having a new unique story to write. On that note, I'm going to hold off writing more of my Early Years of the Terran Federation fiction for now. I may write more later this year, but I don't want to progress down that path without talking to DW (which should happen at Shore Leave 35 in August).
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby tmul4050 on Mon 29 Apr 2013 03:57

On the story of Cosmic, I am kind of hoping it will something that isn't a clone of the others, i.e. Earth has united under a Terran federation, which is the richest and most awesome (or manly or heroic or fill in your own adjective) polity in space. And that it always wins in the end despite evil aliens, corrupt executives, incompetent politicians and hordes of intelligent creatures that want to kill everyone (and maybe eat them :D ). Solar Starfire seems much the same except the rulers are corrupt and...er bad. I don't even know if Ultra has one.

How about these for ideas
- Earth is run by corporations, opposed by colonists who rebel against them (down below station)
- Earth is hired by aliens to fight a war for them (several different authors) and has a military government
- Imperial Earth (good empire)
- Imperial Earth (bad empire)
- Imperial Earth (decadent and collapsing) sort like Dune
- Earth is destroyed and humanity is now refugees searching for a home (many authors, but Battlestar Galactica is the best example)
- Earth has joined a coalition of races who fight an implacable enemy (kind of the same as no. 2 but with more earth freedom of action)
- The differing nations on earth are establishing colonies, and oppose each other
- Don't use Earth at all
and so on
tmul4050
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Mon 29 Apr 2013 19:34

tmul4050 wrote:Solar Starfire seems much the same except the rulers are corrupt and...er bad. I don't even know if Ultra has one.

Just to point out, you've seen only a single short story. You'll be disappointed (or, maybe not) that your early assessment won't be exactly accurate :)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Mon 29 Apr 2013 20:08

I could see Earth eventually being part of an interstellar coalition at some point. The question becomes how quickly the Terrans discover other star faring races. If what they find at first are races less developed, you might see a superiority complex arise.

Another option might be a Draka like scenario, where there are two diametrically opposed factions of humanity. One could be a group much like ourselves, while the other would be a more totalitarian society that treats non citizens as indentured labor or worse.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby tmul4050 on Tue 30 Apr 2013 18:32

Cralis wrote:
tmul4050 wrote:Solar Starfire seems much the same except the rulers are corrupt and...er bad. I don't even know if Ultra has one.

Just to point out, you've seen only a single short story. You'll be disappointed (or, maybe not) that your early assessment won't be exactly accurate :)

I would never be disappointed over new fiction and a setting being different to what I believed. And I did enjoy the short story to which you refer. I just haven't seen much else on it, and I 'll admit I haven't looked hard. But reading it seemed to say that earth was ruled by a nastier version of the original work. I stand by to be disproven.
tmul4050
Commander
Commander

Postby Xveers on Tue 30 Apr 2013 23:35

Cralis wrote:One of the things I really like about STARFIRE is that it is so easily moldable for custom campaigns. We've had a rich history of player-run campaigns that are unique and interesting. From Kurt Blackwelder's Pheonix Campaign (viewforum.php?f=51) to Xveer's deWulf Universe (viewforum.php?f=19) to Procyon's family's Nemesis Campaign (viewforum.php?f=56)... and everything before, between, and after!

Woo I got mentioned!
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Dawn Falcon on Wed 01 May 2013 22:13

This isn't the golden age, the days of black and white in interstellar empires are long gone :)
I've always liked the Phoenix Campaign for mixed motivations.

Some of my non-starfire fiction, in a private shared Universe...well, I'm in charge of the Humans. Who go to great lengths to conceal the fact that about a third of the race, on the back side of their space to galactic civilisation, is in revolt. Of course, THAT'S because if they show weakness, one of galactic great powers is likely to conquer or genocide them.
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 01 May 2013 23:06

tmul4050 wrote:I would never be disappointed over new fiction and a setting being different to what I believed. And I did enjoy the short story to which you refer. I just haven't seen much else on it, and I 'll admit I haven't looked hard. But reading it seemed to say that earth was ruled by a nastier version of the original work. I stand by to be disproven.

I realized after releasing 6.01 that we were not getting the rules converted fast enough. So I stopped working on the background so I could focus on getting the rules done (which we want to have done by v6.03...the next one). Then I should be able to focus on the background story and new technologies...

But I'll see what I can do to get some more background out, and soon.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby tmul4050 on Thu 02 May 2013 19:00

Absolutly cool :D I look forward to it.
tmul4050
Commander
Commander

Previous

Return to Cosmic Starfire