Quick question re: posting fiction

Starfire campaign histories, fan fiction, and talking about fiction.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
Please post new fiction in a separate thread. The search engine can find all related fiction. Have fun! Just let us know who wins.

1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Any Starfire-related fiction and campaign-related materials are welcomed here. Player submissions in this forum are the property and responsibility of the author.

Quick question re: posting fiction

Postby MWadwell on Sat 04 Sep 2010 23:40

G'Day All,

Got a quick question for you all.

Cralis has asked me if I could transfer over (i.e re-post) some of the old fiction that was previously kept on my fiction website (which has since been taken down).

Some of the fiction (specifically Kurt Blackwelder and Steve Walmsley campaigns) are huge, which presents an interesting question:
What would people prefer, for the fiction to be posted as one BIG file (probably 1-2 MB zipped), or as ~50 K "snippets" every day (or so)?

My personal preference would be to release the ~50 K snippets, and then release the complete file after snippeting has been finished - but I wanted to hear what everyone else thought.

So please, drop a quick line with what you'd prefer....

Later,
Matt
MWadwell
Midshipman 2nd Class
Midshipman 2nd Class

Re: Quick question re: posting fiction

Postby Club on Sun 05 Sep 2010 01:32

the smaller bites.
TAG: As I understand it, he sought to avoid turning one-point-six trillion Terran sophonts into undead, war-mongering super-soldiers.
Captain Tagon: It it wrong for me to think that would be pretty cool to watch?

http://www.schlockmercenary.com
Club
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sun 05 Sep 2010 01:36

I don't know if it helps your decision making, but planned future changes in the website are going to include a downloads-like section for story files. You (and me, for the TSU stories, for example) can post the snippets of stories and when we add the new section you can post the stories as a single zip file per campaign. It won't happen for at least six months so there is time to post lots of snippets.

At least, that is what I plan on doing :)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby M_Wadwell on Mon 06 Sep 2010 08:58

Cralis wrote:I don't know if it helps your decision making, but planned future changes in the website are going to include a downloads-like section for story files. You (and me, for the TSU stories, for example) can post the snippets of stories and when we add the new section you can post the stories as a single zip file per campaign. It won't happen for at least six months so there is time to post lots of snippets.

At least, that is what I plan on doing :)

To be honest, that is what I would like to do as well - post the snippets, and then at the end post a single file.

But of course, that depends on what people would prefer, snippets or a single file (hint hint - your preferences/opinions would be appreciated).

Later,
Matt
M_Wadwell
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 06 Sep 2010 10:18

M_Wadwell wrote:
Cralis wrote:...You (and me, for the TSU stories, for example) can post the snippets of stories...that is what I plan on doing :)

But of course, that depends on what people would prefer, snippets or a single file (hint hint - your preferences/opinions would be appreciated).

Already snuck it in there on ya :-)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Tamjiri on Mon 06 Sep 2010 20:17

I would prefer the snippet format, thanks.
Tamjiri
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Mon 06 Sep 2010 22:23

I think the snippets would be better. In fact I'm in the process of writing a novella based largely upon the timeline of events originaaly printed way back in Nexus 6. Basically it's going to be a story covering the discovery of warp points be FGE and the subsequent birth of the Terran Federation. I'm trying to stay as faithful to canon as possible including basing my ship designs on 3rd ed. The major difference will be to reflect the actual history of the last 25 years, ie. no Tycho or Copernicus bases on the moon and references to the Soviet Union being replaced by the Russian Federation. The novella is wriiten from the standpoint of Howard Anderson as he's making a log entry just prior to 2nd VX-134. Basically captain Anderson is trying to rationalize the fact that humanity is at war with an alien (Orion) species after having been essentially at peace for almost 160 years.

A large portion of this story is going to take place on Nova Terra, including Hermes first visit, the return survey mission after FGE Space Command realized that Hermes and Galicia had indeed visited the Centauris system and the founding of the Nova Terra colony. After that I'm going to cover the birth and expansion of the Terran Federation including the discovery of sentient alien life and end with TFN Discovery's first encounter with the Orions including the destruction of KON Alkzar.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Return to Starfire Fiction