Starfire Miniatures!

News and Announcements

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Starfire Miniatures!

Postby Cralis on Fri 05 Dec 2014 02:16

We have finally released the first sets of our Starfire Miniatures! Now available through Shapeways at the SDS store at http://www.shapeways.com/shops/starfire. Right now all of the models are those created by our own Otterman, Todd Dillen!

And what would miniatures be without rules? We have also made a Quick Start Rules set for miniatures, called the Quick Start Miniature Rules! You can download them from our downloads page at http://www.starfiredesign.com/starfire/ ... .php?id=80

We will be starting with Todd's Rigellian ship designs: Destroyer, ISW-3 Refit Destroyer, Light Cruiser, Cruiser, Command Cruiser, and Light Carrier! Plus, we have created a Rigellian QSR package that contains 2 cruisers and 4 destroyers so you can buy everything you need to play the QSR Miniature rules in one purchase! As a bonus, Todd Dillen created a model version of the turnkey for us and we are also making that available.

We are tweaking the descriptions and have only the initial materials available, we are going to be adding new miniatures and/or allowing for new materials every few weeks. We also should have our own miniatures showing up any day and we'll post pictures when they arrive, but we've already got a report from Shapeways that said everything printed "100%"

More information to come.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: Starfire Miniatures!

Postby Cralis on Sat 06 Dec 2014 15:35

I'm looking into "flight bases" for the miniatures I'm getting myself... anyone know much about them?

So far I've only found two seemingly good ones:

www.corseceng.com/omni-stand/

These guys have their flight stands made so that you can put an actual mounting piece into your miniature and then screw it onto the flight stand post. And they have magnetic and other variants.

www.litko.net

The second has an interesting "build your own base" deal where you can actually have the bases custom designed. Hmm...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Otterman on Mon 08 Dec 2014 09:13

Additional search terms:

"clear hex miniature bases"

and

"slotted hex miniature bases"

should yield a variety of eBay auctions and other such miniature shops that carry compatible stands for our miniatures.
Otterman
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby nukesnipe on Mon 08 Dec 2014 13:38

I've used the Ninja Magic magnetic adapters with my Attack Vector: Tactical! miniatures.

http://www.ninjamagic.com/cgi-bin/gt/tpl.h,content=19&

The neat thing aobut the Ninja Magic adapters is that you don't need a flight stand for each miniature; so long as each miniature has an adapter you can swap the actual flight stand between miniatures.

Another option I'm going to use with my 1/600 scale WW1 aircraft is 1/16" magnets glued to the bottom of the aircraft and the flight stand pin. Litko sells a bunch of different flight stands.

http://www.litko.net/categories/Flight-Stands/
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 08 Dec 2014 14:43

nukesnipe wrote:I've used the Ninja Magic magnetic adapters with my Attack Vector: Tactical! miniatures.

http://www.ninjamagic.com/cgi-bin/gt/tpl.h,content=19&

The neat thing aobut the Ninja Magic adapters is that you don't need a flight stand for each miniature; so long as each miniature has an adapter you can swap the actual flight stand between miniatures.

The CorSec Engineering's Omni-Stand is like that. You can either get the "screw-in" posts and adapters for they have magnetic ones as well. They have a neat magnetic one that is a ball-top for the post so you can angle aircraft miniatures to look like they are banking, climbing, or diving and change it during gameplay without needing a different adapter (you just rotate it around the ball magnetic).

But those are some interesting hex based they have in those pictures. I don't see them on the site... do you know if they make those or where they got them?

Another option I'm going to use with my 1/600 scale WW1 aircraft is 1/16" magnets glued to the bottom of the aircraft and the flight stand pin. Litko sells a bunch of different flight stands.

http://www.litko.net/categories/Flight-Stands/

Yeah Litko had some interesting stuff. I thought it was cool you could order custom-made bases through them.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Mon 08 Dec 2014 15:50

I'm afraid I don't know where the flight stands came from.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby nukesnipe on Tue 09 Dec 2014 13:39

So, I've been staring at the Shapeways page. And staring. And staring. And realizing I'm in trouble.

