Alkelda Interlude

Starfire campaign histories, fan fiction, and talking about fiction.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Please post new fiction in a separate thread. The search engine can find all related fiction. Have fun! Just let us know who wins.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Any Starfire-related fiction and campaign-related materials are welcomed here. Player submissions in this forum are the property and responsibility of the author.

Alkelda Interlude

Postby Otterman on Tue 01 Dec 2009 13:30

Here are some scenario leads I wrote up for Communique Ten, way back in May of 1995...

When the Kess intruded on Vestrii space, there was no way to stop them. The standard Kess kinetic gun could fire from four times laser range; so far away, in fact, that Vestrii ships couldn’t even detect their attackers. There was nothing to do but recall every scout squadron that could race past the Kess, and begin researching both the kinetic gun and long range scanners.

Eighteen months later, the Kess roamed at will throughout almost two-thirds of Vestrii space; only time and distance had prevented a total command of all Vestrii territory. Half of the off-homeworld population were proselytized, including Urugur, a rich world with a population of almost a billion Vestrii. The only damage that the Kess had suffered in this time was a handful of PCFs during some of the heavier planetary combat. Most alarmingly, a substantial Kess battle group had moved within one transit of the remaining large Vestrii population, and a mere three transits of Vestra!

Finally, thankfully, an answer to the Kess had been constructed. A full seven scout squadrons had been refitted with kinetic guns and long range scanners, and datalink seemed possible within another month. Rather than wait for the new datalink, the Starguard committed the scouts. Three squadrons were committed to Vestra; the other four were sent to V8/15/Lr, also known as Theres. After a single day of patrol around Theres, Scout Force 2 was ordered to the red star V9/24, where a Kess survey was suspected.

The Starguard’s intelligence was accurate. Kess Battle Group 4 was already in the system, surveying for warp points. The Vestrii Packet Leader detached the auxiliary fleet carriers and one scout squadron and left them at the entry point. The other three squadrons would attack nearby targets of opportunity. The first such target was a detached picket squadron; finally, the Starguard could fire its first effective volleys

---

The first deployment of the Vestrii scouts was a success. A Kess picket squadron was destroyed at little cost, proving the efficacy of the cout units’ kinetic guns against lighter enemy units. The sudden apperance and engagement was a red flag to the Kess, indicating the location of a warp point with valuable real estate behind it. The Kess fleet commander deduced that a previous world, perhaps even Vestra, lay behind the warp point. An additional battle group was dispatched for action against this target of opportunity.

These strategic aspects were not lost on the Vestrii. Theres, a rich world with a population of several hundred million, lay on the other side of the warp point in question. Already boasting a substantial number of planetary defence forces, it was heavily reinforced by infantry and armor from Vestra herself. The Vestrii hoped to lure the Kess into a losing ground action on Theres, thereby removing their ground elements and preventing any further capture of Vestrii worlds.

After long debate, the overseers decided how to commit the scouts in defense of Theres. Several possibilities were discussed; the scouts could retreat for datalink refit; they could fight to the death; they could fight and retreat.

Obviously, refitting would do little good at this point, and damaged ships could be refitted under repair. An envelopment could conceivably end the war if a significant number of troop transports were caught and destroyed, but too many unknowns were involved. The overseers were unwilling to sacrifice the majority of the naval strength in a pointless suicide action. It was decided: the scouts would picket the warp points, destroy targets of opportunity, and retreat when the invaders grew too strong. The scouts were placed in a state of rotating general quarters. The squadrons would sit atop the warp point and attempt to engage intruders. The other four squadrons would sit 2 light minutes from the warp point at alert status with drives off and wait. Two weeks passed, and the Kess arrived.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Re: Alkelda Interlude

Postby Otterman on Tue 01 Dec 2009 15:37

In hindsight, it seems foolish to believe that the Kess wouldn't know the basic structure of Vestrii space. Specically, they would have known from their converts about where Theres and Vestra lay.

However, detailed astrographic information would not be available to the general populace, so the overall narrative can probably be preserved.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Tue 01 Dec 2009 18:09

Is this a fictional recreation of AK that your doing? Or is this an unofficial extension of the written AK history? (just curious)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Otterman on Wed 02 Dec 2009 13:27

I'm not sure how to answer your question - back in 1995, Mr. Olsen of TFG asked me to write some scenarios for Communique, the official Starfire newsletter.

So, this fiction achieved dead-tree status, but who can attest to its canonicity? Are there other extant historys of the Alkelda region besides what was written in AD and First Contact?
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Wed 02 Dec 2009 15:25

In short: Yes and no.

Every now and again we find someone else who worked with TFG and we never knew...seems like you are in that category. Alkeda Dawn and First Contact were never official weber histories and myself and Marvin have built up some of a background for using them in ULTRA's new official history - so the Vestrii, Kess, Hre'Daak, and J'Rill will be used in some (unannounced as yet) form for the ULTRA history.

However, AD/FC will be orphaned supplements and if you want to put out your ideas and put up fiction for them you are more than welcome. I was just curious where you were coming from :-) I look forward to seeing what you've done!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby coldsteel on Tue 23 Feb 2010 16:54

I've got a revamped scenario with the Tangri from Nexus, if you want, Cralis.
TFN: 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Tue 23 Feb 2010 19:47

coldsteel wrote:I've got a revamped scenario with the Tangri from Nexus, if you want, Cralis.

Absolutely! PM me
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby coldsteel on Wed 24 Feb 2010 16:02

PM en-route.

Also, I noticed a lot of the links for SF pages at the top of the forum are dead, as are 90% of the links Damon Bradley has on his site. Did anyone get all the stuff off the old FTP site? I'm wondering about the old 3rd Ed Known Universe map file.
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Wed 24 Feb 2010 16:40

coldsteel wrote:PM en-route.

Also, I noticed a lot of the links for SF pages at the top of the forum are dead, as are 90% of the links Damon Bradley has on his site. Did anyone get all the stuff off the old FTP site? I'm wondering about the old 3rd Ed Known Universe map file.

At the top of our forum or another one? If we have dead links I'd love to fix them. I just reviewed the links and Matt Wadwell's site is dead so I will probably remove that link. We've been trying to reach him for about six months to ask if we could move the fiction to our fiction forum and I think his job has completely taken over his life.

As for other sites, we don't control them so your best bet is to just email that person. As for the old FTP site, I was forwarded from Marvin what he was able to save - unfortunately it wasn't everything it used to have. I've been slowly (too slowly) going over the materials, packaging them into zips or modern formats, and making them available in the downloads section.

If you have any suggestions or requests please email or PM me and I'll see what I can do.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby coldsteel on Sun 07 Mar 2010 17:23

Also, I found out I'd uploaded the old Known Universe map onto the Yahoo group; if anyone wants a copy, shoot me a PM.
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Return to Starfire Fiction