Emergency Assistance Needed!

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Emergency Assistance Needed!

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Thu 30 Nov 2017 08:52

Ok, so a test battle has been fought, and some problems identified.

One that isn't related to either Vassal or the Starfire module, is my dang yahoo.com email account acting up. Because of all the talking ads they are running now, I need everyone to contact me at my new email addy. I'll see if I can go into my account, and change it directly...
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 30 Nov 2017 10:17

Talking ads? Animated video or just an audio component? Either way, I couldn't stand that... and they wonder why everyone uses ad blockers and host files.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Thu 30 Nov 2017 10:58

We need to talk about what we can add to the Vassal SSF module! The guy I played with found out how to edit things, so we really need to know what is allowable and what is not.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 30 Nov 2017 12:34

VoidStalker_WoE wrote:We need to talk about what we can add to the Vassal SSF module! The guy I played with found out how to edit things, so we really need to know what is allowable and what is not.

The guys I watched play on Vassal had asked me to observe because they are building an improved module. Their work is based on 2nd edition, but I don't think they have released it yet.

I could see if they'd let us test it. ;)

It got me thinking that it would be cool to make a module for the QSR using all the counter art we have available.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Thu 30 Nov 2017 12:37

Cralis wrote:
VoidStalker_WoE wrote:We need to talk about what we can add to the Vassal SSF module! The guy I played with found out how to edit things, so we really need to know what is allowable and what is not.

The guys I watched play on Vassal had asked me to observe because they are building an improved module. Their work is based on 2nd edition, but I don't think they have released it yet.

I could see if they'd let us test it. ;)

It got me thinking that it would be cool to make a module for the QSR using all the counter art we have available.
Well, the fellow I was playing with this morning, found out how to modify stuff, so...

Let me know when you have 1 hour...
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 30 Nov 2017 13:24

My understanding is that changing graphics and setting the configurations is not hard. It's doing things that require logic that's a little tricky. But the one I saw shows shields up and down, streaming atmosphere, EM modifiers, and they tweaked the turn sequence to add sub-phasesfor things like declaring EM.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Thu 30 Nov 2017 13:44

I was thinking more along the lines of the tables within the module. Specifically, can we up date the tables with SSF content?
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 30 Nov 2017 16:44

VoidStalker_WoE wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of the tables within the module. Specifically, can we up date the tables with SSF content?

Do you mean combat tables? I didn't see any of those in the module I observed, but I didn't really know how to look either... if you have the rules, you don't need the tables in the Vassal module, do you?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby VoidStalker_WoE on Thu 30 Nov 2017 16:59

Cralis wrote:
VoidStalker_WoE wrote:I was thinking more along the lines of the tables within the module. Specifically, can we up date the tables with SSF content?

Do you mean combat tables? I didn't see any of those in the module I observed, but I didn't really know how to look either... if you have the rules, you don't need the tables in the Vassal module, do you?
The starfire module already has them, but I guess that you don't want a SSF module then? Ok.
VoidStalker_WoE
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Postby Cralis on Thu 30 Nov 2017 19:43

VoidStalker_WoE wrote:The starfire module already has them, but I guess that you don't want a SSF module then? Ok.

That is quite literally not what I said. Especially considering that I had just posted that I thought it would be cool to make such a module specifically for the QSR.

And you didn't actually answer my question. I'm guessing that because you segway'd straight to your comment, that the module does have the combat tables in it. Historically the game tables are one thing that Marvin has objected to allowing free distribution.

That said, my entire point was that you shouldn't need them in Vassal. If you have the rules in front of you while you are playing then you don't have to clutter the vassal window with them. That's one of the nice things about electronic distribution.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

PreviousNext

Return to General