ORDERS

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: ORDERS

Postby mcb1968 on Tue 08 Oct 2013 20:04

With the hiatus on ordering "physical products", are the CD's still available for purchase?
mcb1968
Commander
Commander

Postby Cralis on Tue 08 Oct 2013 21:01

mcb1968 wrote:With the hiatus on ordering "physical products", are the CD's still available for purchase?

Yes sir. Only the three products mentioned are unavailable. They are listed as such on the ordering page.

EDIT: Galactic Starfire Box Set, 4-piece Maps, and the T-Shirts.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

unhappy with no digital download of the CD

Postby nethole on Wed 10 Sep 2014 18:02

I had ordered ultimate, so I could peruse through everything. Since it looked like it did have 'everything', I assumed I'd get a digital link to items ,but no.

I recieved an automated email. But no links.

Honestly, I was looking for some numbers on the past weekend to help me write up some code for automatic system generation and linking to graphviz for some cool looking maps.

But the muse is rapidly fading now.
nethole
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Re: unhappy with no digital download of the CD

Postby Cralis on Wed 10 Sep 2014 23:42

nethole wrote:I had ordered ultimate, so I could peruse through everything. Since it looked like it did have 'everything', I assumed I'd get a digital link to items ,but no.

I recieved an automated email. But no links.

Ultimate CD is a CD with hundreds of megabytes of information. We'd be fronting the cost for many gigabytes of bandwidth every month if we had a simultaneous download of the same information. We figured you'd rather wait a few days than pay more for the same product to cover that cost.

Honestly, I was looking for some numbers on the past weekend to help me write up some code for automatic system generation and linking to graphviz for some cool looking maps.

But the muse is rapidly fading now.

For which version? There are several free sysgen applications in the downloads section...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Moonsword on Thu 11 Sep 2014 10:28

The one for Solar (elminster's?) spits out a very readable dump that's also very regularly formatted, so some regex creativity can probably parse it without too many headaches.
Moonsword
Commander
Commander

Postby Elminster on Fri 12 Sep 2014 02:25

It can also do a GraphML export. ;)
In memory of Gary Gygax
In memory of Leonard Nimoy
In memory of Christopher Lee

In memory of Albert Einstein
E = MC^2 + 1d10
Elminster
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Postby rbharmon on Sun 29 Mar 2015 15:40

I thought I would write and let you know how I appreciate the promptness in which I received my order of the Starfire Legacy CD.

I was surprised to find a lot of thing there I didn't expect. I also found that are 5 things missing: The Gorm/Khante war, First Contact, Akelda Dawn, Starfire III, and Sky Marshall1. I can understand why Starefire III and Sky Marshall 1 are not there as Sky Marshall 1 is now apart of Sky Marshall 2 and with new Empires and Imperial Starfire, Starfire III pales to insignificance. Yet for the sake of completeness you would have thought they would be there. The Gorm/Khanate war not being there especially since you have New Empires is a mystery to me as New Empires is a part of Imperial Starfire like the Gorm/Kanate war is part of Stars at War, so if you have one you should have the other.

Akelda Dawn and First Contact are as much a part of the 3rd edition, Classic, or Legacy Starfire or whatever you call it, that I am very surprised that they are not there and was looking forward to reading Akelda Dawn. Yes I know the rules for the Akelda Dawn or J'rill tech is in Sky Marshall 2 but not the scenarios or the historic or racial background history. I know it has been said that they are not apart of the 3rd edition's background or racial history, but so what they are a part of the 3rd edition games history as they were made for the 3rd edition rules.

It seems to me that for the sake of completeness these missing things should be there. I do appreciate what you do have on the Legacy CD very much and thank you very much for the hard work you have put into all of your Starfire products and hope you continue to keep producing quality Starfire products.
rbharmon
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby whartung on Sun 29 Mar 2015 21:36

SF III and GKW are both going to be part of the CD in due time, they're just not there yet.

There was a little discussion on this recently on another thread on the forum. Unfortunately, if may be a few months before those two are added to the CD.

I haven't heard anything about Akelda Dawn or SM 1.
whartung
Lieutenant SG
Lieutenant SG

Postby Cralis on Sun 29 Mar 2015 23:14

rbharmon wrote:I thought I would write and let you know how I appreciate the promptness in which I received my order of the Starfire Legacy CD.

It's still a learning curve, but thank you :)

I was surprised to find a lot of thing there I didn't expect. I also found that are 5 things missing: The Gorm/Khante war, First Contact, Akelda Dawn, Starfire III, and Sky Marshall1. I can understand why Starefire III and Sky Marshall 1 are not there as Sky Marshall 1 is now apart of Sky Marshall 2 and with new Empires and Imperial Starfire, Starfire III pales to insignificance. Yet for the sake of completeness you would have thought they would be there. The Gorm/Khanate war not being there especially since you have New Empires is a mystery to me as New Empires is a part of Imperial Starfire like the Gorm/Kanate war is part of Stars at W1ar, so if you have one you should have the other.

Not every product has been converted. We only started converting 1st and 2nd edition last year. For the previous 15 years or so, Marvin did not allow for these older products to be reproduced. He only gave us permission near the end of last year, and our first re-published 3rd edition documents were released last November (just 5 months ago). We are adding them as fast as we can redo the documents.

Keep in mind that there are literally NO electronic versions of products prior to 3rd edition beyond scans and the documents we are building now.

Akelda Dawn and First Contact are as much a part of the 3rd edition, Classic, or Legacy Starfire or whatever you call it, that I am very surprised that they are not there and was looking forward to reading Akelda Dawn. Yes I know the rules for the Akelda Dawn or J'rill tech is in Sky Marshall 2 but not the scenarios or the historic or racial background history. I know it has been said that they are not apart of the 3rd edition's background or racial history, but so what they are a part of the 3rd edition games history as they were made for the 3rd edition rules.

Alkeda Dawn and First Contact are not part of the canon Weber/White history written for Classic Starfire. You won't find it in any of their books, nor will they acknowledge them. The only reason the technology exists in the 3rd Edition Revised book is because Marvin put them there when he rebuilt that book in the late '90s.

Unfortunately, TFG did not have an electronic version of Alkeda Dawn and First Contact to give to Marvin when he purchased Starfire from them. We will have to rebuild those documents as well.

It seems to me that for the sake of completeness these missing things should be there. I do appreciate what you do have on the Legacy CD very much and thank you very much for the hard work you have put into all of your Starfire products and hope you continue to keep producing quality Starfire products.

Have no worries! We are working on it. We are finishing up 1st edition now, and then we'll finish up 2nd, and finally the missing books from 3rd. It will happen, it just takes time.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby rbharmon on Mon 30 Mar 2015 16:58

Now that I have paid for the Legacy CD will I be able to get the additional stuff when they come out or will I have to get a new CD???

I do appreciate the responses given to my post and will be looking forward to the future with you.
rbharmon
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

PreviousNext

Return to General