Emergency Assistance Needed!

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Emergency Assistance Needed!

Postby eoghantodd on Mon 27 Nov 2017 23:50

I was out of town and busy for the holiday, but back on regular schedule. I need to download the stuff and get it set up but am available during the day this week!
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby Cralis on Tue 28 Nov 2017 00:24

I haven't yet actually used Vassal to play a game. I see your private message Voidstalker, my apologies for not responding immediately. First, which of the Vassal modules are you using? And second, I need to figure out how to use it first...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Whitecold on Tue 28 Nov 2017 00:56

Cralis wrote:I haven't yet actually used Vassal to play a game. I see your private message Voidstalker, my apologies for not responding immediately. First, which of the Vassal modules are you using? And second, I need to figure out how to use it first...

The Vassal module found on the vassal wiki http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Starfire is very simple in what it actually can do. There is a lobby, where you should both show up when you are both logged in, so you can find each other.
Vassal basically provides the board, and game pieces. It does not enforce any rules. Most of it is just drag and drop, though it can be a bit tricky selecting the right amount of tokens from a stack.
The chat console allows talking to each other, and allows for rolling dice.
Whitecold
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Tue 28 Nov 2017 04:16

eoghantodd wrote:I was out of town and busy for the holiday, but back on regular schedule. I need to download the stuff and get it set up but am available during the day this week!
Awesome!

Cralis wrote:I haven't yet actually used Vassal to play a game. I see your private message Voidstalker, my apologies for not responding immediately. First, which of the Vassal modules are you using? And second, I need to figure out how to use it first...
Equally Awesome!

Do the SDS forums allow for images to be posted here?
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Tue 28 Nov 2017 04:46

Here is there URL:

once you click on that, you should arrive here:

Then just dl the Vassal program. Next:

Will take you to all the modules, once in that tab:

Then select:

Then just scroll down to near the bottom of the right column:

And finally:

This gets you both the retro version and the newer of the two. These are the steps too get the vassal program and both the publicly available starfire modules for it on your machine. Once folks tell me they have that, I'll make a thread, titled something like "Learning Vassal version 1.00", and do a (very poor job) of using pictures to show what to do to get a basic understanding of what is where.

And after that;

We will have exhausted my limited knowledge.... :mrgreen: :lol: :oops:
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Tue 28 Nov 2017 07:00

Well, I work nights, and live in the Eastern time zone, and have to work tonight, so off to bed I go....
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby eoghantodd on Wed 29 Nov 2017 16:55

I'll be downloading this today and posting tomorrow with schedule.
eoghantodd
Lieutenant Commander
Lieutenant Commander

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Wed 29 Nov 2017 23:03

Excellent! I just tried my hand at building some alternate scenarios. Not to sure that I really know what I'm doing, but if we can play the first 2-4 missions on vassal, then we can come back and post our findings here. It would be a very good thing if we could get 10+ folks up and running using the Vassal program to play starfire over the internet. It doesn't look like a medium sized battle would be all that fun, but with experience maybe it could be done.

I enjoyed the naming of ships, but I had to go back and look at my copy of SF 1 to remember what the different hulls had for spaces.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 30 Nov 2017 02:11

VoidStalker_WoE wrote:Well, I work nights, and live in the Eastern time zone, and have to work tonight, so off to bed I go....

Yikes. I work day in the Pacific Time Zone, so casual games are out. I still need to find time to do this, I just haven't yet...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Thu 30 Nov 2017 08:38

Cralis wrote:
VoidStalker_WoE wrote:Well, I work nights, and live in the Eastern time zone, and have to work tonight, so off to bed I go....

Yikes. I work day in the Pacific Time Zone, so casual games are out. I still need to find time to do this, I just haven't yet...
I just finished a classified battle, with a fellow on the west coast. In fact, we are probably going to do another one tonight.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to General