Dawn of the Stars Campaign rules

Starfire campaign histories, fan fiction, and talking about fiction.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Please post new fiction in a separate thread. The search engine can find all related fiction. Have fun! Just let us know who wins.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Any Starfire-related fiction and campaign-related materials are welcomed here. Player submissions in this forum are the property and responsibility of the author.

Re: Dawn of the Stars Campaign rules

Postby Cralis on Mon 24 Jul 2017 01:13

Whitecold wrote:
Cralis wrote:Agreed. This is why I think it was a mistake to have LRW available right away at SL 6. If squadrons had to close to short or medium range then they would be in the envelope for more turns.

But LRW/SRW are not truly long range/short range anyway. They just have different damage profiles, vanilla smcft beams can be used at long range, and do plenty damage there as well, or are you proposing to get rid of the long range bracket at the start? Also, as far as I know, in classic there were longer ranged anti-smcft weapons.

Not get rid of the bracket, but we've already talked about limiting different weapons to different ranges. Not even brackets, but ranges. For example, squadron-based Pg should not out-range the ship-based Pg weapon system.

What I'm thinking is that if we delayed the introduction of LRW, and we have actual range limits for beams, ast weapons, fG, etc., then early squadrons would be less effective in those first few SLs where they are dominating right now. They would have to get closer, be subject to more effective anti-squadron fire and for at least one more tactical turn of return fire.

As far as every third round vs 1/3 damage goes, how do players feel about this? What is easier/more appealing to you?

You are doing weapons by individual fighter or gunboat, right? One thing I learned back in Classic Starfire is that fractional damage by squadrons of 4 or 6 units in a squadron isn't quite so bad. You combine all the damage from the fire from a single squadron. So if 6 units fire and do 1/3 damage each, you can do up to 2 points of damage.

This also has one other interesting side effect: if you drop fractions, then badly damaged squadrons lose the ability to damage large units. Although I'd recommend that fractions only be dropped against S and A, and have all fractions of 1/2 or larger actually cause damage to internal systems.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby GunBunny on Mon 24 Jul 2017 13:01

Curious about the Colonization facility:

(COL): 800 60 Colonization facility: Can support emplacement of PTU equal to 10+25% PU present on destination planet.

Is it orbital?
Destination (distance) limitation?
10+25% PU present on the destination colony or from the originating?
Is this intended to be limit on the amount of colonization done per turn unless we build another facility? I assume all other colonization limitations (CFN) apply still.
GunBunny
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Whitecold on Tue 25 Jul 2017 13:33

GunBunny wrote:Is it orbital?
Destination (distance) limitation?
10+25% PU present on the destination colony or from the originating?
Is this intended to be limit on the amount of colonization done per turn unless we build another facility? I assume all other colonization limitations (CFN) apply still.

No requirement for it to be orbital. The target colony determines the amount. It is intended to prevent from colonizing planets up to the limit in one go. CFN is still required, and you need to pay as well.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Sunwolf on Mon 31 Jul 2017 12:02

Questions about smcft construction rules:

Does the engine take up 1 space (2 for Ic) or is it just designated as to what engine it has?

Does Qa need installed or is the endurance/life support part of the base hull
Sunwolf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Sunwolf on Mon 31 Jul 2017 12:05

Additional question
Do I have to use all available spaces
Sunwolf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Sunwolf on Mon 31 Jul 2017 12:11

More smcft questions

Can more than one sXp be put on a smcft and is there any advantage to doing so

How is smcft maintenance calculated
Sunwolf
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Whitecold on Tue 01 Aug 2017 10:12

Sunwolf wrote:More smcft questions

Can more than one sXp be put on a smcft and is there any advantage to doing so

How is smcft maintenance calculated

I'll have to think over special cases, I'll get you an answer soon.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Whitecold on Thu 03 Aug 2017 17:13

Does the engine take up 1 space (2 for Ic) or is it just designated as to what engine it has?

The engine is part of the hull, the designation just modifies the MP

Does Qa need installed or is the endurance/life support part of the base hull?
Life support is integrated. (Every craft would need a single unit, so may as well make it part of the hull)

Do I have to use all available spaces?
Yes, up to rounding errors. (XO racks may make it impossible to fill up all space)

Armed smcft and those with X cost 7.5% maintenance
Unarmed smcft have 0% maintenance
Crated craft are free
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Whitecold on Wed 09 Aug 2017 11:43

So, I tried to make the smallcraft rules a bit more understandable. Unfortunately tabs don't seem to be recognized by the forum, which screws up the tables. If anyone knows how to make a proper table, please tell me.

Additionally, here are three smcft designs as examples for anyone wondering what it they can look like

sta (Ic) 2DP 2bbp
[1] sHsHsHsH [4/4]
Cost: 9MCr
Endurance: 48h

sta (I) 2DP 2bbp
[1] sHsHsHsXp [6/3]
Cost: 10MCr
Endurance: 12h

gig (Ic) 1DP 1bbp
[1] sHsH [2/2]
Cost: 4MCr
Endurance: 48h
Last edited by Whitecold on Sun 03 Sep 2017 04:54, edited 1 time in total.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Moonsword on Wed 09 Aug 2017 12:49

Try the code tag to preserve something like that.
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

PreviousNext

Return to Starfire Fiction