Opening Tech Trees in Admiral's Challenge

Discussion and play results of the Admiral's Challenge mini-campaign.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Opening Tech Trees in Admiral's Challenge

Postby JoeBuckeye on Sun 02 Jan 2011 14:00

In ULTRA you need a breakthrough to open Tech Trees but the GSF AC rules don't list that as an option for breakthroughs.

I would have to assume that breakthroughs can also open Tech Trees in AC. The question I get to then is "Do the breakthroughs open the Tech Tree automatically (regardless of SL vs EL levels?) or is there a chance the breakthrough does not open the Tech Tree?" This would be similar to the table in N11.04.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Re: Opening Tech Trees in Admiral's Challenge

Postby Cralis on Sun 02 Jan 2011 16:31

JoeBuckeye wrote:In ULTRA you need a breakthrough to open Tech Trees but the GSF AC rules don't list that as an option for breakthroughs.

I would have to assume that breakthroughs can also open Tech Trees in AC. The question I get to then is "Do the breakthroughs open the Tech Tree automatically (regardless of SL vs EL levels?) or is there a chance the breakthrough does not open the Tech Tree?" This would be similar to the table in N11.04.

In GSF, App AA.1.06 says that every tree/branch requires a breakthrough to open. It opens at the lowest SL of the tree/branch. If there is a knot listed, then the SL requires a knot before you actually get the SL.

GSF version of AC typically defaults to the GSF rules where the AC rules don't cover. (Like tactical combat)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby JoeBuckeye on Mon 03 Jan 2011 11:14

Ok, so in AC there are no focused breakthroughs and they will all be considered random breakthroughs.

The list of what you can use a breakthrough for in AC is given in 7.04.

This list is:
- towards an SL knot
- towards a branch knot
- to add 25 RP to any tech project
- to add qo RP to any EL project

The last item makes no sense as there are no EL projects in AC as the EL advancement is turn based and not RP based.

I would guess that we would need to add '- open a new Tech Tree' to the list of things that can be done with a breakthrough.

And there should also be an addition to add that one needs to use the Table in ULTRA 11.04 to see how successful the application of the breakthrough was to opening knot on the Tree, Branch or SL knot.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby Starfire on Thu 06 Jan 2011 11:50

I'm going to try to work through the rules for an update to match Ultra better.

If anyone has played Admiral's Challenge more than a few times, I would like to hear how things went and where you felt rules needed modification.
Nerf rock, paper is fine. signed:Scissors.
Starfire
Marvin Lamb
Marvin Lamb

Postby JoeBuckeye on Thu 06 Jan 2011 15:48

Please see my other posts on AC so far (regarding survey/colonization sequencing and critical/hazardous research items).

I'm only into turn 5 of my first AC game but I will gladly bring up issues I run into.
Joe
JoeBuckeye
Commander
Commander

Postby Starfire on Sat 08 Jan 2011 09:43

Great, that will undoubtedly help a lot.
Nerf rock, paper is fine. signed:Scissors.
Starfire
Marvin Lamb
Marvin Lamb

Return to Admiral's Challenge