Blind spots

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Blind spots

Postby Todd_Kes on Mon 22 May 2017 19:33

Personally for the 60 degree blind spot, I'd draw a straight line between the attacking ship and the targeted ship. If the line passes through the hex side directly behind the targeted ship, the attacking ship is in the blind spot. If it does not, then the attacking ship is not in the blind spot.

The fun part is when the line goes through a hex corner between the two. Do we use Ad Astra's rule about rounding in favor of blowing stuff up, so it would count as being in the blind spot?

For 120 degrees, you have two hex spines, one at the 4 o'clock to the targeted ship, and one at the 8 o'clock. I am not sure about the hex spines, but between the two spines is definitely in the blind spot.

But it sounds like the OP has a special reason for asking. I wonder what OP's angle really is.
Todd_Kes
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Re: Blind spots

Postby Cralis on Tue 23 May 2017 10:00

Todd_Kes wrote:Personally for the 60 degree blind spot, I'd draw a straight line between the attacking ship and the targeted ship. If the line passes through the hex side directly behind the targeted ship, the attacking ship is in the blind spot. If it does not, then the attacking ship is not in the blind spot.

Because Starfire deals in whole hexes, it was decided a long time ago that it would be specified that the hexes are in the blindspot because otherwise they measure on the spine. It just eliminates arguments.

But that's how we do it with the miniatures.

The fun part is when the line goes through a hex corner between the two. Do we use Ad Astra's rule about rounding in favor of blowing stuff up, so it would count as being in the blind spot?

Nice reference But it would depend upon whether the drive counts the whole hex (then yes), such as the I drive, or the half hex (then no).

For 120 degrees, you have two hex spines, one at the 4 o'clock to the targeted ship, and one at the 8 o'clock. I am not sure about the hex spines, but between the two spines is definitely in the blind spot.

Still the same problem...

But it sounds like the OP has a special reason for asking. I wonder what OP's angle really is.

He is blind. Braille readers don't render the visual aides.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Previous

Return to General