Emergency Assistance Needed!

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Emergency Assistance Needed!

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Thu 23 Nov 2017 06:48

Hi everyone, no, this isn't a fan/member in distress thread, but rather a call for help in getting me up to speed with being able to run NPR fleets in the current campaign.

I have no recent experience with Vassal, and NO experience with setting things up on Vassal (So all I can do is just play the scenarios that come with it, at least as far as I know), and no experience with Solar Starfire. Whitecold & I have been trying to get a few practice sessions in, but so far that hasn't happened, and I don't want to let folks down with a cakewalk this holiday season, if I am not "up to speed" when the time comes, so here is my idea:

Someone, I don't care who, contact my via PM and setup some playtesting fun between now and the new year! :mrgreen:

I would really prefer to get 10+ battles in, to ensure that I have at least a clue what to do with what I am assigned to play, and make darn sure that I don't have any issues between my computer and the Vassal program. I don't think that it would be fair to ask all this of Whitecold, nor any one single member, but I have got to get some playtesting/practice sessions in ASAP.

Help me!!!!!!!!!! :mrgreen: :lol: :o :D
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Emergency Assistance Needed!

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Thu 23 Nov 2017 19:35

10 views, but no takers? Not surprised, as folks do have other things on their minds today after all, but no commentcs, either? :o :mrgreen:
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 23 Nov 2017 19:49

I read your post, but I wasn't sure yet what I could say that would be helpful. I have been an observer watching a Starfire game using an unreleased beta module. Other than that, I have no experience with Vassal.

You, Whitecold, and your group are actually ahead of me when it comes to playing battles over the Internet. I was hoping that eventually y'all could give me pointers...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Fri 24 Nov 2017 04:32

Oh no, lol. I only ever got to play one time, and that was like 5-10 years ago? It was just the original first contact scenario.

You know, maybe this is the first thing that we really need to focus upon, rather than any new "easy" rules, being able to earn something like a merit badge or something, that says that the bearer is Vassal Qualified.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Fri 24 Nov 2017 04:55

Pick a time this weekend, and we'll see if we cannot get this at least started on...

One thing I have noticed, my starfire modules (the basic one and the retro one) both disappeared off of my laptop, and I had to re-dl them just now.

We can test out the first contact scenario, playing either side, and then the other missions, but I have no clue how to do anything but select a pre built mission. This means I cannot setup new scenarios, enter ships of other than original designs, or any of that stuff.

I think that making it possible for everyone that wants to take the time to learn Vassal a top priority would be a very smart move, as playing with the 30 year old maps and counters, in person, is something I have only had a chance to do 2 times this year, and those were very basic battles (although, to be sure, they were 4 way battles, lol.)
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Fri 24 Nov 2017 04:59

Easiest rules to learn were after all, the original 1970's rules, and they are already in vassal and ready to be played. Maybe we need to have a series of badges (Or something), that lets folk know what level of "Vassal skills" a fellow member has gained, so that passing these on might be made easier. The more folks that learn, the better and faster getting everyone else up and running is going to be.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Vandervecken on Sat 25 Nov 2017 18:33

Wish I had time to Get closer to my first merit badge. I wish you a Happy Holiday Season, and I hope someone has the time to help ya.
I weary of the chasssse. Wait for me. I will be mercccciful and quick.
Vandervecken
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Sat 25 Nov 2017 22:26

Thanks Van. I too wish you the best from this past holiday, and for the rest of this years upcoming ones, as well.

So far, no one has come forward (which is likely also a function of this time of year, after all) and offered to impart their vassal experience. On the plus side, I am looking to make the move over to windows 10 soon, and this will, until that becomes "No longer Supported" as well, allow me a new machine, that hopefully will allow me to run all the latest and greatest of software, and get me to the point where I can have two computers that can play vassal, and thus playtest things solo if need be.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Mon 27 Nov 2017 06:04

Well turkey day weekend is past us, and though I was hoping that some kind soul might answer my thread and set up a training time, as yet there has been no help forth coming. :(
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby aramis on Mon 27 Nov 2017 23:44

VoidStalker_WoE wrote:Well turkey day weekend is past us, and though I was hoping that some kind soul might answer my thread and set up a training time, as yet there has been no help forth coming. :(

The Rules I know would not help you. Wrong edition...
aramis
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Next

Return to General