Forum Down 10 Dec to 12 Dec

News and Announcements

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum Down 10 Dec to 12 Dec

Postby Cralis on Tue 13 Dec 2011 01:58

Hey everyone, just a quick update. I posted a news article to the main page (http://www.starfiredesign.com/starfire) when the forum went down. As a future reference, if you ever find the forum down check there for news. I know most of us don't read it on a regular basis, as most of the real news is on the forum :)

Anyway, it appears that over 1000 spam bots tried to sign up for accounts in a couple hour period and they corrupted the database. Apparently MySQL can sometimes lose a row or two during intense activity and this causes the problems I was having. Because of the strange errors and as a safety precaution, I put an htaccess restriction on the forum until I could resolve the issue.

It should be working now. If anyone has any trouble, please either email or PM me and let me know.

PS. As I mentioned on the main news page, this has forced the issue and by the end of the month I'm going to make some serious upgrades to the forum. I'll let everyone know before it happens, but be expecting it. The forum will likely be down for a couple days, or maybe I'll build a new one and migrate to that forum. Either way, we'll lose a few days.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: Forum Down 10 Dec to 12 Dec

Postby Cralis on Wed 14 Dec 2011 00:58

Tonight we had the same 134 error and a repair of the database tables dropped a ton of rows from the sessions table. I suspect that there is something nefarious going on and I've disabled registrations for the time being. If you know anyone who is attempting to register please let me know and I'll insert a new account for them.

Needless to say, these issues have accelerated recent plotting and planning on upgrading the site. You'll hear more about it soon.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to Announcements