How do you remember which ships turned?

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

How do you remember which ships turned?

Postby grondak on Wed 02 Aug 2017 20:45

In a single ship on ship battle, it's simple. You just count.

When you have 3+ ships, it's really hard. "How many movement points has it spent? Is the turn mode satisfied?"

I might get an abacus for each player. I'd use each row for a ship. When you spend a movement point, you move a counter. When you turn, you slide them all back.

Alternately, I could use pennies in tackle box compartments.

Other ideas?
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Re: How do you remember which ships turned?

Postby nukesnipe on Thu 03 Aug 2017 09:47

I jot down the hex number whenever a ship turns. Or, use a token of some sort.
Regards,

Scott Chisholm
nukesnipe
Captain
Captain

Postby Xveers on Thu 03 Aug 2017 13:36

grondak wrote:In a single ship on ship battle, it's simple. You just count.

When you have 3+ ships, it's really hard. "How many movement points has it spent? Is the turn mode satisfied?"

I might get an abacus for each player. I'd use each row for a ship. When you spend a movement point, you move a counter. When you turn, you slide them all back.

Alternately, I could use pennies in tackle box compartments.

Other ideas?

For myself, with the big battles I tend to move ships by datagroup and burn all their MP at once, which tends to cut down on the tracking (though it sacrifices plenty of tactical nuance by not doing pulsed movement). The old 4th edition box set had some Turn Marker chits that were presumably meant for this exact purpose. When it has mattered (or the battle was large enough for us to lose track) I've used a spare chit or coin to temporarily mark the last turn location.
Xveers
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Postby Cralis on Fri 04 Aug 2017 13:16

This one is not easy and everyone prefers their own style or solution. When doing all of your movement at once, I move and then mark on the sheet how many tH has moved from the last turn. But we are doing pulsed movement (with or without the pulsed movement chart), I mark ticks next to the ship on the control sheet to track MP moved since the last turn.

I tend not to use counters to mark turn points so the other players doesn't see it, and I tend to avoid stones or markers to indicate anything on the board because it's hard to separate which are affected while in stacks.... and because it helps the other player.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby grondak on Sun 06 Aug 2017 14:35

I wrote out a simple table, each row containing a counter ID, the numbers 0-3, and a spot for the ship design. The spaces with 0-3 were for a counter (we used the white ones turned upside down). We moved them back and forth like the abacus I suggested.

Worked okay, when we remembered to use it. It worked better than forgetting. :) and :( all at once.
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby drtetrode on Tue 15 Aug 2017 15:38

https://www.draw.io/?state=%7B%22ids%22 ... HdORU43Vms

Not sure if this will work, but, I created a ship control sheet to use with QSR and teaching my grandsons to play. I added, 'cells', to track location and status at end of each turn. With movable maps, and little ones, it is too easy to lose track of where that ship was.... :D

I think this is accessible by everyone. It is on Google Docs, using draw.io application. If someone would check and let me know, I would appreciate it.

Dr Tetrode
Save early, save often!
drtetrode
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby grondak on Tue 15 Aug 2017 17:23

Hi Dr Tetrode,

Yours is good for controlling one ship. When I return home from my trip, I'll upload the one I made. It's okay for controlling a fleet. It's not perfect. :)
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby drtetrode on Tue 15 Aug 2017 21:35

Thank you for confirming that you can get to it. And yes, that was the intent, for QSR, one ship, one sheet. Looking forward to see something on the fleet level.

Dr Tetrode
Save early, save often!
drtetrode
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby grondak on Sun 20 Aug 2017 16:32

Hi Dr Tetrode,
Here's the recently-revised fleet sheet. My friend suggested we add a "movement point tracker" and a "which ship has moved this MP" tracker.

I put upside down counters in the spaces to track the various data.

https://1drv.ms/x/s!AvXqJJCGZPgxryNU5jw7NFLr_nWs

Let me know if you can see this, please.

Thanks for the cool conversation!
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby drtetrode on Mon 21 Aug 2017 15:49

Yes, I see an Excel Spreadsheet, with one sheet.

Thanks for the link.

Dr Tetrode ;-)
Save early, save often!
drtetrode
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Return to General