ORDERS

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: ORDERS

Postby Cralis on Mon 30 Mar 2015 18:16

rbharmon wrote:Now that I have paid for the Legacy CD will I be able to get the additional stuff when they come out or will I have to get a new CD???

The Legacy CD originally contained only the Classic Starfire (3rd edition) materials that we had in electronic format. We are adding the additional, earlier materials as a free bonus without raising the price of the CD. So you'll need to buy the CD again to update it; however, if you wait until we finish adding all the currently un-added materials, the CD cost will be less than the individual cost of buying each separately.

Or you can do both if you want the electonic documents immediately but later get a CD with everything. I promise, I won't stop you ;)

I do appreciate the responses given to my post and will be looking forward to the future with you.

Thank you! We try to help out as much as possible...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby bislab on Mon 06 Apr 2015 20:33

Hey gang, just ran across your site and am very interested in picking up your catalog. I'd just like some clarification, please. If I order the 'Ultimate Starfire Package' is that essentially everything you have to offer, including the very early Starfire I and II? I see that this would also be sent as a CD, not a download, so the next question is: If you do an update/edit/error fix of a prior PDF, is there a download area where an Ultimate Package purchaser could get the newer version of the document? And lastly, Is the CD protected? I don't mind the package being on CD, but CD's DO have a storage life, I'd like to be able to backup the data. Thanks in advance and looking forward to these games!
bislab
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Cralis on Mon 06 Apr 2015 21:56

bislab wrote:Hey gang, just ran across your site and am very interested in picking up your catalog. I'd just like some clarification, please. If I order the 'Ultimate Starfire Package' is that essentially everything you have to offer, including the very early Starfire I and II?

The Ultimate Starfire Package has everything from 3rd edition through 6th edition. The earlier editions are bonuses on the Legacy CD.

The 1st and 2nd edition are being done as a bonus for players who want the Legacy materials (3rd edition). In fact, we may eventually further split the Legacy and Ultimate CDs to where one is 1st-3rd and the other is 4th-current versions.

I see that this would also be sent as a CD, not a download, so the next question is: If you do an update/edit/error fix of a prior PDF, is there a download area where an Ultimate Package purchaser could get the newer version of the document? And lastly, Is the CD protected? I don't mind the package being on CD, but CD's DO have a storage life, I'd like to be able to backup the data. Thanks in advance and looking forward to these games!

Do you get updates? Yes, for those products that have free updates (which currently is Solar Starfire, the only version of the game actively worked on). At some point there will be a cost to upgrade once we finish re-writing the last couple pieces of the game that need it, and we move to adding completely new material.

Is the CD protected? No. You can make backups.

Is it fun? WELL YEAH! I can't believe you aske.... oh wait, never mind. Maybe I'm just too excited :lol:

But in all seriousness, if you have any other questions please ask! The earliest versions of the game are simpler, but the later versions are quite comprehensive and players have done some marvelous campaigns. If you hop over to our fiction section, you can read a bunch of the stories players have written about their campaign games.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby bislab on Tue 07 Apr 2015 21:10

Ok, so If I get the Ultimate CD and want starfire 1 and 2, i'll have to pick them up individually then. Thanks for the quick answer, i'll be placing an order soon!
bislab
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby rbharmon on Thu 09 Apr 2015 19:37

Cralis wrote:
rbharmon wrote:Now that I have paid for the Legacy CD will I be able to get the additional stuff when they come out or will I have to get a new CD???

The Legacy CD originally contained only the Classic Starfire (3rd edition) materials that we had in electronic format. We are adding the additional, earlier materials as a free bonus without raising the price of the CD. So you'll need to buy the CD again to update it; however, if you wait until we finish adding all the currently un-added materials, the CD cost will be less than the individual cost of buying each separately.

Or you can do both if you want the electonic documents immediately but later get a CD with everything. I promise, I won't stop you ;)

I do appreciate the responses given to my post and will be looking forward to the future with you.

Thank you! We try to help out as much as possible...

That doesn't seem fair to me as I have already paid for all of the legacy Starfire products only to find that a few items were missing and now you want me to pay more get the missing items either on another CD or separately. If I decide to get the later editions (4-6) I would probably get the other CD that has everything on it. Obviously that won't be for awhile until you have everything available.

I was wondering if had any plans to make Exodus & Extremis into a product??? Of course you have to figure out what to name the product, maybe. ;) :lol:
rbharmon
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Cralis on Fri 10 Apr 2015 00:27

rbharmon wrote:That doesn't seem fair to me as I have already paid for all of the legacy Starfire products only to find that a few items were missing and now you want me to pay more get the missing items either on another CD or separately. If I decide to get the later editions (4-6) I would probably get the other CD that has everything on it. Obviously that won't be for awhile until you have everything available.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. Products change all the time... in fact, I just recently saw that on Steam the Civilization 5 package included, for only a little more than the price that I bought Civilization 5 for the first time around, all of the current add-ons and packages plus some additional new content that didn't exist before.

