Nukesnipe's Miniatures

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Nukesnipe's Miniatures

Postby nukesnipe on Mon 11 May 2015 18:58

Okay,

I received my Shapeways order today: the Terran QSR package + 3 light cruisers, the Rigellian QSR package + a light cruiser data group, and a turn key. The ships are in Frosted Detail while the turn key is in white strong and flexible.

The bad news: the delivery was about two weeks later than advertised by Shapeways. I think it had something to do with the Rigellian QSR package as that was the last one produced.

The good news: on first inspection, there appears to be no damaged or malformed miniatures.

The strange news: for some reason Shapeways saw fit to include an additional Rigellian cruiser and three destroyers in my QSR package. I'm guessing the extra miniatures have some sort of defect, but I can't see it. Or, perhaps they are an apology for the late delivery. No clue.

First impressions: this was my first Shapeways purchase. In fact, before today I've never seen a Shapeways product in the wild:

1. Having dealt exclusively with metal and resin miniatures for the longest time, I was amazed at how light the miniatures are. The frosted detail is actually translucent. Even without studying them under a magnifying glass the detail is pretty amazing. Some of them have faint striations, which I suspect is from the fabrication process. Nothing untoward, and they will probably be hidden once painted.

2. They seem so SMALL. The dimensions on Shapeways are clear, but it didn't register. Perhaps it's the light weight that's throwing me off, making me think they are smaller than they really are. The light cruisers are actually longer than my Attack Vector: Tactical Rafiks.

3. Several of the miniatures are coated with a slightly greasy substance. If they were metal or resin, I'd suspect it to be some sort of releasing agent. I'm certain a good scrubbing with warm water and soap will clean them up.

4. As should be expected, there is absolutely no excess material as with metal or resin miniatures. That's a nice change not having to break out a file to clean the miniatures up before I paint them.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased. I'll need to hit up Photon Cutter Studios http://www.photoncutterstudios.com/ for some flight stands and then hope that Ninja Magic http://www.ninjamagic.com/ starts making adapters again this year as they stated they might.

I'm thinking about painting them the colors of the original game counters: blue for the Terrans and Green for the Rigellians. Not sure what shade yet, but as I won't get around to painting them until July-ish I have plenty of time to figure that out. ;)
Last edited by nukesnipe on Wed 13 May 2015 09:45, edited 2 times in total.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Re: Nukesnipe's Miniatures

Postby Xveers on Mon 11 May 2015 20:49

Aye, I'm hoping that Ninja Magic starts back up, my stockpile's running low...
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby nukesnipe on Tue 12 May 2015 06:36

I emailed him earlier this year asking about bringing the product line back into production. I guess he's doing some regrouping (personal, business or both, I haven't a clue) and hopes to recommence production later this year. I read that to mean fourth quarter.

I sometimes forget that a lot of this hobby involves individuals and small groups of people doing this out of passion. I am frequently humbled by their efforts and endeavor to support them as best I can - and curb any tendency towards impatience. For instance, having seen the miniatures I received yesterday, I'm asking myself "Where in the world is the KON QSR package?!" Then I remind myself that a few months ago none of these miniatures existed....

Kind of an awkward way of trying to say thanks to everyone for what you've been up to.... :oops:
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby Xveers on Tue 12 May 2015 18:42

I believe it's a good bit of both. I know he moved this (last?) year and he's been spending a lot of time getting re-situated and dealing with his employment. The fact he's a one-man guy running this shop is nothing to sneeze at either, and that as always cuts into the amount of time that can be devoted to what are effectively his side projects.

Even so, I eagerly await his re-opening so I can order a few hundred adaptors (I remember one year almost cleaning him out on the last day of GenCon).
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Tue 12 May 2015 19:52

nukesnipe wrote:Okay,

I received my Shapeways order today: the Terran QSR package + 3 light cruisers, the Rigellian QSR package + a light cruiser data group, and a turn key. The ships are in Frosted Detail while the turn key is in white strong and flexible.

