Art!

Fiction by Sylvester Wrzesinski

Moderator: Xveers

Re: Art!

Postby Cralis on Sat 03 Mar 2018 12:16

Whitecold wrote:The Alcubierre drive skirts the problem by being just solutions to the Einstein equations, which have 4-momentum conservation built in. Of course, it has still a whole lot of problems with other physical conditions, but I don't see how the drive field respects 4-momentum conservation.

When the Drive-Field was originally conceived, physics was not nearly as mature as it is today. In Solar Starfire we have adopted the nature of the Alcubieere drive in that the Drive-Field creates a bubble of space that moves around. That avoids the sticky issues of momentum since the ship isn't actually moving inside of the sphere of space that it is inside. A whole lot of other assumptions spin off of this presumption (pseudo-science), such as what can cross the drive-field barrier, how it crosses the barrier, what happens during collisions of drive-fields or drive-field into unprotected matter, the paragravity limit, etc.

Not everyone uses this definition and they don't have to. It's science fiction. But the Alcubierre metrics show that it's at least possible. It's something we can't actually do right now, and it likely requires a bunch of knowledge and engineering we don't have (exotic matter, at the very least), but that's why "HEL 1" is a CTJ (Critical Tech Jump...Solar Starfire N15) and the drive-field is the quintessential development that makes it possible to achieve the CTJ.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby southwestforests on Sat 03 Mar 2018 23:42

Cralis wrote:
Whitecold wrote:... in that the Drive-Field creates a bubble of space that moves around. That avoids the sticky issues of momentum since the ship isn't actually moving inside of the sphere of space that it is inside... what happens during collisions of drive-fields or drive-field into unprotected matter,...
The sci-fi story I occasionally play at writing every other decade isn't Starfire just as it isn't Trek but it is influenced some by Starfire and those points about the drive field are employed. The ships can roll, pitch, pivot, within the bubble. When those bubbles collide sparks fly and bad things happen; usually at least one bubble collapses.
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Postby Xveers on Sun 04 Mar 2018 18:46

Whitecold wrote:Given that Starfire drive fields violate momentum conservation (and thus energy conservation) I am pretty sure you could build a powerplant out of it.

The trick though is using the PSB behind the drive to create a smaller pocket where you have this violation, and then somehow extracting energy out of said pocket. Kinda seems like putting a big fan on a boat in order to fill your sails. I mean, you CAN do it, but why not just use it as a propeller instead? :D
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Mon 05 Mar 2018 13:08

Since he said powerplant, I would think this would be more like putting a windmill where it will catch the deflected wind from the sails to produce power for your ship.

Which doesn't really work... I'd put a windmill at the top of the mast, but it WILL affect your maximum speed through drag.

Of course, sailing ships are a totally different medium. You can just do this: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windmill_ship

And fancy modern folk do this https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rotor_ship
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby southwestforests on Mon 05 Mar 2018 17:48

Cralis wrote:I'd put a windmill at the top of the mast,...
That beings to mind a thing though it is a rather different situation from a ship, In 1970s there was a railroad company which put windmill electric generators on top of cabooses ...
http://www.railpictures.net/photo/260136/
Screw the rivets, I build models for atmosphere, not detail
southwestforests
Commander
Commander

Location: Boonville, Missouri - a little antebellum burg on the Missouri River

Previous

Return to deWulf Universe