The Glorious Kobold Empire rises again!

Starfire campaign histories, fan fiction, and talking about fiction.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Please post new fiction in a separate thread. The search engine can find all related fiction. Have fun! Just let us know who wins.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Any Starfire-related fiction and campaign-related materials are welcomed here. Player submissions in this forum are the property and responsibility of the author.

Re: The Glorious Kobold Empire rises again!

Postby SCC on Fri 30 Aug 2013 21:30

Wait, question: Why did you mount Datalink on ships that don't mount missile weapons? It only benefits things that can be intercepted by D
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby aethelred on Fri 30 Aug 2013 22:02

SCC wrote:Wait, question: Why did you mount Datalink on ships that don't mount missile weapons? It only benefits things that can be intercepted by D

This may be a second edition flashback, but the way Z allows you to overwhelm D is by allowing more than one ship to fire in salvo. In this case three CT would be able to fire at the same time. That meant in the preceding fight all three of the Kobold CT's could fire before the Dwarves could get off a single shot as long as the Kobolds had initiative. Think of how nasty that can be, nine Pg at close range before your opponent can return fire.

If I have something wrong here, and it would not be the first time :) , please let me know.
aethelred
Commander
Commander

Postby Vandervecken on Fri 30 Aug 2013 22:07

SCC wrote:Wait, question: Why did you mount Datalink on ships that don't mount missile weapons? It only benefits things that can be intercepted by D

Although it really shines with stacking multiple missile ships, It can certainly be useful with beam weapons (or Pg) as well.

Just ask 4 x 15 HS ships with beams and a Za that can attack a CL and really penetrate it before the CL can attack and possibly take one of the 15 HS ships before it fires. In WP defense that weapon or two destroyed can make a difference in keeping from being overrun. And the Kobolds have initiative bonuses which make Datalink even more useful when things are relatively even.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby aethelred on Fri 30 Aug 2013 23:12

One additional report for turn 30:
One dragon with a dwarf on its back was spotted retreating through the warp point to the Dwarf home system.
"Hyah mule! hyah hyah!"

Back at the lab, while adjusting the master oscillator on the model 9000 time clock started hearing something strange.
"Lu" (static)
"Lucy in the"(static)
"Lucy in the sky with diamonds" in a deep unsteady out of tune voice.
"Oh no! are you pondering what I am pondering Pinky?"
"I think so Brain, but why would you want to ware a tutu?" :?
"No! Somehow this thing has brought William Shatner back!"
"Actually, it was a really good deal from my travel agent", commented William
:o
aethelred
Commander
Commander

Postby SCC on Fri 30 Aug 2013 23:24

Does Datalink mean that the ships use a single dice roll or several? Because if it does it turns things into an all-or-nothing attack, otherwise it's useless unless you're using to do something like share Multitracking, but that would require more targets than ships to be useful
SCC
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby aethelred on Fri 30 Aug 2013 23:36

SCC wrote:Does Datalink mean that the ships use a single dice roll or several? Because if it does it turns things into an all-or-nothing attack, otherwise it's useless unless you're using to do something like share Multitracking, but that would require more targets than ships to be useful

Each weapon rolls to hit separately.
So, in the previous skirmish each of the nine Pga would have its own to hit roll.
aethelred
Commander
Commander

Postby Vandervecken on Sat 31 Aug 2013 06:18

Easy example of datalink in action at a WP (The Gong CTs know the Mothra CL is coming and all are at Batlestations) using:

Gong Empire with 4 x 15 HS CT ships (Fb x2)
versus
Mothra Empire with 1 x 45 HS CL(Lb x 7)

without Datalink it would be after movement if Gong win initiative -
1) Gong CT fires its 2 Fb - both hit and do 6 points of damage at range 1, that gets thru the CL shields and into its armor.
2) Mothra CL fires its 7 Lb and 5 of them hit at range 1 (10 damage) which leaves one unfired CT with only Shields left (a wreck)
3) remaining 2 CT fire in any order and hit 3 of 4 times doing 9 damage which gets into the CL and takes out a 2 x Lb, It is hurt and in trouble but has scrapped a Gong CT

with Datalink it would be after movement if Gong win initiative -
1) 4 x Datalinked CT fire at CL - only 6 of the 8 Fb hit at range of 1 which is 18 points of damage. 18 points of damage goes deep into the Mothra CL and only 3 Lb are left.
2) Mothra CL fires its 3 Lb at one of the Gong CT, all three hit doing 6 points of damage, which hurts the CT but it can still move 2 with 1 engine, has a Qa left, as well as Lb x1. - [2] S x x x x x x Lb Qa (Ia) [2] Originally looked like [2] S A Za (Ia) H Lb (Ia) Lb Qa (Ia) [6]

You can see the big difference having Za had in this battle, the CL will probably not live to fire in the second scenario if the Gong get initiative and probably can only hurt another CT or finish off the already hurt one if it does get initiative. But in the 1st scenario the Mothra CL could live till the 3rd turn (with a few 9's and 0's rolled by the Gong, It could possibly even win) and hurt another CT badly before it dies. Heck, it could still wreck a second CT on the second combat turn if all 5 Lb hit and the CL got initiative. So the Mothra rued the day the Gong got Za tech.

Oh yea, that Za also gave the ship 1 more HTK besides the datalink ability, at the expense of an increased Cost in Build and Maintenance.
Last edited by Vandervecken on Sat 31 Aug 2013 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sat 31 Aug 2013 20:04

We at ACME have a major announcement. We have just completed acquisition of a rival high tech weapons supplier. As of today ACME is the sole owner of the INATOR company. This means that ACME is now the largest weapons supplier in the Tri Empire Area.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby aethelred on Sun 01 Sep 2013 10:24

Turn 31:
Warp point assault by a Kobolds on the Dwarves. (hel3 on 2)
Ships entering under fire in ones and twos and in random directions and the dwarves have had five months to fortify.
While I'm not worried about taking casualties, I don't think it would be too difficult for the dwarves to destroy each ship or small boy squadron as they enter. (WP - D, 43HS base).
Think it will be better to set up defense, then find another way in while working on better tech. Then hit from two directions at once.
aethelred
Commander
Commander

Postby procyon on Sun 01 Sep 2013 15:42

Where datalink on SRW ships really shines is vs FQ and GB sqns.
Single SRW ships seldom have good BASV and end up taking a nasty minus to the damage they inflict. But datalink ships total up their BASV and can really hurt those sqns.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

PreviousNext

Return to Starfire Fiction