We included these as a _bonus_ to the Legacy CD, as a gift basically, since Marvin had not made any plans to re-release these products again. But if it helps, after we get all of the 1st-3rd products re-released you won't have to worry about more coming since we aren't making any new ones...

I was wondering if had any plans to make Exodus & Extremis into a product??? Of course you have to figure out what to name the product, maybe. ;) :lol:

Actually, I have made inquiries into doing that, with little luck so far. I should probably ask again because the last time they were very, very busy with some other project. That was back when Cosmic Starfire was still a project and we were going to try and do it for that version...

I think the bigger problem is that it would be yet another project on top of everything else we've already got in the hopper.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby rbharmon on Sat 11 Apr 2015 22:00

Cralis wrote:
rbharmon wrote:That doesn't seem fair to me as I have already paid for all of the legacy Starfire products only to find that a few items were missing and now you want me to pay more get the missing items either on another CD or separately. If I decide to get the later editions (4-6) I would probably get the other CD that has everything on it. Obviously that won't be for awhile until you have everything available.

I'm sorry that you feel that way. Products change all the time... in fact, I just recently saw that on Steam the Civilization 5 package included, for only a little more than the price that I bought Civilization 5 for the first time around, all of the current add-ons and packages plus some additional new content that didn't exist before.

We included these as a _bonus_ to the Legacy CD, as a gift basically, since Marvin had not made any plans to re-release these products again. But if it helps, after we get all of the 1st-3rd products re-released you won't have to worry about more coming since we aren't making any new ones...

Actually, I have made inquiries into doing that, with little luck so far. I should probably ask again because the last time they were very, very busy with some other project. That was back when Cosmic Starfire was still a project and we were going to try and do it for that version...

I think the bigger problem is that it would be yet another project on top of everything else we've already got in the hopper.

What was done for Civilizations V is fine for those who haven't already bought the game, but for those who already have the game they can get the add-ons and new contents though different means without paying for another copy of something they already have.

For those already published, your are right, but for new products like the consolidated rule book and Cosmic Starfire which is a 3rd edition product or at least a rewrite of the 3rd edition their will be new products. Which I am looking forward to very much.

I wish you luck with the Exodus & Extremis project as I can understand the difficulty with it. I do hope it does come for Cosmic Starfire as it would be very interesting to see how the tech in the book gets interpreted into the 3rd rules.
rbharmon
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Cralis on Sun 12 Apr 2015 01:27

rbharmon wrote:What was done for Civilizations V is fine for those who haven't already bought the game, but for those who already have the game they can get the add-ons and new contents though different means without paying for another copy of something they already have.

Sadly, that's not entirely true for Steam users. But I'm not trying to start a debate here. Ultimately, I don't make the rules. Marvin does.

For those already published, your are right, but for new products like the consolidated rule book and Cosmic Starfire which is a 3rd edition product or at least a rewrite of the 3rd edition their will be new products. Which I am looking forward to very much.

I wish you luck with the Exodus & Extremis project as I can understand the difficulty with it. I do hope it does come for Cosmic Starfire as it would be very interesting to see how the tech in the book gets interpreted into the 3rd rules.

At the moment, Fred has been offline for quite some time due to personal stuff in real life. We too are hoping that he'll be able to return soon and continue. There are a lot of people who had great hopes for Cosmic and Fred's ideas.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby rbharmon on Sat 18 Apr 2015 19:09

Cralis wrote:
rbharmon wrote:What was done for Civilizations V is fine for those who haven't already bought the game, but for those who already have the game they can get the add-ons and new contents though different means without paying for another copy of something they already have.

Sadly, that's not entirely true for Steam users. But I'm not trying to start a debate here. Ultimately, I don't make the rules. Marvin does.

At the moment, Fred has been offline for quite some time due to personal stuff in real life. We too are hoping that he'll be able to return soon and continue. There are a lot of people who had great hopes for Cosmic and Fred's ideas.

As do I.

To a different issue:

Problems with the Shipyard software included on the CD.

The software program does not work as all I get is the following message: runtime error 2004.
I have windows 7 on a i7 machine with 8gb of ram.
Any ideas as to what is wrong??
rbharmon
Shuttle Pilot
Shuttle Pilot

Postby Cralis on Sun 19 Apr 2015 01:44

rbharmon wrote:Problems with the Shipyard software included on the CD.

The software program does not work as all I get is the following message: runtime error 2004.
I have windows 7 on a i7 machine with 8gb of ram.
Any ideas as to what is wrong??

Age. If I remember correctly, Marvin's Shipyard application was written in the '90s for Win98. Visual Basic 6 I think.

That's why the ordering page and the readme file both have something like this:

NOTE: Many Win7 users are having trouble with Shipyard due to the age of the application and may need to use VirtualPC or VirtualBox. Be sure to follow the post-purchase instructions. This produce may be revised in the future for ULTRA and later versions, but is provided for players who know they can still use it.

The ONLY reason we still have it available is because someone with old versions of windows keeps asking for it.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

PreviousNext

Return to General