I've been debating starship miniature lines to jump into to support a couple of different of different rules sets I have. Now, you guys are making miniatures and rules for miniatures....

So, what comes next? TFN, KON? And any idea when? Trying to figure out how to do this and minimize shipping costs.

I'm in so much trouble...
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Tue 09 Dec 2014 14:23

nukesnipe wrote:So, what comes next? TFN, KON? And any idea when? Trying to figure out how to do this and minimize shipping costs.

Right now I have at least one more Rigellian design going up later this week, a refit version of the CV. And then we'll also be releasing "datagroup packs" of the more common designs (and will be doing so for future ships as well). Look for those sometime in the next couple days.

After that, over the rest of the month I think we are going to have 4 or so KON designs going live. A couple smaller ships and a couple larger ships than what we have now.

In Late December - Early January we'll be releasing a handful of TFN ships (and a TFN QSR package!). But the TFN ships are a much more detailed design so they have to be done with the more expensive plastic, which means they'll cost more.

After that I'm not sure which order Todd wants to do the rest of his miniatures. But he has more TFN designs, Theban designs, Vestrii and Kess designs, and more. Once we get through all the stuff he has already built, I'm not exactly sure where he wants to go with new designs. But I suspect that will be mid-spring or so until we encounter that bridge.

I'm in so much trouble...

Me too... feed my kids? Buy our miniatures? HMMM.....

Tonight I'm also going to be posting pictures of the test runs of the miniatures we have, and comparing the miniatures against a quarter so you can get a good idea of size. A few of them come out better in certain kinds of plastic than others. You might consider waiting until I get those pictures posted here so you can see what they look like.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Tue 09 Dec 2014 15:43

Thanks for the update.

As I mentioned, I've been shopping for starship miniatures to support a few games I have, but the only ones I've seen that have struck my fancy are from the UK, and frankly based on the photos I've seen I'm not too keen on their quality.

The "original" Starfire designs (not the Galactic and later) have always been my favorite, even over the Star Trek designs I grew up with. I acutally had a bunch of the metal minis from back in the '80s, but they were stolen in a household goods move back in my military days. The possibility of a current and supported Starfire miniatures range that covers most (all?) of the races is very intriguing. The fact I could use them for all of my spaceship gaming needs is icing on the cake.

If I could beg a request, when you post your photos any hints/suggestions on how to paint the Shapeways products would be appreciated. I've only have experience painting metal miniatures.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Wed 10 Dec 2014 01:16

nukesnipe wrote:Thanks for the update.

As I mentioned, I've been shopping for starship miniatures to support a few games I have, but the only ones I've seen that have struck my fancy are from the UK, and frankly based on the photos I've seen I'm not too keen on their quality.

To be perfectly honest, the Shapeways cheap plastics are not the best quality either. But that's why they are "cheap". I'll probably be buying my personal miniature collection in Detailed Plastic, although I'm looking into a few of the other options and whether they are good enough to offer.

The "original" Starfire designs (not the Galactic and later) have always been my favorite, even over the Star Trek designs I grew up with. I acutally had a bunch of the metal minis from back in the '80s, but they were stolen in a household goods move back in my military days. The possibility of a current and supported Starfire miniatures range that covers most (all?) of the races is very intriguing. The fact I could use them for all of my spaceship gaming needs is icing on the cake.

It's going to take some time. So far the models that have been done are the best looking ones, and I think it's going to be some time before a huge selection of models will become available. I suspect people will use these to enhance their existing collections... but for most of the Starfire games I play with other people, or do demonstrations, these are perfect. Especially since we are taking pains to try and offer QSR packs at a reduced price compared to individual purchasing.

If I could beg a request, when you post your photos any hints/suggestions on how to paint the Shapeways products would be appreciated. I've only have experience painting metal miniatures.

Oh my... I'm not a model painter. I'm going to try with the miniatures I'm buying, but hopefully Otterman or someone else can help you. I'm in the "what's paint?" category of model painting.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Next

Return to Announcements