Playing with the minis...

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Playing with the minis...

Postby mcb1968 on Fri 08 Nov 2013 21:17

Gathering Forces
(With acknowledgements to Amarillo Design Bureau)
The Rebel Leader had called a meeting of his followers to plan their march on the capital. Many were less than enthusiastic, but all were curious about what he might offer those who helped him establish a new regime. Through its network of spies and drones, the Office of the Polemarch found out about the meeting and sent a fleet to deal with this upstart yokel. As the potential recruits arrived, neither side could be sure of their loyalty.

Number of Players 4-6
Miniatures Set Up
Table is 36x36
Asteroid Cluster (Middle of the Board)
This is a VERY dense field and is impassable for ships and provides a +2 defensive bonus for any shots fired through it.
Players Roll off to determine who sets up first. The player who sets up first moves last.
Rebel Squadron
1xCA, 1xCL, 3xFF within 6 inches of any corner
Loyal Squadron
1xCA, 1xCL, 3xFF within 6 inches of either corner adjacent (but at least 24 inches away from) the Rebel player
Feudal Lords roll off for order of set up.
All other ships set up at least 24 inches away from every other player. Space will fill up quickly.
Feudal Lord #1 1xCL, 1xFF
Feudal Lord #2 1xCA
Feudal Lord #3 3xFF
Feudal Lord #4 1xCL, 1xFF

Length of Scenario
The scenario continues until all units except those belonging to one player, and his allies, have been destroyed or have disengaged. If the Rebel Leader is killed or captured, the scenario ends immediately. If the ship bearing the Rebel Leader disengages, any Rebel ships or allies must immediately disengage or surrender.
• The board is fixed, any ships leaving the map are deemed to have disengaged and may not return.
• Before the scenario begins, each of the Feudal Lords draws one card from an ordinary deck of playing cards. Each Lord will keep his card secret until the end of the scenario.
• If a Lord’s Card is Red, his is Rebel, if it is Black, he is Polemarch. A Joker gets to choose which side he is on.
• A player may reveal his loyalty at any time, but he may wish to keep it a secret.
• If a ship belonging to one of the Lords is fired at by a ship belonging to the Polmarch or Rebel player, he immediately joins the other side regardless of what his card says. This can only happen once in a scenario.
• If a ship belonging to a Lord fires on and damages a ship belonging to, or announced to be on the side of the player matching the Lord’s Card, the Lord loses the scenario.
• The Rebel Leader is presumed to be aboard his CA. If the ship he is on is destroyed he is presumed killed.
mcb1968
Commander
Commander

Postby Albireo on Mon 11 Nov 2013 14:57

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

looks like a Starfire 2 booklet near the edge of the table ?

What did the blue and green colored stone markers represent ?
Albireo
Captain
Captain

Postby mcb1968 on Mon 11 Nov 2013 20:53

I converted a couple of SF2 BB for use with our first scenario. The stones are used to mark ships that have moved and/or fired.
mcb1968
Commander
Commander

Postby mcb1968 on Mon 11 Nov 2013 21:19

So I have some suggestions for using minis with Starfire.

1. Measure movement from the base and firing from the middle of the model.
2. Dispense with the "pulsed" movement system. Its fiddly enough on a hex map, its a way too cumbersome to doe with miniatures. Move the ships their complete move in alternating bounds. If you are using datalink, then move the ships by datalinked group. Slower ships move first, then ships with worse turn modes move first. Make a hex shaped template to use to make your ship turns with.
3. Models can be marked with counters(!) to keep track of class and ship number. Very handy when using Firestorm Armada frigates as Starfire destroyers. With counters in play, you can also "stack" ships on top of one another, although I would generally try to avoid stacking more than the occasional overlap. Although on the other side, you could run some truly HUGE games by stacking counters on mini bases to mark multiple ships of a type that move and fight together.

For both the counter and miniature versions, I recommend marking ships which have moved and/or fired. This really helps folks keep track of who has done what to whom :) .
mcb1968
Commander
Commander

Postby Albireo on Fri 22 Nov 2013 04:18

This is off topic, so I posted in The Starless Void.

http://www.starfiredesign.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2297&start=0

. . . but I digress . . .
Albireo
Captain
Captain

Postby Albireo on Sun 20 Jul 2014 22:39

I was searching around on the internet and found this. I thought I should post it before I forget.

http://shaun-wargaming-minis.blogspot.com/2013/07/spaceship-miniature-game-starfire-with.html

I do not know who Shaun is, but he seems to be playing a modified ISW1 scenario 2 Second Battle of VX-134. 8-)
Albireo
Captain
Captain

Postby tdh8192 on Mon 21 Jul 2014 08:03

That's my anonymous post at the bottom directing netizens to this website. Go Starfire!
- Tom
tdh8192
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Previous

Return to General