Starfire novels

Starfire campaign histories, fan fiction, and talking about fiction.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Please post new fiction in a separate thread. The search engine can find all related fiction. Have fun! Just let us know who wins.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Any Starfire-related fiction and campaign-related materials are welcomed here. Player submissions in this forum are the property and responsibility of the author.

Re: Starfire novels

Postby Otterman on Fri 19 Feb 2010 08:30

Yeah, that sounds about right. Has anybody posted a list of Exodus tech with page references? I did something like that on a legal pad while I was reading, but haven't converted it to softcopy.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Crucis on Fri 19 Feb 2010 17:56

I just happened to do a google search on "Exodus Starfire Novel" and came across this interesting piece of news...

http://sfscope.com/2010/01/chuck-gannon-to-continue-weber.html

Chuck Gannon joins Steve White to continue Starfire Universe
By Ian Randal Strock January 29, 2010

Agent Michael Kabongo of The Onyxhawke Agency reports that his client, Chuck Gannon, has signed on to collaborate with Steve White to continue the Starfire Universe. White and Gannon are writing book six, to be titled Extremis, for Baen Books. Gannon's fiction has previously appeared in Analog Science Fiction and Fact, and he also wrote for the Traveller and 2300 AD games.

The Starfire Universe novels grew out of the strategy game Starfire, which was first published in 1979. The books, by Steve White and David Weber, debuted with Insurrection in 1990. White and Weber continued the series with Crusade (1992), In Death Ground (1997), and The Shiva Option (2002). The most recent volume, Exodus, was co-written by White and Shirley Meier, and published in 2007.

Very interesting.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby dazrand on Fri 19 Feb 2010 21:11

Indeed, very interesting. I agree that Exodus was not as good as it could have been, but I hate having a story half-told. Do hope they finish it, even though the atmosphere and cadence will likely be different.
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Crucis on Sat 20 Feb 2010 16:33

dazrand wrote:Indeed, very interesting. I agree that Exodus was not as good as it could have been, but I hate having a story half-told. Do hope they finish it, even though the atmosphere and cadence will likely be different.

I'm with you on half-told stories. Given that this was the first Starfire novel done without Dave Weber, and with a relative unknown (at least to me) co-writing with Steve White, it might have been a better idea of have tried to kept it to a single book.

While the underlying concept was ok for me, the flow of the story never felt right. Also, if you compare it to, say, INSURRECTION, it felt like a LOT more things happened in Insurrection than in Exodus. And while I was aware that a number of characters from Insurrection would be in Exodus, it seemed like they spent an inordinate amount of time reminiscing about the old days (from Insurrection). I know that it's probably fairly realistic to expect this, but for me it seemed to drag the overall story down. I actually often found the alien sides (Arduans and Tangri) of the novel more interesting.

Once last gripe that I had about EXODUS was that I felt that it was bad storytelling, at least for a story that strongly appears to be a two-parter, to give the "solution" to the strategic problem in the first book. Putting the solution to the problem in the first book removes much of the suspense from the second book, since it would seem to me that much of that suspense would always be "how" do you resolve the strategic deadlock. With the solution to the deadlock presented, the second half of the story almost seems superfluous.

Anyways, I look forward to reading the second half of the story, assuming that that's what the previously mentioned book will be. I think that the two plot elements I'll be most interested in reading are the Tangri element and how the discussions between the Arduan, Ankaht, and the human artist affect things on Bellerophon and the overall outcome of the war.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Otterman on Mon 22 Feb 2010 15:31

I was (and am) displeased that the Vestrii weren't the race novelized for the race-fleeing-with-entire-population trope.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Otterman on Mon 22 Feb 2010 15:33

(Ponders) But then again, races that reach spaceflight seem to get into all sorts of trouble. Perhaps the universe has more refugees than was previously thought?
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Crucis on Mon 22 Feb 2010 15:53

Otterman wrote:I was (and am) displeased that the Vestrii weren't the race novelized for the race-fleeing-with-entire-population trope.

Otterman, while the EXODUS novel wasn't written until about 2006, the basic concept for it (as well as its new "bad guy" alien race, the Arduans) was created in the mid to late 1980's by Dave Weber and Steve White... well before the Vestrii were published in two TFG modules. It should also be remembered that the Vestrii are not a creation of Dave Weber, and really wasn't considered canon by him, IIRC, in the 90's.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Rhishisikk on Tue 27 Apr 2010 23:35

If the new aliens use hyperdrive instead of WP, is there any mention of how far in real space warp lanes extend? Just the thought that at upper tech levels there is an alternate method of traveling between star systems makes me giddy with anticipation.
Rhishisikk
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Crucis on Wed 28 Apr 2010 07:44

Rhishisikk wrote:If the new aliens use hyperdrive instead of WP, is there any mention of how far in real space warp lanes extend? Just the thought that at upper tech levels there is an alternate method of traveling between star systems makes me giddy with anticipation.

Rhishisikk, in EXODUS, the new aliens traveled thru deep space using slower-than-light photon drives and huge generational ships to enter the Rim Federation.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Dawn Falcon on Fri 30 Apr 2010 14:28

Crucis wrote:
Otterman wrote:I was (and am) displeased that the Vestrii weren't the race novelized for the race-fleeing-with-entire-population trope.

Otterman, while the EXODUS novel wasn't written until about 2006, the basic concept for it (as well as its new "bad guy" alien race, the Arduans) was created in the mid to late 1980's by Dave Weber and Steve White... well before the Vestrii were published in two TFG modules. It should also be remembered that the Vestrii are not a creation of Dave Weber, and really wasn't considered canon by him, IIRC, in the 90's.

See, I had no idea about that and I consider it fascinating :)
Dawn Falcon
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to Starfire Fiction