Starfire without WP's?

Discussions about Cosmic Starfire.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Cosmic Starfire is being designed by Fred Burton (aka 'Crucis'). Please direct all inquiries to him.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Starfire without WP's?

Postby Dawn Falcon on Sun 22 Jul 2012 16:26

Well, my WZ's are not wormholes, they're points where the gravitational interactions of the two systems "line up", allowing ships to instantly travel between them :)

Hence, they rotate along with the system. (In practice, the rotation would not be synchronised, but Starfire already abstracts that one away)
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 22 Jul 2012 16:31

It's a neat idea. Is there a distance limit where the systems can line up? And can systems line up with multiple systems?
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Dawn Falcon on Sun 22 Jul 2012 21:13

I'd need to come up with a standard for mapping.

Certainly there would be a "distance", essentially it's something based on how many links we'd want the average system to have. Also, technically, unlike WP's there could always be multiple connections between the same two systems, but WZ's would always be 1-1.

Heck, I'd be inclined to take it further and mesh it with a multi-hull type and long/short jump system, Capitals/Carriers (big hulls, expensive, long and short-jump capable, Ic engines only, @ bonuses, +3 range bonus), Warships (small hulls, short-jump capable), Riders (small hulls, no jump capacity, cheaper) and System Defence Boats (small hulls, very cheap, no jump and x3 size on @ racks, +1 speed)

(This also limits heavy energy weapons to capitals/carriers, and capital energy weapons to capitals/carriers and warships - it's a reactor size/output thing!)
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Mon 23 Jul 2012 03:58

Your idea would work well using a hex map to locate systems,
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby tmul4050 on Tue 24 Jul 2012 05:23

interesting. How would you phase the movement between players, or would it all be preplotted.
tmul4050
Commander
Commander

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Tue 24 Jul 2012 19:56

I would use plotted movement at the strategic level and pulsed movement at lower levels.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Dawn Falcon on Wed 25 Jul 2012 09:44

I always use plotted movement, up until "new information" (message or sensor contact) comes to light.
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Wed 25 Jul 2012 20:02

That does make sense when moving in known systems. Entering an unknown system by definition brings up new information so pulsed movement would be appropriate.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Dawn Falcon on Fri 27 Jul 2012 15:41

Not really, it just means you need a detailed written SOP :)
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Fri 27 Jul 2012 16:09

Properly worded SOP would work. It's just making sure you have it right or you wind up with potential disaster.
Charles Rosenberg.

AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Cosmic Starfire