Miniatures

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Miniatures

Postby Otterman on Tue 01 Feb 2011 14:26

I've recently completed a TFN BC design, bringing me closer to modelling some of the more iconic ISW 1/2/3 ships based on Jackie Southerlands' drawings.

The 3D model is done with Moment of Inspiriation, or 'MoI' (http://www.moi3d.com), then sent to a print house for fabrication. I use PrintAPart. Then I make silicon rubber molds and fill them with liquid resin, which in turn hardens into plastic. Ta da! Spaceship toys.

You can see renders here:
http://s693.photobucket.com/albums/vv29 ... %20models/

I haven't decided what ship to make next - another Kess battlerider, Cralis' avatar, a Vestrii BC, maybe a TFN BB, so many choices!

Ships in production
TFN SD
TFN DD
Vestrii SC
Kess BR version 1
Kess squad carrier

Prototype printed, not molded
TFN CL
TFN CA
Kess BR version 2

Prototype not printed
TFN BC

Otterman
Captain
Captain

Re: Miniatures

Postby Cralis on Tue 01 Feb 2011 15:23

WOW! You finally got the ships all scaled together and they look great!!!

Although I have to admit that my vote is a bit selfish, I really really like the ship design from the art on my avatar :)

How has everything been going for you? I've been looking at your models every so often and watching some of the other ship designs... ironically I found out about several games you've made miniatures for that I haven't played before.

How have you been doing? Its been a while...

PS. Maybe not for this, but I think you might be interested in an article we posted in our off-topic area... viewtopic.php?f=6&t=789

Apparently someone figured out how to do the 3D printing with titanium. Maybe someday soon you can use that to do metal miniatures :)
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Otterman on Tue 01 Feb 2011 17:38

Fine thanks, never enough time to do all that is wanted. An artist's horizons are always retreating, although in this case, an engineer's horizons are retreating.

Yeah, I noticed that. I think the output is a little crunchy for my purposes, but it certainly is appealing from the prospective of not having to go through an investment casting stage.

What is that ship supposed to be, anyway? It was published in Imperial Starfire, so the context is somewhat mysterious. A BB or larger is my impression. The silhouette could imply an SD.

In fact, this leads me to something I wish to explore - different ways of making 3D objects that resemble the old skool Starfire silhouettes, but are still distinct.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby dazrand on Tue 01 Feb 2011 19:53

Wow indeed! Amazing work! I like the Primary Beam class, very nice lines.

I would say please don't forget the lowly freighters and corvettes, though I don't recall any images of them in the rules.
dazrand
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Cralis on Tue 01 Feb 2011 21:03

Based on the CLASSIC STARFIRE counters, I would have to say that this looks like the old SD counter silhouette. In fact I pulled out both the old-old counters and the new-old counters (haha) and they both look like the avatar image, but without the little circular modules in the mid-section.

I pulled out the monitor counters and the fore section is shaped a little different, and the aft section is much different.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Otterman on Wed 02 Feb 2011 07:47

Do you consider it belonging to any particular race (KON, OADC)?
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Otterman on Wed 02 Feb 2011 07:53

dazrand wrote:Wow indeed! Amazing work! I like the Primary Beam class, very nice lines.

I would say please don't forget the lowly freighters and corvettes, though I don't recall any images of them in the rules.

Thanks! The primary beam class is actually a close cousin to the Vaygr lance fighter from Homeworld 2, so their designers deserve the praise.

You can see a corvette picture here:
http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv29 ... p065-1.jpg

And freighters here:
http://i693.photobucket.com/albums/vv29 ... firep8.jpg
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Wed 02 Feb 2011 10:03

Heh beat me to it, yeah there are CT, FG, DD, FT, and a myriad of other ship sizes in the old art work.

As for the avatar design's affiliation... I am actually not sure. KON or TFN most likely. Both counter sets use the same design. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say TFN...I think most of the artwork was of TFN ships.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Otterman on Wed 02 Feb 2011 14:26

These proportions seem right to you?

Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Wed 02 Feb 2011 17:17

Except for the engines, it looks about right. Here, this is an extract of the original image showing two angles of the same design, and you can see a little more on the proportions on the other ship:

ISF page 45 extract
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Next

Return to General