Star Wars to Starfire Conversions

Starfire campaign histories, fan fiction, and talking about fiction.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Please post new fiction in a separate thread. The search engine can find all related fiction. Have fun! Just let us know who wins.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Any Starfire-related fiction and campaign-related materials are welcomed here. Player submissions in this forum are the property and responsibility of the author.

Star Wars to Starfire Conversions

Postby Morpheus on Wed 27 Sep 2017 11:15

Has anyone done any Star Wars to Starfire conversions? I know that there are plenty of Star Wars games out there, but I really like the Starfire mechanics and the ship design methodology. Also, my son is really into Star Wars and I thought it would be fun to build some Star Wars ships and fight out some battles.

My biggest question is how has anyone handled the sheer number of weapons that are typical on Star Wars starships. If you take a Star Destroyer with 60 turbolasers, that and engines alone are easily enough to fill out a SD or even a MT. We will probably start with smaller ships like Corellian Corvettes or Frigates, but I was wondering if anyone else had done a conversion and any scaling factors or other methods useful for the conversion.
Morpheus
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Re: Star Wars to Starfire Conversions

Postby Cralis on Wed 27 Sep 2017 12:17

Morpheus wrote:Has anyone done any Star Wars to Starfire conversions? I know that there are plenty of Star Wars games out there, but I really like the Starfire mechanics and the ship design methodology. Also, my son is really into Star Wars and I thought it would be fun to build some Star Wars ships and fight out some battles.

Back in the '90s I know there was someone working on a Star Wars campaign and another person working on a Babylon 5 campaign. I have no idea whatever happened to them...

My biggest question is how has anyone handled the sheer number of weapons that are typical on Star Wars starships.

Keep in mind that Star Wars ships are massive by comparison even to Starfire standards. An Imperial Star Destroyer would probably be the size of an MT or something. In some ways Star Wars is highly advanced tech (construction) and in most everything else it is barely more than a few SLs (almost everything else). Because of the fighters, I'd probably start a Star Wars-based game at around EL 8.

If you take a Star Destroyer with 60 turbolasers, that and engines alone are easily enough to fill out a SD or even a MT.

Keep in mind, however, that a single "energy weapon" is actually more than one "barrel" ... so 60 "turbo lasers" could easily be only 10 or 20 L in Starfire. The only weapons that are considered "single barrel" are those that track munitions fired (like G, R, and Pt).

We will probably start with smaller ships like Corellian Corvettes or Frigates, but I was wondering if anyone else had done a conversion and any scaling factors or other methods useful for the conversion.

Not anymore... but a real conversion where you change the techs, adjust values, etc. (aka a "full conversion") would probably have lotd of followers. Especially if you ever did a campaign conversion ;)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Morpheus on Wed 27 Sep 2017 12:30

Thanks for the feedback, and the encouragement. I've got plenty of Star Wars source material to work from, so I'll try my hand at doing some simple conversions first.
Morpheus
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Cralis on Wed 27 Sep 2017 12:57

Sounds good. I had the thought of a "Jedi" graded leader :) You could have abilities not possible like the ability to sense the enemy in a system or communicate to other Jedi over interstellar distances. So many possibilities!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Whitecold on Thu 28 Sep 2017 15:06

How do you plan on mapping weapon types?
Starfire capital ships usually revolve around heavy LRW batteries, but missile weapons are kinda absent in Star Wars as capital ship weaponry. Most large ships mount turbolasers (forcebeams) and ion cannons (lasers?)
Also, star wars ships utterly fail at point defense, but that is another story...
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 28 Sep 2017 15:32

Whitecold wrote:How do you plan on mapping weapon types?
Starfire capital ships usually revolve around heavy LRW batteries, but missile weapons are kinda absent in Star Wars as capital ship weaponry.

I don't know how much of the books or games you've played, but there are a lot of concussion missiles and proton torpedoes on most units. In a huge chunk of the books the Millenium Falcon mounted a concussion missile launcher. Concussion missiles seemed to be ineffective against large units and less effective against shielded units, while proton torpedoes are probably most like Starfire's regular missile.

The big thing is that units move SLOW in Star Wars. Including missiles. At mach speeds. So lasers and other light-speed weaponry severely outrange them. If I'm remembering correctly, most Star Wars battles would occur within the space of a couple tH at most. Even the long-range rebellion fighter strike against the Death Star occurred within the orbits of the moons around a gas giant, so 10 tH at best?

If it was me I'd really reduce the size of tH. Huperdrive (oh yeah! you need that) will get you from location to location, even inside a star system.

Most large ships mount turbolasers (forcebeams) and ion cannons (lasers?)
Also, star wars ships utterly fail at point defense, but that is another story...

I'd actually use L for turbolasers and E for ion canons. If you reduce tH size and increase beams by the same multiplier, then leave missiles to actual tH range you'll probably get a close proximity.

So if 1tH becomes 4 tH, La range would be 28 and if you left R as 16 or 18 or whatever it is, that would work.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Starfire Fiction