Sequence of Play issue

Discussion and play results of the Admiral's Challenge mini-campaign.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Sequence of Play issue

Postby JoeBuckeye on Thu 30 Dec 2010 20:56

So I'm looking at the Admiral's Challenge Sequence of Play(SoP) and noticed a discrepancy between it and the rules (I think).

The SoP has this:

Phase 1 - Calculate New Income
Phase 7 - Colonization
Phase 8 - Survey

But the Colonization rules [4.01] state that colonization occurs at the end of the turn the survey (system or planet) is done.

Based on the Colonization rules Phase 7 should probably be Survey and Phase 8 should be Colonization.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Re: Sequence of Play issue

Postby Cralis on Fri 31 Dec 2010 01:27

I don't have those rules in front of me right now, can you double-check and make sure there aren't any rules relating to the sequence in the survey rules?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby JoeBuckeye on Fri 31 Dec 2010 06:19

The surveying rules (10.01 Surveying a System and 10.02 Surveying Planets) only state that colonization (4.01) can only occur after the survey has been done and that a planet survey can't be done until the System has been surveyed.

The Colonization rules are the only place that state the timing issue:
The process of colonization is automatic, and occurs during the turn that the surveying of the star system is completed (at the end of the turn [2.00]), during Phase 9 of the turn sequence.

I should mention that the 2.00 Sequence of Play has Phase 9 has the Record Keeping Phase and not Colonization (which is Phase 7).

Based on the text of the Rules it sure sounds like the intention is to have the Survey phase take place before the Colonization phase and that there is just a goof up on the SoP. Maybe an artifact from making the GSF version of AC from the original?
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby JoeBuckeye on Fri 31 Dec 2010 06:24

This basically affects when you start getting income from a system.

SoP sequence (Survey before Colonization)
Turn 1 - Arrive in system during movement phase
Turn 2 - Survey system during survey phase
Turn 3 - Colonize system during colonization phase
Turn 4 - Get income from system

Colonization rules sequence (Colonization before Survey)
Turn 1 - Arrive in system during movement phase
Turn 2 - Survey system during survey phase
Turn 2 - Colonize system during colonization phase
Turn 3 - Get income from system
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby JoeBuckeye on Fri 31 Dec 2010 06:36

Interesting, I went back and looked at the non-GSF version of AC and the SoP is slightly different.

The non-GSF AC SoP (whew, lots of TLA's there :lol: ) has one phase the GSF version does not.

Phase 6. Change of Status [9.01.3]

And the Survey phase is phase 8, followed by the Colonization phase (phase 9 now).

So it does appear the intention is as the Colonization rules state and maybe the GSF AC version of the SoP is 'off'.

Not sure why the Change of Status phase is not in the GSF version.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby krenshala on Fri 31 Dec 2010 13:54

Is it intended to allow colonization on the same turn as the survey? If there is supposed to be a one turn delay then you want colonization before survey (so you colonize what you surveyed last turn).
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Fri 31 Dec 2010 16:30

Ya'll taking advantage of me being sick and responding less often :)

I seem to recall that the intention was to prevent colonization immediately after surveying. The SOP does exactly that.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby JoeBuckeye on Fri 31 Dec 2010 16:33

Is it intended to allow colonization on the same turn as the survey?

That is the $64,000 question.

In pre-GSF Admiral's Challenge that is definitely true. For GSF it's not as clear cut.

It seems pretty obvious that when the GSF version of AC was created they took the pre-GSF version and made a couple some changes for GSF.

The GSF SoP has survey before colonization but the pre-GSF is the other way around.

Now this is just for the automatic system colonization that gets you 100 MC/turn income from the system. Planetary colonization requires a planet survey and then the payment of a fee to colonize the planet. So that would stretch things out a couple more turns.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby JoeBuckeye on Fri 31 Dec 2010 16:35

Cralis wrote:Ya'll taking advantage of me being sick and responding less often :)

I seem to recall that the intention was to prevent colonization immediately after surveying. The SOP does exactly that.

Sorry about that. :)

I can live with the GSF SoP. Like I said that's the way I was planing to play and then when I actually read the Colonization rules I saw the 'later that turn' verbiage and got confused.

WooHoo! I'm no longer a shuttlecraft pilot. :D
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Fri 31 Dec 2010 18:16

JoeBuckeye wrote:
Cralis wrote:Ya'll taking advantage of me being sick and responding less often :)

Sorry about that. :)

I can see your all broken up about it :lol:

I can live with the GSF SoP. Like I said that's the way I was planing to play and then when I actually read the Colonization rules I saw the 'later that turn' verbiage and got confused.

If you think it should be worded better by all means we'll place a bug report. But I don't know how long it will be before we get enough of them to do a revision and release.

WooHoo! I'm no longer a shuttlecraft pilot. :D

Heh, good times. We have far too many shuttles and too few battle-line warships to attack another message board. But the better news is that as we make more progress we are getting more and more new players, and re-invigorated interest by old players. Someday this board will be teeming with too many messages for me to respond to all of them, and I eagerly await that day. Guess Krenshala is going to have to take up the slack when that happens... 8-)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Next

Return to Admiral's Challenge