Revisiting the Facebook Idea

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

If we did a simple Facebook game, which idea has the most appeal?

Poll ended at Sat 14 Nov 2009 11:51

Choice 1: Mission-based Mafia-Wars style game idea
44%
Choice 2: Trade Wars-based game idea
No votes
Choice 3: Simple strategy game
56%

Total votes : 9

Revisiting the Facebook Idea

Postby Cralis on Fri 30 Oct 2009 11:51

I am revisiting the Facebook idea, and I have one question: what kind of game do you think would be more interesting?

I have narrowed it to three basic choices:

Choice #1: A simple mission-based game like Mafia-Wars where you gain rank, build a fleet out of friends, and attack other people from the other races. This would be heavily based on story (probably start as classic starfire then do ultra starfire as the story unfolds there), but it would be the least like the Starfire game.

Choice #2: A TradeWars-like version where you actually move around and attack each other. It would have completely different mechanics then the Starfire game because it would be at a personal level. This is the middle option, being less story-based then #1 and less like the Starfire game then #3.

Choice #3: A very simple strategy game where you buy ships, conquer planets, etc. The idea would be a super-simple strategy game to attract strategy gamers. The downside would be that it won't be as simple as the other two, and we won't attract as many "other" kinds of gamers to try it.

Cast your vote! I'm curious what everyone thinks. After voting please leave a note saying why you prefer that style. Thanks!

PS. I have allowed re-voting so you can change your mind. I'm also running the vote for 15 days, so if you know someone who lurks twice a month please let them know about the vote so they can tell us what they think!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: Revisiting the Facebook Idea

Postby PracticalM on Fri 30 Oct 2009 19:47

I guess I see what happens when I have a busy week at work. I actually started writing a design document for #3. I'll see if I can finish it up this weekend or not.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby BillW on Fri 30 Oct 2009 21:17

I think a Facebook game is a great way to get a lot of publicity for Starfire.

I voted for a Mafia Wars style game because that style if very popular and will help to gather some fans quickly. After that has built up a fan base I recommend creating a second game that matches choice #3. There should be a better chance of luring people in to play a strategy game if there is already a Starfire fan base.
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby cjblack on Fri 30 Oct 2009 22:51

No vote.

Since I have never heard of Mafia-Wars or Trade-Wars, and never used Facebook (though I have at least heard of it), I don't feel that I am entitled to an opinion on this subject.

Resuming Lurk status.
cjblack
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Cralis on Sun 01 Nov 2009 10:37

PracticalM wrote:I guess I see what happens when I have a busy week at work. I actually started writing a design document for #3. I'll see if I can finish it up this weekend or not.

Oh ok, I wasn't sure if you were serious about the idea or not. I've actually had some interesting conversations about doing a project such as this, which is what spawned the poll. There are good reasons for doing any of the three ideas.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby coldsteel on Sun 01 Nov 2009 14:30

I'm torn on all three of these options. As long as you don't have to 'grind' like Mafia Wars does, I feel #1 would work the best.
TFN: 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Sun 01 Nov 2009 17:36

coldsteel wrote:I'm torn on all three of these options. As long as you don't have to 'grind' like Mafia Wars does, I feel #1 would work the best.

Question: what part of the game do you consider "the grind"? I have my suspicion that we are thinking the same thing, but I want to be sure before I comment (fresh perspective and all) ...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby PracticalM on Mon 02 Nov 2009 08:32

I pretty much stopped playing all the level up by doing missions because there were not very many interesting choices. Usually there is one mission that is best for whatever your current combination of level/friends#/energy.

But they are pretty simple to write and easy to keep updating if you have time. Just php and a database. Some images are always nice too.

Mobsters 2 has a simple tower defense game mission but that got old quick.

The better games have interesting interlocking missions. Do mission x to get thing y so you can do mission z.
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Yar on Mon 02 Nov 2009 09:18

While I think a Mafia Wars-style game would pull a lot more people than a more Starfire-like game, the majority of them would be attracted to a game that isn't Starfire. While a simplistic empire-building game wouldn't have as broad an appeal, I would think that those it did attract would be much more inclined to have an interest in a more complex version of the same game.

So I'm with cjblack - I have little knowledge of marketing except on the receiving end, and have no real idea which would work best. I'm inclined to vote #3, but I'm a lot conservative in my views and cynical in my outlook, and am interested in simplifying Starfire anyhow.
Yar
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby coldsteel on Wed 04 Nov 2009 23:19

Cralis wrote:
coldsteel wrote:I'm torn on all three of these options. As long as you don't have to 'grind' like Mafia Wars does, I feel #1 would work the best.

Question: what part of the game do you consider "the grind"? I have my suspicion that we are thinking the same thing, but I want to be sure before I comment (fresh perspective and all) ...

Once you complete/master the Jobs. Basically, I'm grinding XP to get to Cuba after level 12.
TFN: 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Next

Return to General