Tabletop Simulator

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Tabletop Simulator

Postby Cralis on Thu 16 Feb 2017 15:22

Who chooses the photo used as a room?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Thu 16 Feb 2017 19:51

Cralis wrote:Who chooses the photo used as a room?

The mod owner can designate one (including a custom one) when the mod is loaded, but that can be changed by the host of the game at any time.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby nukesnipe on Fri 17 Feb 2017 15:20

Loaded up TSS last night...almost flipped my computer table!

What's a good resource for designing a module? For the life of me, I haven't been able to figure it out.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby Xveers on Fri 17 Feb 2017 20:13

nukesnipe wrote:Loaded up TSS last night...almost flipped my computer table!

What's a good resource for designing a module? For the life of me, I haven't been able to figure it out.

The best I've found so far is http://berserk-games.com/knowledgebase. But honestly I've been looking for some CURRENT youtube videos, to absolutely no avail. It's definitely an iterative learning experience, that's for sure! :evil:
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby nukesnipe on Fri 17 Feb 2017 21:34

I just went through all the wiki videos. I'm running about 50-50 with TSS crashing when I start to play around with it. Probably some setting I haven't figured out....
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby grondak on Wed 26 Jul 2017 20:42

Any progress on this? I didn't download/buy the TTS program yet.Sounds intruiging ...
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby Xveers on Thu 27 Jul 2017 19:31

I got all the chits scanned in, but actually building the downloadable set of everything for Steam is a bit tricky. There's not a lot of good guides or howtos on that, unfortunately. That, and my work kinda got busy and clocked me over the head.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Moonsword on Fri 28 Jul 2017 06:36

The three times I've run combat in my solitaire game, I've used a combination of MapTool to track positions, lots of d10s, and Notepad++ (with ship dumps from the Excel ship builder) to track ship damage and other information in a combat log.

I'm curious about something a little more robust like Tabletop Simulator but the things I'm hearing in here make me a tad bit nervous about plonking down cash for it.
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

Postby Xveers on Thu 03 Aug 2017 13:57

Moonsword wrote:I'm curious about something a little more robust like Tabletop Simulator but the things I'm hearing in here make me a tad bit nervous about plonking down cash for it.

The crashing thing mentioned earlier is something that I've never experienced, either as a host or while playing the game with friends. Plenty of the real issues that come with the game is when people make heavily scripted fan implementations of board games (it's clear that there's some pretty deep scripting support in the game. You can have it automatically keep score, as well as implement some pretty impressive automation for certain game events). Most of those issues are also as a result of "reverting" the game to a pre-flipped table state. The scripting doesn't seem to quite handle that cleanly. Fortunately, the host can also lock the ability for the table to be flipped :D

As far as setting up Starfire goes, my main roadblock has been this:

The generic board lets me set a hex field with snapping (both to cell and chit orientation), and I can set the background to be a custom image, BUT the hex lines will ALWAYS be black. Doing this for a space game is... problematic as one might imagine! I want it to look at least reasonably okay!

A related roadblock is that the base table really isn't THAT big when it comes to putting chits on it, and I'm not really happy with the tradeoffs needed to actually fit a big enough battlefield (where 30+ hex ranges on LRW are the common enough). So I've been playing with using custom model to fit in a bigger gamespace, but then I have the same issue as above.

I've got a long weekend coming up, and I'm going to try to put some time in this weekend to get this resolved. If I can lick the issue with the hex coloration, I can probably get something done in the steam workshop.

Edit:
I did some browsing last night, and I think I found a good hexfield map I can work with... we'll see this weekend!

Edit #2:
Success! After some hammering with Photoshop, I got a nice looking starmap! Now to get the hexgrid to line up!
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Xveers on Mon 07 Aug 2017 20:57

Hussah!

I have labored to produce!
http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197989723983/myworkshopfiles/?appid=286160

It's now live and usable (as best as my testing can attest!). This is more of a bare-bones chits and hexmap thing. The base game supports adding all the dice you could want, and you can mod other things in as you see fit later. The only things it has from the SDS are the chits and the SDS logo. Everything else has been sourced from free sources (the hex field and the background image).

Please feel free to test and poke at it.

I know it has one bug that I haven't figured out how to work around yet: When you rename chits and then stack them, for some reason the names aren't handled properly when they're unstacked IE all the stacked chits get to keep the same name. I'm poking at this to see if this is just an odd bug or some kind of feature that can be worked around.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to General