Movement tactics

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Movement tactics

Postby grondak on Thu 28 Sep 2017 08:00

I've been thinking. Let's use this thread to hold on to 2D movement tactics.

I mentioned the Thach Weave https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thach_Weave
Xveeers, in another thread, mentioned the Lufberry Circle: viewtopic.php?f=61&t=3281&start=20#p38174

I figure there are many others.

First, let's talk about how to hold off range. I think this is useful for missile boats. Expending movement points in place are a fine start, but coping with hard-charging CT/ES hulls is difficult.

Let's help each other out!
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Re: Movement tactics

Postby Cralis on Thu 28 Sep 2017 14:18

Run away!
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby grondak on Thu 28 Sep 2017 20:23

ha ha ha, running away gives them your blind spot. There's nothing scarier than not being able to shoot back.

I'm thinking run, save a turn for your last move, and turn as late as possible, presenting a flank/denying a blindspot.
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby Cralis on Thu 28 Sep 2017 20:36

grondak wrote:ha ha ha, running away gives them your blind spot. There's nothing scarier than not being able to shoot back.

I'm thinking run, save a turn for your last move, and turn as late as possible, presenting a flank/denying a blindspot.

Exactly. It's called "tacking" back and forth and (not to be confused with "tacking" in a sailing ship, although the maneuver looks the same). The idea is that you can't move directly away from the enemy because you'll present a blind spot, so instead you weave back and forth heading generally away from the enemy so you don't have a blindspot pointed at them at the end of the turn.

Another maneuver you can use against an opponent that doesn't have as good of a turn mode or is much slower than you is to circle your opponent. If you are much faster, this is a really good way to control the range, especially if you really don't want to go anywhere while maneuvering.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby procyon on Fri 29 Sep 2017 00:53

Tacking away is half the battle.

The next part is rotating fire. You fire on a ship until they announce the DF fluctuates (engine hit) and then you shift fire to the next target.

Losing that first engine means a ship can no longer close the range. If you can cripple all the targets, then they can no longer close and overwhelm the missile ships.

If a few do close, then split forces. One lags back to try and cripple others up while the rest run. You will likely lose it, but if it succeeds in drawing off and crippling the smaller ships, then the others will still be able to dictate range and prevail.
...and I will show you fear in a handful of dust....

Cralis wrote:I would point out that the "what was" which is different from "here and now" can easily change in the "future then."
procyon
Sky Marshal
Sky Marshal

Postby grondak on Sat 30 Sep 2017 13:40

This is an interesting change from my "take out the big ship first" rule, and helps color that rule a little better (Should reduce the big ship to ineffective status, not completely destroyed).

Now it's "Slow down the faster ships first" to prevent them catching up.
grondak
Iguana Sunlord
Iguana Sunlord

Postby Cralis on Sat 30 Sep 2017 15:39

grondak wrote:This is an interesting change from my "take out the big ship first" rule, and helps color that rule a little better (Should reduce the big ship to ineffective status, not completely destroyed).

Now it's "Slow down the faster ships first" to prevent them catching up.

I played a game against Marvin Lamb (the owner of Starfire) way back in the '90s at Gencon, and I won the game basically because I focused on destroying his beam-armed corvettes before they got into close range, while he focused on my missile cruisers and let my corvettes get too close.

Personally, since I was pretty new at the game, I think he did that on purpose (he's incredibly smart and good at games... I saw that first-hand later at Gencon). But the power of small beam-armed ships getting in close has always stuck with me.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Moonsword on Mon 02 Oct 2017 19:04

It's not just firepower, either - small beam-armed ships can force an opponent to react to them, potentially letting the LRW ships maneuver more freely for advantage in the process.
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

Return to General