Tabletop Simulator

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Tabletop Simulator

Postby Xveers on Fri 03 Feb 2017 23:19

So, as of late I've been playing board games with my friend online via a program called Tabletop Simulator. Think kinda vaguely like VASSAL (I suppose) but a bit more flexible for supporting multiple kinds of games. It's been a lot of fun, but in the course of looking at all the stuff load in for my own use, I noticed a surprising lack of spaceships in general. Or even chits.

So I had this idea... why not set something up for Starfire?

Now I imagine that right now alarms are going off, orders are being yelled into microphones and... wait, sorry that's from a movie ;)
(In seriousness, there'd be nothing actually game mechanics related. No charts, no designs, no nada. Just a hex field with some chits).

Anyhow, I've done a bit of looking into it, and it looks like it would be a rather simple thing to set up. I figure I'd spend most of my time scanning in or importing chits than I would setting up the rest of everything...

Thoughts sirs?
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Tabletop Simulator

Postby Cralis on Sat 04 Feb 2017 15:05

I've seen it... it looks like a simulation of a playing table in VR.

Go for it :)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Sat 04 Feb 2017 18:20

Cralis wrote:I've seen it... it looks like a simulation of a playing table in VR.

Go for it :)

That's exactly what it is! And as a bonus the loser (well, anyone can, but why would anyone else do this?) can flip the table and scatter things everywhere!
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Sun 05 Feb 2017 06:02

Xveers wrote:And as a bonus the loser (well, anyone can, but why would anyone else do this?) can flip the table and scatter things everywhere!

Oh my... sign me up! :roll:

I'll be interested in seeing how it works out. I've not used it, but I've seen a little bit about it.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Tue 14 Feb 2017 03:29

Status update:

Scanned a good copy of the chits, then copy-pasted them all into individual images for later chit creation (Did you know that 4th edition had 92 different chits? I do now!)

Having some trouble making a good hex-field for the game (the programme doesn't support changing the colour of the hex field, and it's a bit of a trick to find one that I can use as a background that would actually work! Might have to bust out some software to actually make my own hexmap graphic for the play mat.

Also figure I should make a few other chits for different planets. I have ones for habitable planets and earthlike moons, as well as asteroids. Thinking perhaps one more for gas giants would be good.

Did some basic experimentation on how to structure things in Tabletop Simulator. Definitely think it's doable now. Only downside is that you can't "write" on the game chits visually, but you CAN edit the individual chit descriptions so you can copy, say four cruisers, then label them all as "CA 1, CA 2, CA 3, CA 4" and then they pop up when you hover over them. Also useful if you want to append more info.

Only other bit of madness is I need to play with how to organise all the chits: Crudest way to do it would be 92 different piles of chits, but that would suck up a LOT of table resources. Will need to do some more experimentation. Probably sort them into six piles, and have the players copy them (Red Ships, Red Advanced Ships, Blue Ships, Blue Advanced Ships, bases/stations, and natural phenomena).

Query: Is there a digital image of the smaller "radial hex map" out there somewhere? Would be kind of cool to put out that map in as an optional thing as well.

Also, this would probably get SOME use on the Steam workshop; there's definitely nothing there that's even remotely similar that I can see.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby nukesnipe on Tue 14 Feb 2017 07:09

Xveers,

Thanks for doing this. One of the reasons I bought into Tabletop Simulator some time ago was to work on exactly what you are doing.

Of course, life intruded and I never had a chance to figure it out....
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Tue 14 Feb 2017 10:55

Xveers, no virtual fishing tackle snap boxes for the chits? *laugh*

Putting it on the Steam Workshop would be pretty cool. Can you put links back to the website so potential players can find the rules they'll need to play the game?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Tue 14 Feb 2017 20:52

Cralis wrote:Xveers, no virtual fishing tackle snap boxes for the chits? *laugh*

Putting it on the Steam Workshop would be pretty cool. Can you put links back to the website so potential players can find the rules they'll need to play the game?

Sadly not! That, and the ability to change the colour of the hex grid the game engine gives you are the two things that makes me shake my fist the most at Tabletop Simulator! :evil:

And of course I'll be putting links back to the website when I upload it to Steam. I even am putting the SDS logo on the back of each of the chits :D Personally, I'm just happy the SDS isn't getting twitchy about me using their chit artwork for this >.>

@ Nukesnipe
Mechanically, it's actually really really simple. It just doesn't help that the documentation is so sparse. What tutorials and video examples are VERY old, and I'm not sure how much of it I can trust. The game interface has changed just enough to make it annoying,
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Tue 14 Feb 2017 21:18

Xveers wrote:And of course I'll be putting links back to the website when I upload it to Steam. I even am putting the SDS logo on the back of each of the chits :D Personally, I'm just happy the SDS isn't getting twitchy about me using their chit artwork for this >.>

Hmmm... no more than we would get upset over Vassal, for example. Are you having the table outside or inside the game room? I was going to say that maybe I should provide you with some artwork setup as Starfire posters if you had walls in the gaming area...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Xveers on Wed 15 Feb 2017 20:44

Cralis wrote:
Xveers wrote:And of course I'll be putting links back to the website when I upload it to Steam. I even am putting the SDS logo on the back of each of the chits :D Personally, I'm just happy the SDS isn't getting twitchy about me using their chit artwork for this >.>

Hmmm... no more than we would get upset over Vassal, for example. Are you having the table outside or inside the game room? I was going to say that maybe I should provide you with some artwork setup as Starfire posters if you had walls in the gaming area...

All tables are inside a "game room", but that room is nothing more than a panoramic 360 degree high(ish) def photo. It's also incredibly easy to change. If there was a mechanic to set up some posters on the wall to add some level of themimg I'd go for it in a heartbeat. Perhaps a side-table of some kind with a Starfire poster or something. That's doable, but to be honest, even then that's almost stretching it. I can see a lot of people just removing it as a matter of course.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Next

Return to General