Final Game Aid Agreement

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Owner, SDS Members

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Final Game Aid Agreement

Postby Cralis on Thu 24 Jul 2014 02:26

This is the final version of the game aid agreement. The SDS is now ready to get the party started! If you email me and request an agreement I will send you a download link with the document in .docx format (if you need a different format, please specify in the email).

Agreements are per author and per game aid/software. Each person who wants to participate will have to form a separate agreement with us. Also, this agreement is not a blanket acceptance of all potential game aids. The SDS will decide if they want to agree to allow a particular game aid. Without our agreement and Marvin's signature, a particular game aid is not authorized by the SDS.

And on a related note, we are now also ready to discuss specifics with the couple of players who want to do something outside this agreement. If you want to discuss something like this, please email me.

Here is the text of the agreement:

Part 1. Parties to this agreement: This agreement is entered into by and between the Starfire Design Studio (hereafter as “SDS”) and _________________ (hereafter as “Author”), on ________ day of ___________________, 20____ in the County of Clinton, State of Michigan.

Part 2. Intent: The SDS and the Author enter an agreement where the Author can develop and distribute “game aid” software for the Starfire Gaming System as long as it adheres to a defined set of rules and restrictions. This license applies to an individual Game Aid, ______________________________________, and does not confer, apply, or be transferrable to other Game Aids.

Part 3. Definitions:

“Author” – The individual who wrote and distributed the game aid. If the Author is part of a group developing and distributing the game aid, each member must sign the agreement.

“Game Aid” – Software application, as per provision 4d, that is used to assist players of specific Starfire System game products to play the game(s).

Part 4. Details:

4a. Changes to this agreement: The SDS can make changes to this agreement by publishing a public notice on the appropriate area of the SDS forums. The Author can choose to terminate the agreement as per provision 6 within 30 days of any change to the agreement.

4b. Standard Rules: The game aid must implement the standard (i.e. non-optional) rules for the product they support according to the latest version of the targeted edition. It may, at the Authors option, allow deliberate selection of optional rules from said rules. Non-standard and house rules may not be the default selection, and must be deliberately activated via a menu or equivalent selection. These optional or house rules must be clearly marked as such. In the event of a dispute over the correct implementation of a rule, the Author agrees to abide by any rulings or errata given by the SDS.

The SDS can demand that any non-standard and house rules be removed from the application, at any time. Failure to comply can be cause for Termination.

4c. Rule Text: The game aid will not provide to the user any rules or tables except as necessary for the function of the game aid. Rules tables can be used in the source code or in supporting files, but must be pre-approved by the SDS. Any data files released by the SDS, which contains this information, is pre-approved. The exceptions are Excel and Access where the data must be on a hidden spreadsheet or locked in a password protected code-behind.

4d. Platform: The game aid may run on any or all of the Windows, Linux, and Macintosh platforms. Any further platforms, including but not limited to iOS, Android and other Phone/Tablet operating systems, server-client applications of any kind, or web server-based applications must receive specific written permission. Alternatively, the game aid may be written in Java and the executable code distributed as a .JAR file.

4e. Notices and Disclaimers: The software must include the following disclaimer – this must either be displayed on a Splash Screen at the start-up of the game aid, or within view on a 720p (1280x720) screen when the application is started. It must also be displayed on any “About” screen for the program.

The disclaimer is as follows;

STARFIRE is a registered trademark of the SDS, and its rules are copyrighted by the SDS. This game aid is the work of <name/groups name> and is released for free distribution, not for resale, with permission from the SDS.

Information about the STARFIRE gaming system can be found at http:// http://www.starfiredesign.com/starfire.com

This Game Aid is the work of <name/groups name> and the SDS is not liable for this software or any defects or vulnerabilities.

4f. Commercial Distribution and Associated Prohibited: The Author may not sell, impose a fee, or distribute any Game Aid for any commercial purpose, or in connection with any commercial enterprise, without the SDS’s prior express consent in writing. The Game Aid may not solicit donations nor be used to advertise goods and services.

4g. License to Distribute:

1. The Author grants the SDS a non-exclusive, royalty-free, otherwise unlimited right to distribute the Game Aid.

2. The SDS grants the Author permission to distribute the Game Aid as per provision 4f. The SDS must publicly attribute the Author.

4h. Maintaining Contact Details: The Author will provide on the Game Aid Agreement form, and will inform the SDS in a timely manner (by writing, or to the email address marvin@starfiredesign.com) of any changes, include his/her:

1. Legal Name
2. Physical address, not a PO Box
3. Working Phone Number
4. Email address

The Author will provide this Email address in either the documentation with the Game Aid, or in the “about” screen of the Game Aid. The SDS shall not distribute the Address or Phone number without prior permission from the Author.

4i. Transferability: This license may not be transferred or assigned by the Author. The license can be re-assigned if approved by the SDS, under a new agreement with the new Author.

4j. Privacy: Your Game Aid must comply with all applicable privacy laws. Your Game Aid may not collect or store any personal information of end users without first obtaining express consent to do so from the user. Any transmission of user data to the internet must be specifically disclosed and agreed to in writing.

