Revisiting the Facebook Idea

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

If we did a simple Facebook game, which idea has the most appeal?

Poll ended at Sat 14 Nov 2009 11:51

Choice 1: Mission-based Mafia-Wars style game idea
44%
Choice 2: Trade Wars-based game idea
No votes
Choice 3: Simple strategy game
56%

Total votes : 9

Re: Revisiting the Facebook Idea

Postby Cralis on Thu 05 Nov 2009 02:02

coldsteel wrote:Once you complete/master the Jobs. Basically, I'm grinding XP to get to Cuba after level 12.

That is interesting, because I've never fully completed New York or Cuba and I'm already level 96. I'm still winding my way through the masteries, and while robbing is offline I've been buying up expensive properties left and right and I've made billions.

I haven't even touched Russia yet.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby BillW on Thu 19 Nov 2009 19:30

Has anyone tried Starfleet Commander on Facebook? It looks like it is a closer model to Starfire than the other types of FB games.
BillW
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby PracticalM on Thu 19 Nov 2009 21:44

Starfleet Comander looks like a web based game I was playing from one of the games like Travarian/
--
Jeffrey Kessler
PracticalM
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Fri 20 Nov 2009 00:21

Space Wars is actually a virtual mirror of Mafia Wars but is "in space". It is actually quite a good example of that type of game I was talking about, even if it isn't Starfire-specific!

Now, I just wish the FB games weren't so dang slow as they've been the last 1-2 days.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby TerryTigre on Wed 27 Jun 2012 05:29

Im playing Starfleet Commander on facebook, it is about the same as O-Game which i played 5-6 years ago.

A Starfire Version would have to be innovative to have much of an impact, fortunately that is pretty easy.

One of the biggest limits on the game is 9 colonies total. Change that, and the dynamics change a lot already.

Next is warp links between systems. If the model is adopted that many players can populate a given system (for example by making players corporations instead of governments) the warp link knowledge limits how far they can explore for richest finds for example. The corporations could be the ones in charge of new exploration, much like how corporate worlds were founded in the novels/official Weber history.

This would give a contrast between known (law abiding) space and unknown (lawless) space.
Status: 26 types of tech system. Working on fleet tactics. Added b generation weapons, including G, Gb. Possible to give Ships Movement Orders. Working on SysGenV2
TerryTigre
Captain
Captain

Postby Glaive7 on Fri 13 Jul 2012 16:00

It looks like this became a dead topic, but I was still wondering if anyone was working on a facebook application? I would have voted for #3. Keeping the application closer to the real game would make any transition easier.
Glaive7

I'm going in!!! (I just don't know if I'm coming back out....)
Glaive7
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby drakar on Sun 22 Jul 2012 16:22

I would agree to keep it to more based on the real game mechanics.

Now from my standpoint of being a very avid gamer I can see Starfire being a free to play game on its own domain site. Reason being even large developers such as EA and Activison/Blizzard are now moving some of their market to free to play with buyable bonuses after Zynga has proved it effective almost tripling the above studios profits yearly.

If I went that route I would almost give it more of a Real Time Strategy feel on two different scales. One on a strategic scale that would halt when a tactical engagement occured and resume after. These are just ideas though.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war."
Plato
drakar
Captain
Captain

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 22 Jul 2012 16:39

FtP would be a great way to run a persistent universe. Players could start with their homeworld and starting fleet. They could "harvest" their planets for income/resources then buy ships/pcf's/tech etc. You could have new tech trees as buyable items.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby drakar on Sun 22 Jul 2012 17:07

They also tend to have a higher pull of consistant gamers who aren't looking to deal with the bouncing between multiple limited action games(Mafia Wars, Farmville, etc..). One successful FtP that I have seen and played for a short time was the Battlefield FtP, where you could play without the bonuses and do well and if you chose to buy a bonus it timed out after 24-48 hrs and then you no longer had it and had to go back to your own skill and previous equipment.
"Only the dead have seen the end of war."
Plato
drakar
Captain
Captain

Postby AlexeiTimoshenko on Sun 22 Jul 2012 17:30

DDO is another good example of a FtP game. It's actually a hybrid where subscription players have free access to all content while FtP players can buy access to certain areas/gear/character classes etc.
Charles Rosenberg.

Alexei Timoshenko is the name of my protagonist in the fanfics, although I wish it could have been me.
AlexeiTimoshenko
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to General