Tangri?

Discussions about Cosmic Starfire.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Cosmic Starfire is being designed by Fred Burton (aka 'Crucis'). Please direct all inquiries to him.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Tangri?

Postby Otterman on Fri 03 Oct 2014 09:25

Crucis wrote: Dave just had a different view of game balance than Marvin, etc. when SDS wrote the Insurrection scenario module and created the official version of the HBM (which, quite frankly, I have some serious issues with).

Ugh, I messed around with that thing forever. I still have my pages of notes, as well. I can't even remember what form it was in when I sent the first draft to Marvin.

Did the fast-firing primary beam ever make it into that supplement? The idea was from Ken Burnside.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Otterman on Sun 05 Oct 2014 17:40

To clarify, I didn't write THE rules, just some rules, that were submitted to Mr. Lamb. I have no idea what the final state of the HBM rules are/were.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Tue 07 Oct 2014 01:39

Actually I don't remember either. If I think about it, I'll go look in the Insurrection rules tomorrow (unless someone else beats me to it).

I do know that in 3rd Marvin was very considered about run-away balance on the technology. It makes great stories, but it's danged hard to keep games competitive that way.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Otterman on Tue 07 Oct 2014 12:14

Ken's concept was this: the description of the primary beam was that its lensing apparatus needed to "cool down", which made it fire every other turn. So, add another set of lens contraptions that would move into place while the first set cooled down, rinse, lather, repeat. Net effect was a 50% space increase for a 100% fire rate increase. We rationalized that it need TL 13+ or higher for special material development.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Dawn Falcon on Wed 08 Oct 2014 12:58

Otterman wrote:Did the fast-firing primary beam ever make it into that supplement? The idea was from Ken Burnside.

No, although it did get a shout-out in the rules for the Pc2, which got multiple damage points instead.

(And the Rim's Fvc got the ability to fire as either a Fc2 or Pc in a 6HS package, but had a cooldown after using Pc mode)
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Previous

Return to Cosmic Starfire