Tangri?

Discussions about Cosmic Starfire.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Cosmic Starfire is being designed by Fred Burton (aka 'Crucis'). Please direct all inquiries to him.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Tangri?

Postby miketr on Sun 28 Mar 2010 20:27

Besides the blurb about them in the Insurrection Module where else can you find a description for them? I didn't see them in Stars at War.

Michael
miketr
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Re: Tangri?

Postby Club on Sun 28 Mar 2010 22:53

E-bay currently has the book - starfire, first contact. SDS may have it in electronic, although I'm not sure of that.
TAG: As I understand it, he sought to avoid turning one-point-six trillion Terran sophonts into undead, war-mongering super-soldiers.
Captain Tagon: It it wrong for me to think that would be pretty cool to watch?

http://www.schlockmercenary.com
Club
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby aramis on Mon 29 Mar 2010 02:42

Webber & White's Starfire novels have been available from Baen Books' Free Library (http://www.baen.com/library/). Some are currently free. Crusade is. (It's the companion novel to the game supplement.)

Further, http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/20-T ... /index.htm is hosting, with baen's permission, the CDrom for download; it includes Stars At War and SAW II, and Exodus.

It's been a while, so I don't remember which ones directly correspond, but... legal reading copy at no charge other than the download.

(for details, head to the Baen Free Library.)
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby miketr on Mon 29 Mar 2010 06:36

Stars At War is two sets of works. The Baen one is an anthology of the various starfire novels written by Weber and White. The other is a Task Force Games product covers the first two Interstellar Wars, Khan - Gorm War and Third Interstellar War of the Grand Alliance vs. the Rigilians.
miketr
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Fri 13 Jul 2012 19:22

I realize that this is an ancient topic but for those not familiar with the older edition of the game, the Tangri didn't appear in the timeline until the middle of ISW-4. The old Task Force products had very little on the Tangri for 3rd ed. There were articles in the old Nexus magazine for 2nd edition.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Crucis on Fri 14 Sep 2012 21:00

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:I realize that this is an ancient topic but for those not familiar with the older edition of the game, the Tangri didn't appear in the timeline until the middle of ISW-4. The old Task Force products had very little on the Tangri for 3rd ed. There were articles in the old Nexus magazine for 2nd edition.

Yes, this is true. The very first appearance of the Tangri was in the Nexus mag article (in issue #2) that covered ISW-4. And there were 2 or 3 other Nexus scenario/story articles involving incidents between the Tangri and the Terrans. Only later on was there a 3rd ed book that included the Tangri, along with another race that I don't remember off the top of my head.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby reddavid on Fri 14 Sep 2012 21:58

First Contact (1993) first described the Corsairs of Tangri. The other race is The Vestrii running from the dread Hre'Daak!

Alkelda Dawn (1994) is a campaign for the Vestrii. They fought the Kess and the J'Rill centries before First Contact.
Let me cry and I will take on the world
reddavid
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Crucis on Fri 14 Sep 2012 22:31

reddavid wrote:First Contact (1993) first described the Corsairs of Tangri. The other race is The Vestrii running from the dread Hre'Daak!

Yeah, I thought that it was the Vestrii, but didn't want to commit to it without digging out First Contact to verify it.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Fri 14 Sep 2012 23:28

FYI, for anyone who isn't aware, both First Contact and Alkeda Dawn are not part of the official Weber history. There is some information about the Tangri in it, but all of the history surrounding the Vestrii are not part of the Weber history.

As such, we at the SDS don't count it as part of the history.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sat 15 Sep 2012 04:55

Other than a possible Encyclopedia Galactica entry I'm not sure that there is any official canon material on the Tangri in 3rd ed. I'm still reading through ISW-4 and Insurrection, but there are no Tangri scenarios and very in the interludes.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Next

Return to Cosmic Starfire