4k. Other Principles: The Game Aid and Authors actions in relation to the Game Aid must not:
• Break any applicable laws
• Bring the SDS into disrepute
• Include any third-party bundled applications
• Cause any third-party applications, plug-ins, or other such to be installed on the user’s computer/usage device without the user’s express permission.
• Infringe, or cause the SDS to infringe, on any third-party intellectual property rights

Part 5. Liability: To the fullest extent held possible at law, the Author agrees to release, indemnify, defend and hold harmless the SDS and all associated persons from any liability – including but not limited to notices, demands, actions, losses, damages, expenses (including legal fees) - however arising and whether based in contract, tort or statute, regardless of the parties involved that arises from or in relation to the Author’s Game Aid.

Part 6. Termination: The Author may terminate this agreement with 30 days of written notice. The SDS may terminate this agreement immediately for a breach of the agreement, for any reason or without cause with 30 days of written notice, said termination or notice of termination to be delivered to the e-mail address provided in 4h.

6a. Provisions 4g(1) and 5 of this agreement survive through termination.

6b. If a provision of this agreement is or becomes illegal, invalid, or unenforceable in any jurisdiction, it will not effect:

6b1. The validity or enforceability, in any jurisdiction, of any other provision of this agreement; or

6b2. The validity or enforceability, in any other jurisdictions, of that provision of this agreement.

6c. In the case of (6b), the SDS reserves the right to terminate this agreement unless a replacement agreement acceptable to the SDS can be made between the SDS and the Author.

Part 7. Other Agreements: This agreement may be modified by other agreements which the Author may enter into with the SDS.

Part 8. Signatures:
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Re: Final Game Aid Agreement

Postby szurkey on Sat 06 Sep 2014 05:52

Everything I've coded is to automate my house rules to reduce the time burden on implementing them. Why would I ever agree to this agreement? How do I benefit by wasting hours of my life coding official rules I will NEVER use?
szurkey
Captain
Captain

Postby Lomn on Sat 06 Sep 2014 07:08

If you're not distributing the tool, then the agreement isn't necessary.

If you're wanting to distribute a tool that uses Starfire IP, then the SDS has a vested interest in regulating the use of their IP via this agreement.

In no case is a licensing agreement something an end user signs up for because "hey, voluntarily restricting my options is fun;" it's because that's the cost of doing business.
Lomn
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Sat 06 Sep 2014 09:36

szurkey wrote: my house rules

As long as the coding stays in your house, no problem Szurkey. But ifyou give a copy of it to a friend , you just broke copyright law. I'm sure you can see the difference. This is the case even if you have made extensive modifications; as long as the base rules system used was: 3rd, Ultra, Solar, or any other version of Starfire, SDS owns those rights.

I bought a 2nd copy of Solar to give to my Nephew; now he can use his own house rules tables for SysGen (for Solar as neither of us owns the Ultimate package), which are remarkably similar to mine, eh! The SysGen has no real coding, just a few Lookup tables on the spreadsheet we both have. Nothing that combines steps or lets a person print out a system. But I respected SDS enough that I got that second game copy so he didn't need to come to my house to process his turns and he is also able to study the tables I've added to SysGen at his own home. If he cares to use them, of course. But then I'm kinda hard-line wth respect to copyright law abuse. Zero tolerance; because some decade when I grow up, I want to publish games too.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sat 06 Sep 2014 12:00

As I said in the other topic, it bears repeating here:

The SDS has no legal right nor any interest in attempting to regulate what you do "at home." We only care if you try to distribute, and that's where we have both the legal right and interest in making sure that you follow the agreement.

And it has been said multiple times in the last couple weeks: if you feel there is a compelling reason why you should have a special agreement, you're more than willing to email or PM me and open a dialogue to negotiate. While there is no guarantee that the SDS will agree, a number of players have asked for and been granted special permissions over the years for various things. Case in point, SOLAR STARFIRE is a direct result of one of those special agreements...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Albireo on Tue 17 Feb 2015 01:46

Cralis wrote:This is the final version of the game aid agreement. The SDS is now ready to get the party started!

. . .
. . .

Here is the text of the agreement:

. . .
. . .

4e. Notices and Disclaimers: The software must include the following disclaimer – this must either be displayed on a Splash Screen at the start-up of the game aid, or within view on a 720p (1280x720) screen when the application is started. It must also be displayed on any “About” screen for the program.

The disclaimer is as follows;

STARFIRE is a registered trademark of the SDS, and its rules are copyrighted by the SDS. This game aid is the work of <name/groups name> and is released for free distribution, not for resale, with permission from the SDS.

Information about the STARFIRE gaming system can be found at http:// http://www.starfiredesign.com/starfire.com

This Game Aid is the work of <name/groups name> and the SDS is not liable for this software or any defects or vulnerabilities.

. . .
. . .

Cralis,

The provided internet address is not correct. And there are two " http:// "
Albireo
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Tue 17 Feb 2015 02:40

Albireo wrote:The provided internet address is not correct. And there are two " http:// "

Fixed! Thank you... strangely enough, Word did not flag that as a misspelled word.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Return to General