Evasive Maneuvering and Engine Modulation

Discussions about Cosmic Starfire.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Cosmic Starfire is being designed by Fred Burton (aka 'Crucis'). Please direct all inquiries to him.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Evasive Maneuvering and Engine Modulation

Postby Crucis on Sat 27 Apr 2013 14:02

tmul4050 wrote:I have looked through what people have said and much here makes sense. But I have two reasons why em should be kept.

First it is canon, although only in the literature. In the last scenario of ISW3 was the phrase "the wildly evading carriers" referring to the RPSA carriers trying to avoid damage. Also fighter evasion is in many of the novels. I realise that this may no longer be important due to the "cosmic announcement". :)

Thanks for pointing out that you understand the possible implications due to the "Cosmic Announcement". However, I think that it's highly unlikely that Evasive Maneuvering will be removed from Cosmic, regardless of any differences in history.

Second is the distances and speed involved. Unless it has changed a vessel can move about 10% C (some faster, some slower). thats approx 30000kps. Take a vessel firing at 4LS. in the four seconds it takes for the beam to hit the vessel has traveled 120000km. even a small course change can result in a dramatic change of position. Even with the multiple shots idea above that has to have a significant effect on accuracy. remember once the shot has fired it cannot change course so a course shift can generate a miss chance. With guns this would be worse, missiles might just ignore it.

The actual speed of Starfire ships differs from edition to edition... specifically from pure 3E to 3rdR. In pure 3E, a speed 6 ship moves at 10% C, whereas in 3rdR that same ship is only moving at 5% C. This is due to a scale change.

And while the scale change addressed one issue, it created another one that seems to have been overlooked. That is, it screwed up the Interception Scale. I intend to address this in Cosmic.

Just my 10 cents worth

No problem, keep flinging those 10 cents into the mix.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby tmul4050 on Thu 02 May 2013 19:15

A somewhat radical idea. Link EM to turn mode. In other words say that a ship can impose a penalty to incoming fire up to the vessels turn mode subtracted from five. And that the vessel suffers a fire penalty of its own.

So, for example, a vessel with a turn mode of 2 could dodge up to minus three to hit rolls, both its fire and any attackers.

This could be linked to increasing the vessels turn mode for changing course. Using the above example, the vessel's turn mode for course changes would be 5.
tmul4050
Commander
Commander

Postby Crucis on Sun 05 May 2013 21:41

tmul4050 wrote:A somewhat radical idea. Link EM to turn mode. In other words say that a ship can impose a penalty to incoming fire up to the vessels turn mode subtracted from five. And that the vessel suffers a fire penalty of its own.

So, for example, a vessel with a turn mode of 2 could dodge up to minus three to hit rolls, both its fire and any attackers.

This could be linked to increasing the vessels turn mode for changing course. Using the above example, the vessel's turn mode for course changes would be 5.

Actually, tmul, evasive maneuvering is already tied to turn mode. The cost of the first point of EM is equal to a ship's TM. Furthermore, any misses generated by the EM penalty to incoming to-hit rolls pretty much already emulates misses generated by the ship's evasive maneuvers.

Tying EvMan to TM the way I've described means that ships with low TM's will have the ability to maneuver evasively reasonably well, while large ships with large TM's will find it much more difficult to perform evasive maneuvering.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Previous

Return to Cosmic Starfire