SAW II and added text to Insurrection

Starfire campaign histories, fan fiction, and talking about fiction.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Please post new fiction in a separate thread. The search engine can find all related fiction. Have fun! Just let us know who wins.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Any Starfire-related fiction and campaign-related materials are welcomed here. Player submissions in this forum are the property and responsibility of the author.

SAW II and added text to Insurrection

Postby coldsteel on Thu 08 Mar 2012 13:54

Well, I have finished the 'new' Insurrection that is included in SAW II. Basically, they added some fluff and updated some (but not all) references. It's available as a free download from http://baencd.thefifthimperium.com/17-S ... ShadowsCD/ currently. I liked some of the additions of references from Shiva Option and In Death Ground, but they did miss a few chances at references to things like then-brevet Commodore Avram's actions in Danzig (all they did originally is refer to her as 'some captain', not a former Sky Marshal, and that was not expanded on). Also, most of the added text/story was junk (added Lad Skorning's brother Stanislas as a TRMC lieutenant/captain/major, sticking him on Longbow after the Convention and romantically involve him with Tatiana Illushyin; they did add some cool ground combat on Cimmaron tho.) but I did like how they fleshed out some astrography with Li Han's BG when they found that liner with the children's bodies.
TFN: 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Re: SAW II and added text to Insurrection

Postby Cralis on Thu 08 Mar 2012 14:42

I thought that was just a re-compilation book?

So it actually added more material? How many pages worth?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby coldsteel on Fri 09 Mar 2012 21:43

Maybe 30-40 pages worth, think up to an entire chapter's worth of Stanislaus's stuff.
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Mon 12 Mar 2012 21:39

I'm re-reading it during lunch at work. So far I've gotten through four chapters and haven't seen much I don't remember... I'm still reading :)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby coldsteel on Wed 14 Mar 2012 10:23

Nothing really gets added till the Convention on Novaya Rodina.
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Wed 14 Mar 2012 13:40

I just read the ground combat on Cimmaron... that was very interesting. Always with the using of school buildings as forts. What's wrong with us humans?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Wed 14 Mar 2012 17:49

Cralis wrote:I just read the ground combat on Cimmaron... that was very interesting. Always with the using of school buildings as forts. What's wrong with us humans?

It's a time-honoured tradition. We've been doing it at least since Kursk (Ponyri is what immediately sprung to mind), but I'm sure there are examples that go back to antiquity.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sat 29 Sep 2012 06:47

The ground combat wasn't central to the story. That's why those chapters were not in the original printed version. The more important edit from a gamers perspective was the lack of reference to the Star Union in the original printed version. Given the existing maps from Shiva, the distance between the Rump and Rim didn't make sense. With the restored edits the distance adds up as Harnah has been ceded to the Star Union and thus blocked access to Zephrain via the Anderson Chain.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby coldsteel on Sat 29 Sep 2012 09:00

Which was mentioned in the Insurrection module, Alexei. Just not originally in the novel.
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Crucis on Sat 29 Sep 2012 11:37

AlexeiTimoshenko wrote:The ground combat wasn't central to the story. That's why those chapters were not in the original printed version. The more important edit from a gamers perspective was the lack of reference to the Star Union in the original printed version. Given the existing maps from Shiva, the distance between the Rump and Rim didn't make sense. With the restored edits the distance adds up as Harnah has been ceded to the Star Union and thus blocked access to Zephrain via the Anderson Chain.

Also, the Star Union didn't exist at the time that Dave and Steve wrote Insurrection. The Star Union didn't get created as a star nation to be added to the official history until the early 90's, though the general idea for the Crucians had existed since the mid-80's when they were one of my "player" races in a solo campaign.

It should also be considered that the warp line geography you describe also didn't exist when they wrote Insurrection. It only came into being when Dave wrote the ISW4 scenario book manuscript in the early to mid 90's.
Crucis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Next

Return to Starfire Fiction