Minefield and Weapon Buoy attrition

Discussions about Cosmic Starfire.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Cosmic Starfire is being designed by Fred Burton (aka 'Crucis'). Please direct all inquiries to him.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Minefield and Weapon Buoy attrition

Postby Zume on Wed 29 Dec 2010 16:52

Assuming a player enters an enemy system, and is in a position to monitor said enemy's automated defenses (mines and buoys), will he be able to interdict the invisible hand of the IFN and thus deny maintenance on those defenses? What would be the monthly attrition rate?

I'd say for mines it would be 5% (round down) of the current monthly total for each location in a system being actively guarded by an armed ship would be lost due to a lack of maintenance plus one pattern. So for a 600 pattern (30,000 individual mines) minefield around a warp point that would be 30 + 1 patterns for the first month without maintenance. Next month it would be 28 + 1 patterns, the third 27 +1, and so on. Weapon buoys can be handled the same way, though this is mostly applicable to those surrounding other warp points in the system the player has entered. More over, the monitoring player could simply send an assault shuttle, pinnace, or fighter to shoot down those other buoys at his leisure.
Zume
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Minefield and Weapon Buoy attrition

Postby Cralis on Wed 29 Dec 2010 18:16

I'm assuming you are talking about 3rd edition? Or are you talking about making it possible for Cosmic Starfire?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Zume on Wed 29 Dec 2010 21:00

3rd Edition. I don't recall any rule that gives the 'shelf life' of mines and buoys that are left unmaintained, cut off from the owning player's empire.
Zume
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Thu 30 Dec 2010 00:27

Zume wrote:3rd Edition. I don't recall any rule that gives the 'shelf life' of mines and buoys that are left unmaintained, cut off from the owning player's empire.

I thought there was a rule about losing 10% of the total in SM#2? I can't remember. I don't even know where my 3rd edition rules are right now =(
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Starfire on Wed 05 Jan 2011 22:01

Cralis wrote:
Zume wrote:3rd Edition. I don't recall any rule that gives the 'shelf life' of mines and buoys that are left unmaintained, cut off from the owning player's empire.

I thought there was a rule about losing 10% of the total in SM#2? I can't remember. I don't even know where my 3rd edition rules are right now =(

SM#2
06.04.01b This system assumes that a service contract for the maintenance of DSB, MF, and IDEW is included in the purchase price of those systems.

So there are no rules covering the interruption of maintenance, but a 5% delay per month sounds about right.
Nerf rock, paper is fine. signed:Scissors.
Starfire
Marvin Lamb
Marvin Lamb

Return to Cosmic Starfire