Buckaroo's Miniatures

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Buckaroo's Miniatures

Postby Otterman on Thu 05 Oct 2017 12:30

Hey Buckaroo, it's interesting that you should bring up BSG and the Buck Rogers fighter (in your video).

Starfire 2, which introduced fighters, came out a year or so after Original BSG and BR, so the graphics guys obviously took inspiration from them. The Terran fighters and SFB A-10 were strongly reminiscent of the BR fighter.

I think the Rigelian fighter silhouette was used for the SFB F-14 as well. I might have those mixed up.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby dazrand on Thu 05 Oct 2017 15:51

Good video! Any chance we see one where you instruct us on how to paint properly, perhaps with that Terran BB?
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby coldsteel on Sun 08 Oct 2017 15:29

dazrand wrote:Good video! Any chance we see one where you instruct us on how to paint properly, perhaps with that Terran BB?

2 thin coats... </Duncan>
TFN: 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Sun 08 Oct 2017 22:40

coldsteel wrote:
dazrand wrote:Good video! Any chance we see one where you instruct us on how to paint properly, perhaps with that Terran BB?

Can I second that? I just learned that last week... one coat is not enough.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Buckaroo13 on Mon 09 Oct 2017 10:43

Well, I've already got the BB pretty much done but I might produce something in the future.
Painting tutorials are pretty tough to make compared to other content but I won't rule it out.
Buckaroo13
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Buckaroo13 on Mon 09 Oct 2017 10:45

Cralis wrote:
coldsteel wrote:

Can I second that? I just learned that last week... one coat is not enough.

If you use Citadel brand water you can get away with 1.5 coats
Buckaroo13
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby Cralis on Mon 09 Oct 2017 15:21

I'm using Army Paints I think... my issue was with FUD, it looks gray* with 1 coat but if you hold up to a light you can see through it. With two coats it blocks the transparency.

* I am using a primer first so I can get some good detail pics for the shapeways site. Then I will paint them... just haven't decided if I'm going to go with the traditional colors or do something unique.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Buckaroo13 on Mon 09 Oct 2017 15:23

Cralis wrote:I'm using Army Paints I think... my issue was with FUD, it looks grey with 1 coat but if you hold up to a light you can see through it. With two coats it blocks the transparency.

I basecoat with Tamiya fine primer (Grey). then work up the color with normal paints.
Buckaroo13
Lieutenant JG
Lieutenant JG

Postby coldsteel on Mon 09 Oct 2017 16:58

I use plain cheap-@$$ flat white or flat black spray paint from Wal-Mart or Lowe's. Then Citadel paints, starting to use Army Painter or Reaper paints now.
TFN: 2 BC, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
RPSA: 2 CV, 4 CA, 2 CL, 8 DD
civilian: 4 'FTx' (made FT out of 40K Imp Guard flamer tanks)
coldsteel
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Tue 10 Oct 2017 01:24

coldsteel wrote:I use plain cheap-@$$ flat white or flat black spray paint from Wal-Mart or Lowe's. Then Citadel paints, starting to use Army Painter or Reaper paints now.

I originally used a spray but I found it was waaaay to easy to either miss the inside of cracks and corners or, when attempting to reach those hard-to-reach parts, too easy to get too much paint on the not-so-hard-to-reach parts around the hard-to-reach-part. I ended up using a brush to remove or spread around the paint I just sprayed on. So I just switched to a paint-on primer so I could control the paint better since I was doing it anyway.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

PreviousNext

Return to General