The bad news: the delivery was about two weeks later than advertised by Shapeways. I think it had something to do with the Rigellian QSR package as that was the last one produced.

Actually, it was because they were canceling the Frosted Detail material type. They had a TON of extra orders of people trying to get it before it disappeared. I still haven't received my samples of the new TFN BB... (although it looks like it shipped yesterday)

I think they underestimated how popular it was.

The good news: on first inspection, there appears to be no damaged or malformed miniatures.

The strange news: for some reason Shapeways saw fit to include an additional Rigellian cruiser and three destroyers in my QSR package. I'm guessing the extra miniatures have some sort of defect, but I can't see it. Or, perhaps they are an apology for the late delivery. No clue.

I'd have filed that under "good news." Maybe even "excellent news" :)

First impressions: this was my first Shapeways purchase. In fact, before today I've never seen a Shapeways product in the wild:

1. Having dealt exclusively with metal and resin miniatures for the longest time, I was amazed at how light the miniatures are. The frosted detail is actually translucent. Even without studying them under a magnifying glass the detail is pretty amazing. Some of them have faint striations, which I suspect is from the fabrication process. Nothing untoward, and they will probably be hidden once painted.

I've mentioned this several times, especially on the FB pictures. It has to do with the orientation of the 3D model in their printer. Some of the poorer plastics, if oriented incorrectly, have HUGE striations.

You can see it on our picture at https://www.facebook.com/starfireboardgame/photos/a.355450604603644.1073741826.149744658507574/514181365397233

And in the middle cruiser in this picture https://www.facebook.com/starfireboardgame/photos/a.485435201605183.1073741828.149744658507574/485435228271847

We consider this to be a flaw now and I'm urging people to contact Shapeways and ask for a reprint in these cases. There is a HUGE movement on their forums from sellers asking that they allow us to specify an orientation for our models so we can prevent this issue. Unfortunately, Shapeways is pushing back on both counts.

2. They seem so SMALL. The dimensions on Shapeways are clear, but it didn't register. Perhaps it's the light weight that's throwing me off, making me thing they are smaller than they really are. The light cruisers are actually longer than my Attack Vector: Tactical Rafiks.

This is true. They are also a little easier to damage than say, pewter or metal miniatures. I could easily break some of the thinner designs by tossing them around. Of course, I could do the same to half of my D&D miniatures too. And when I shipped my mechwarrior miniatures half of those arms DID break off despite the extra packing...

3. Several of the miniature are coated with a slightly greasy substance. If they were metal or resin, I'd suspect it to be some sort of releasing agent. I'm certain a good scrubbing with warm water and soap will clean them up.

I didn't see this, but now that you mention it I've heard a little about it. I looked it up on their forums and it turns out that there is a greasy byproduct that comes from the support material they print under the miniature. They are currently asking if people want a chemical bath to remove it, but the result would be a washed-out surface (probably white colored) instead of translucent, so they aren't sure if they are going to offer it.

Yes, they recommend giving it a little bath in soap and water to fix it. They say it doesn't take much effort so be careful not to break the miniature!

I'd note that I used to have to do this with some of the older resin miniatures I got back in the '90s for D&D. It was a pain in the butt back then...

4. As should be expected, there is absolutely no excess material as with metal or resin miniatures. That's a nice change not having to break out a file to clean the miniatures up before I paint them.

Totally. Agree. I've accidentally cut off parts of miniatures that I mistook for excess because there was so much excess. Frustrating.

All in all, I'm pretty pleased. I'll need to hit up Photon Cutter Studios http://www.photoncutterstudios.com/ for some flight stands and then hope that Ninja Magic http://www.ninjamagic.com/ starts making adapters again this year as they stated they might.

