Revisiting the Facebook Idea

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

If we did a simple Facebook game, which idea has the most appeal?

Poll ended at Sat 14 Nov 2009 11:51

Choice 1: Mission-based Mafia-Wars style game idea
44%
Choice 2: Trade Wars-based game idea
No votes
Choice 3: Simple strategy game
56%

Total votes : 9

Re: Revisiting the Facebook Idea

Postby aramis on Thu 31 Oct 2019 11:44

Cralis wrote:
The problem I see is that a game on FBK is unlikely to actually use any real Starfire rules...

No it wouldn't be like a Starfire game we play now. It would have to be something that uses the IP but is a completely different game.

Then, knowing that the Steve White materials are already divergent, I can't see how it would help the boardgame line. All I can see is a further dilution of the brand. And possible problems for/with Mr. White
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby voidstalker[woe] on Thu 31 Oct 2019 23:40

I have to ask, how many people (like myself) don't even have a FB presence at all?

Back some time ago, I did make fake FB pages so I could play a game called 'Evony' or somesuch, but the whole idea of giving out personal info on the web has never struck me as a particularly bright idea. If I didn't HAVE to use my real name and such, that might not be bad, but as is, never.
voidstalker[woe]
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Tue 05 Nov 2019 02:01

aramis wrote:Then, knowing that the Steve White materials are already divergent, I can't see how it would help the boardgame line. All I can see is a further dilution of the brand. And possible problems for/with Mr. White

I'm curious what you mean by "Steve White" materials, since he's the co-author of ALL of the original Starfire novels. If you're talking about his latest Starfire novels, those are very much an extension to the Classic "Weber/White" Starfire history. In fact, Steve White is the only author who is common to every single Starfire novel!

So I was curious what you were thinking there.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby aramis on Sat 16 Nov 2019 03:04

Cralis wrote:
aramis wrote:Then, knowing that the Steve White materials are already divergent, I can't see how it would help the boardgame line. All I can see is a further dilution of the brand. And possible problems for/with Mr. White

I'm curious what you mean by "Steve White" materials, since he's the co-author of ALL of the original Starfire novels. If you're talking about his latest Starfire novels, those are very much an extension to the Classic "Weber/White" Starfire history. In fact, Steve White is the only author who is common to every single Starfire novel!

So I was curious what you were thinking there.

Divergent: no longer moving in the same direction, no longer growing together.

The game as adapted post third ed doesn't use the same setting. Therefore, divergent. You yourself have implied that there will be no further representation of any further novels by Mr. White in the setting in the game rules.

Therefore, divergent. Anything new won't be reflected (and the last one didn't seem reflected in 3rd ed, anyway), thus it's a different setting under the same title.
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sat 16 Nov 2019 15:15

aramis wrote:The game as adapted post third ed doesn't use the same setting. Therefore, divergent. You yourself have implied that there will be no further representation of any further novels by Mr. White in the setting in the game rules.

To be fair, what I think I said (and should have said) is that we don't have any agreements to continue producing materials for Third Edition based on the new novels. I've brought it up before but without an actual plan to present, they aren't willing to talk about it. I just need more hours of the day, additional arms & hands, or an on-board computer system or something to get more efficiency out of the time that I do have before I can do anything with them.

Therefore, divergent. Anything new won't be reflected (and the last one didn't seem reflected in 3rd ed, anyway), thus it's a different setting under the same title.

The real divergence was when Task Force Games produced Insurrection, Alkeda Dawn, and First Contact; the post-Insurrection history and the other two products diverge from the Weber/White history. Now that it's a White/Gannon history, we may revisit this in the future. But not right now.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Previous

Return to General