Starfire novels

Starfire campaign histories, fan fiction, and talking about fiction.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Please post new fiction in a separate thread. The search engine can find all related fiction. Have fun! Just let us know who wins.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Any Starfire-related fiction and campaign-related materials are welcomed here. Player submissions in this forum are the property and responsibility of the author.

Starfire novels

Postby castellan on Wed 02 Sep 2009 18:18

i was wondering if there was another book after the EXODUS novel ?
castellan
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Re: Starfire novels

Postby Crucis on Wed 02 Sep 2009 19:53

Not to the best of my knowledge. I'd still love to see the sequel to EXODUS, even though it was IMHO the weakest of the Starfire novels to date.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Club on Wed 02 Sep 2009 22:52

I tend to agree. "Oh no, we don't understand the new aliens, and they're indifferent to losses" Is less than original. Add a 'human plot' largely soap, and a reliance on tech for 'tactical plot.'

The books I would want to see are the early ISWs, especially ISW 3. Doubt it's going to happen though.
TAG: As I understand it, he sought to avoid turning one-point-six trillion Terran sophonts into undead, war-mongering super-soldiers.
Captain Tagon: It it wrong for me to think that would be pretty cool to watch?

http://www.schlockmercenary.com
Club
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Crucis on Wed 02 Sep 2009 23:10

Club wrote:I tend to agree. "Oh no, we don't understand the new aliens, and they're indifferent to losses" Is less than original. Add a 'human plot' largely soap, and a reliance on tech for 'tactical plot.'

The books I would want to see are the early ISWs, especially ISW 3. Doubt it's going to happen though.

I actually didn't mind the aliens' indifference to losses because the justification was OK for me.

I didn't like the way that the book ended. Not because of it essentially being part 1 of 2, but because giving away the solution to the strategic problem near the end of the first book just seems the wrong way to write a story. It seems like you're giving away the good stuff that should be in the next book.

Beyond that, there was something about the flow of the story, particularly on the Alliance side that just didn't feel right. It's hard to explain. Maybe there weren't enough battle sequences. The alien side of things actually felt better to me.

But the flow of the book always felt a bit off. Regardless, I still hope that the second part gets written at some point.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Thu 03 Sep 2009 00:42

My biggest problem with Exodus was the HUGE leap in technology. Well, for that matter you have it in Insurrection as well. Technology seems to advance x1000 fold in a few years and then nothing seems to happen between books at all.

I mean, pace yourself, or else you'll run out of things to write about!

Read REVELATIONS, the Grand Alliance meets omnipotent God and beats him!

(I jest, but I'm always afraid a series that moves that quickly will run into this problem and either stop or get silly).
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Thu 03 Sep 2009 00:47

Topic moved to Starfire Fiction Forum. Shadow topic will be removed in 48 hours.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Crucis on Thu 03 Sep 2009 01:30

Cralis wrote:My biggest problem with Exodus was the HUGE leap in technology. Well, for that matter you have it in Insurrection as well. Technology seems to advance x1000 fold in a few years and then nothing seems to happen between books at all.

Well, Dave did explain that in Insurrection, saying that the nations of the Alliance agreed to restrain themselves in their R&D efforts, at least in terms of deploying new tech, because they didn't want find themselves in an arms races with each other, nor incur the expense of same... Some R&D was done, but the results were stored up for later use... with "later use" being the Terran Civil War...

I do agree that the Desai Drive was over the top in Exodus, however.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Dawn Falcon on Thu 03 Sep 2009 17:29

Cralis wrote:My biggest problem with Exodus was the HUGE leap in technology. Well, for that matter you have it in Insurrection as well. Technology seems to advance x1000 fold in a few years and then nothing seems to happen between books at all.

I mean, pace yourself, or else you'll run out of things to write about!

At least without getting into transhuman themes.
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Otterman on Thu 18 Feb 2010 10:20

I thought the general idea behind the Desai drive was interesting - something that provides a speed boost sufficiently far away from interesting terrain. However, said speed boost was crazy good. Wasn't it something like 70% C? Something more appropriate would be a speed increase to 18 (30% C), with some restrictions.

1) Large component size. This is beneficial to force a trade-off between strategic speed and weapons/shielding.
2) Make the trip require a committment, such as 6 tactical turns to start, destination unalterable once movement begins.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Crucis on Thu 18 Feb 2010 22:54

Otterman wrote:I thought the general idea behind the Desai drive was interesting - something that provides a speed boost sufficiently far away from interesting terrain. However, said speed boost was crazy good. Wasn't it something like 70% C? Something more appropriate would be a speed increase to 18 (30% C), with some restrictions.

1) Large component size. This is beneficial to force a trade-off between strategic speed and weapons/shielding.
2) Make the trip require a committment, such as 6 tactical turns to start, destination unalterable once movement begins.

Otterman, the Desai Drive (DD) is somewhat similar in concept to a hyperdrive that cannot be used within a certain distance of a star system's star, i.e. within the star's "hyper limit".

I don't recall the details of the Desai Drive, i.e. how far a ship must be from a planet or star (outside its gravity well) to engage the DD. I also don't remember if the DD can be used in tactical combat or not. I recall that there was a reference in EXODUS that the DD made fighters largely obsolete, but this could be pretty much true, if even if DD-equipped ships simply engaged their DD and ran away from enemy fighters.

Also remember that there are two versions of the Desai Drive mentioned in EXODUS. The first is the one that's "currently" in use by the PSU, the Desai Drive, whose top speed is 50% of C. And the second is the more advanced version, called "Desai Prime" (DP), IIRC, which would have a top speed of about 85% of C. (I took both speed numbers directly from the book.) Also, the DP drive can only move at its max speed, or not at all, and is apparently quite large.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Next

Return to Starfire Fiction