I am currently talking to Litko about seeing if they are interested in making those custom bases available on their site. If you haven't seen them on our FB pictures, check it out...

https://www.facebook.com/starfireboardgame/photos/a.485435201605183.1073741828.149744658507574/511843218964381

I'm thinking about painting them the colors of the original game counters: blue for the Terrans and Green for the Rigellians. Not sure what shade yet, but as I won't get around to painting them until July-ish I have plenty of time to figure that out. ;)

I haven't decided yet either, or if I'm going to paint the samples. I'm not very good =\
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Tue 12 May 2015 21:17

nukesnipe wrote:For instance, having seen the miniatures I received yesterday, I'm asking myself "Where in the world is the KON QSR package?!" Then I remind myself that a few months ago none of these miniatures existed....

Todd is still working on designing the KON ships that don't exist in the artwork. Once we have a KON CA design available, we'll do a QSR Pack.

And actually, I'm thinking about changing them. Instead of having two sets of one race, I'm thinking of having three initial packs: TFN vs KON, TFN vs RPSA, and KON vs RPSA. One cruiser and two destroyers of each race, as per the pack. What do you think?

Kind of an awkward way of trying to say thanks to everyone for what you've been up to.... :oops:

Once this month clears out, I know _I_ will have a lot more time available. But it sure sounds like the same is going to be relatively true for most of the SDS members and Todd.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby nukesnipe on Wed 13 May 2015 05:55

Cralis wrote:And actually, I'm thinking about changing them. Instead of having two sets of one race, I'm thinking of having three initial packs: TFN vs KON, TFN vs RPSA, and KON vs RPSA. One cruiser and two destroyers of each race, as per the pack. What do you think?

Hmmmm.... "Fleet packs" and "Battle packs". I think options are always nice. Having two different races in one pack would seem to make more "QSR" sense and might appeal to those who want to dip their toe in the waters.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby Otterman on Wed 13 May 2015 08:58

Cralis wrote:Todd is still working on designing the KON ships that don't exist in the artwork. Once we have a KON CA design available, we'll do a QSR Pack.

Sigh.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby nukesnipe on Fri 12 Feb 2016 20:45

Okay, I had to take a break from practicing shading skin tones on my 15mm miniatures, so I painted up my Rigellians. Not the best photo quality, but it's all I have....

A couple of shots of the Rigellian (RPSA) Destroyer ISW-3 Refit:

And the pre-ISW 3 Rigellian (RPSA) Destroyer:

The Rigellian (RPSA) Light Cruisers

and, the Rigellian (RPSA) Cruiser with the Rigellian (RPSA) Command Cruiser in the middle:

I don't normally paint spaceships, although I've somehow suddenly found myself with a growing collection. Lacking imagination, I decided to paint the various Starfire factions in the colors of their game counters. At least that way I can remember who's who.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Sun 14 Feb 2016 04:56

nukesnipe wrote:I don't normally paint spaceships, although I've somehow suddenly found myself with a growing collection. Lacking imagination, I decided to paint the various Starfire factions in the colors of their game counters. At least that way I can remember who's who.

Wow, very nice. I'm still trying to figure out the best way to apply primer. No, I've never really painted miniatures before... but I have until next month to get some ready for Gamestorm 18.

I REALLY like your idea of using the counter color (at least in some way). That way when I use counters for small craft and/or squadrons and other units they'll match the miniatures.

Oh! Would it be cool to use your pictures as examples on the Facebook page? Elsewhere?

Cralis wrote:Todd is still working on designing the KON ships that don't exist in the artwork. Once we have a KON CA design available, we'll do a QSR Pack.

I don't know if I ever responded back about this, but in case anyone is wondering you have two choices for the KON packages:

You're either talking about the QSR Packs
KON vs RPSA http://www.shapeways.com/product/PEHGTP ... d=57410324
KON vs TFN http://www.shapeways.com/product/WRM55Q ... d=57296040

Or the KON Cruiser Squadron at http://www.shapeways.com/product/PTMZ39 ... d=57296162
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Next

Return to General