A new way to look at Habitability

Discussions about Cosmic Starfire.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Cosmic Starfire is being designed by Fred Burton (aka 'Crucis'). Please direct all inquiries to him.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: A new way to look at Habitability

Postby Crucis on Tue 01 Jun 2010 12:50

drakar wrote:I myself prefer the added realism and have so far never had a campaign spiral to the point of being unable to manage it on a pnp setting. My only preference to the first over the third is the fact that if you need a table in order to do it in comparison to the point of just being able to execute it with a couple rolls and some simple math.

Drakar, added realism is all well and good. I just don't really think that there's any to be found when you use a wrap-around mechanism. :|
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Tue 01 Jun 2010 13:55

Also, speaking from an Excel standpoint, coding in the wraparound mechanics is probably the most frustrating part of habitability math :P
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby drakar on Tue 01 Jun 2010 18:24

Xveers wrote:Also, speaking from an Excel standpoint, coding in the wraparound mechanics is probably the most frustrating part of habitability math :P

Understood there. I just have never once used a spreadsheet i guess i am more old fashioned and have it all as PNP so that i know it wont crash on me.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war."
Plato
drakar
Captain
Captain

Postby krenshala on Fri 04 Jun 2010 20:12

Just to throw additional data in here, the method I'm using in my game is in the same vein, but done much closer to the original (3rdR/ULTRA) style.

Hab ratings are still d10, but don't wrap. Mass is part of the "true" hab rating. Thus the HI for a race is mass+HI roll of their homeworld. e.g., a mass 2 world with a HI roll of 3 gives a racial HI of 23 in my game. I treat habitable (non-twin) moons as mass 1, and HGT as mass 0 for this system. This gives me

Code: Select all
mass:    0000000000111111111122222222223333333333
hi roll: 0123456789012345678901234567890123456789

I use hab ranges of +/- 3 for benign, +/- 5 beyond that as harsh, and anything else as hostile. So a mass 2 race from a world with a hab index of 8 would have (homeworld (*), (B)enign, (H)arsh, or Hostile (-)):

Code: Select all
mass:    0000000000111111111122222222223333333333
hi roll: 0123456789012345678901234567890123456789
comfort: --------------------HHHHHBBB*BBBHHHHH---

It still lacks realism in a number of ways (its only dealing with gravity and the ill-defined "hab-index"), but for me it allows some mass 3 worlds to be non-hostile to some mass 2 races, some mass 2 worlds to be non-hostile to some mass 3 races.

Fred, you might be able to incorporate something like this into what you are trying to do ...
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 04 Jul 2012 17:00

While I like the added realism, the increase in complexity takes away from the game IMO. I like the relative simplicity of ISF compared with later editions. I'm currently working on an expanded planet type table to allow for recent discoveries yet still be simple enough to work with 3rd/ISF. it's designed to allow T/ST races to colonize ST/T worlds but with smaller maximum population. It should also limit the number of potential outposts/colonies in the system. Biggest problem so far is that I'm doing this from memory as I lost my copy of ISF years ago.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 11 Jul 2012 06:17

Here is my current HF table. I'm using Temperature, Axial Tilt, Hydrosphere, Gravity and Biologic Compatabity on a d100 roll.

Temperature 0 degrees to 100 degrees celsius (Earth would be 18)
Axial Tilt 0 degrees to 90 degrees in 0.9 degree increments. (Earth would be 26 in this system)
Hydrosphere 0=desert 100=all ocean (Earth would be about 70)
Gravity 0.26g to 2.26g in .02g increments (Earth would be 37)
Biologic Compatability This value wraps around on a d100 scale. Max difference is 50. Designed to reflect differences in sugar/amino acid chirality. I gave Earth an arbitrary value of 50. At max difference you would have a complete mismatch.

As far as maximum population size for Habitable worlds I'm using the following levels

HD within 50 of HF Very Large
HD 51-100 of HF Large
HD 101-200 of HF Medium
HD 201-300 of HF Small
HD 301+ 0f HF Settlement

I was unable to fit the Gorm as written into this system without completely biasing the results for habitable worlds to having gravity above 1.0g Therefore the Gorm wind up with Gormus being a planet with 2.26g

Next post will be about my expanded planet types.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 11 Jul 2012 07:41

Here are my current planet/moon types

O-1 Mercury
O-2 Mars
O-3 Cold Earth
V Venus
T Earth/ Habitable
DJ Gas Dwarf (Jupiter density but smaller)
J Jupiter
HJ Hot Jupiter
SJ Super Jupiter
N Neptune
HN Hot Neptune (Neptune density but in the Inner System)
P Pluto

A Small Moon/ Asteroid
B Large Moon
I Icy Moon

next post will have where these planet types occur.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 11 Jul 2012 08:03

Inner System inside HZ
Mass 1= O-1
Mass 2= V
Mass 3 =HJ (If HJ rolled aller inner orbits become Asteroids)

Inner System IN HZ
Mass 1= O-2
Mass 2= T
Mass 3 =HN

Inner System beyond HZ
Mass 1= O-2
Mass 2= O-3
Mass 3= DJ

Mid System
Mass 1= O-1
Mass 2= J
Mass 3= SJ (If J or SJ rolled 20% chance for next inner orbit to be Asteroids

Outer System
Mass 1= P
Mass 2= N
Mass 3= N ( If last orbit is mass 3 treat it as Asteroid Belt

Asteroid Belts 1 outpost/system hex unless in HZ or Outer System. IN HZ 1 colony/system hex. In Outer System no population but ground base/asteroid fort can be emplaced.
Type I moons are Small Moons orbiting Type N/P planets
Large moons are possible orbiting any Mass 2/3 planet
Large moons in the Inner System have a 10% chance of being Mass 2 worlds.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Previous

Return to Cosmic Starfire