Small Craft progression

Discussions about Cosmic Starfire.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Cosmic Starfire is being designed by Fred Burton (aka 'Crucis'). Please direct all inquiries to him.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Small Craft progression

Postby Zume on Fri 20 Nov 2009 20:50

Inbetween writing chapters I wondered why fighters and gunboats get multiple generational versions while most small craft don't. So I made a table that included the historical small craft (except the 2nd gen assault shuttle and pinnace) as well as craft I came up with. It's a work in progress, hopefully finalized by the end of the year.

http://members.cox.net/desslok/small-craft-table.htm

--Zume
Zume
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Small Craft progression

Postby Dawn Falcon on Wed 02 Dec 2009 15:31

Well, it's up to Fred if he wants to give details at this stage, but... quite, and something is planned :)
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Crucis on Fri 12 Mar 2010 00:16

Zume wrote:In between writing chapters I wondered why fighters and gunboats get multiple generational versions while most small craft don't.

I never replied to this reasonable question (or Dawn Falcon's response) when it first came out, but I think that I'll reply now...

How can I put this... other than combat small craft, non-combat small craft are largely below the mental radar screen for many people. And even then, those "non-combat" small craft only seem to be of any relative importance when they're used in combat, for ramming, or perhaps as counter-rammers or lower tech anti-fighter craft. This isn't to say that non-combat smallcraft don't serve a purpose in the grand scheme of things. It's just that I'm thinking that those purposes are not of great interest to a considerable number of people (though obviously not you... ;) ). Heck, there are some people who could be happy if non-combat small craft were removed entirely (not that it's at all likely to happen in Cosmic).

Let's look at your table of house tech generational smallcraft. You have 3 generations of cutters. While I won't dispute that logically if one placed one's self in a Starfire universe technologically improved cutters might be entirely possible. But from a game designer's or perhaps a game player's perspective, is it really worth the time and effort, and additional complexity, and additional space within the rules mass to add two (or more) generations of cutters (or shuttles)?

I won't say that there isn't room for new small craft tech however.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Zume on Sun 14 Mar 2010 17:30

I can see your point, C. Unless the craft is armed in some way then its just backstory. You can easily skip the 2nd gen editions of all the small non-ordnance carrying craft. At Tech Level 16 the case can be made that all the necessary adjustments and tech would allow the 3rd gen craft I came up with to be actualized. At that level, in an indirect way, they can be eve more useful, ferrying personnel and cargo without tying down ships. It just seems that while the fighters and gunboats get all the goodies the other small craft became the red-headed stepchildren in the Starfire universe. You don't see gunboat carrying supplies strapped onto their hulls like so many overloaded trucks now, do you? :)

Eventually I will finish up the Cazov chapter. I'm getting over the funk of seeing of my small craft table plagerized in the latest Skymarshal.

Zume
Zume
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby coldsteel on Wed 17 Mar 2010 19:08

Honestly, the only thing I use unarmed small craft for is in survey squadrons to survey habitable planets while the EX/S look for warp points.
TFN: 1 BB, 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 11 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Commander
Commander

Postby Crucis on Wed 17 Mar 2010 21:08

coldsteel wrote:Honestly, the only thing I use unarmed small craft for is in survey squadrons to survey habitable planets while the EX/S look for warp points.

Doh! I completely forgot about this use. :oops:

(But I didn't forget about it in the chapter on surveying in the Cosmic rules... ;) )
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby aramis on Wed 17 Mar 2010 21:33

In the case of small craft, upgrades need what, a line or two on a table each, and a paragraph per generation?

Adding the additional generations shouldn't be terrible much inconvinience, and those who don't use them simply won't develop them, but the increases in survey speeds...
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby krenshala on Thu 18 Mar 2010 13:22

You could probably get away with one paragraph per type, not per generation (e.g., one para for shuttles, one for gigs, one for pinnaces (sp?), assuming you do multi-generation for each).
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby aramis on Thu 18 Mar 2010 19:53

krenshala wrote:You could probably get away with one paragraph per type, not per generation (e.g., one para for shuttles, one for gigs, one for pinnaces (sp?), assuming you do multi-generation for each).

I meant a situation like

¶1 Launch
¶2 Shuttle
¶3 Pinnace
¶4 Gen 2 small craft
¶5 Gen 3 small craft

With paragraphs 4 & 5 reading something like
At TL _, new drive technology improvements improve the various small craft to the performance shown for generation _.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Club on Fri 19 Mar 2010 02:16

It does seem a bit odd that at EL 20 you have the same shuttles as you did almost immediately after you get into space. Maybe make the basic statline for shuttles and assault shuttles dependent on EL, or smcrft SL? You get free upgrades as you get more advanced?

-----

aramis, What do you mean for gen2 and 3 smallcraft, armed with missiles or something like 3rd?
TAG: As I understand it, he sought to avoid turning one-point-six trillion Terran sophonts into undead, war-mongering super-soldiers.
Captain Tagon: It it wrong for me to think that would be pretty cool to watch?

http://www.schlockmercenary.com
Club
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Next

Return to Cosmic Starfire