Miniatures

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Miniatures

Postby Otterman on Wed 09 Feb 2011 13:10

It's nowhere near done. The rear engine panels are just placeholders until I pay attention to that part of the ship.

Volume-wise, they're the same at 16 cc.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Starfire on Wed 09 Feb 2011 13:13

I like the concept.

I wonder what a tear drop shape would look like with the fat part being the bow and engines attached to the thin part.
Nerf rock, paper is fine. signed:Scissors.
Starfire
Marvin Lamb
Marvin Lamb

Postby Cralis on Wed 09 Feb 2011 16:03

Otterman wrote:It's nowhere near done. The rear engine panels are just placeholders until I pay attention to that part of the ship.

Ahh makes sense. In other words, I need to get off my butt and learn 3D modeling someday so I don't ask stupid questions :)

Volume-wise, they're the same at 16 cc.

Wow. It actually looks smaller volume-wise than the Crusade-Era SD because of the big sphere in the front. Heh, in the original image of the SAW-Era SD, did you notice that the circular sections in the middle appear to be chock full of missile launchers? The middle SD is shooting missiles that visually appear above the smaller (farther) SD in the artwork, and the angle suggests they came from the slit in that circular section of the bigger (closer) SD.

I just noticed that the you can see a little bit of the underside of the exploded SD. Do you have the original picture or should I put up a view of the exploded SD for you to see the underside?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Otterman on Thu 10 Feb 2011 08:11

I have the artwork, but thanks for the offer.

And speaking of artwork, I wish I could track down JS to commission some new drawings.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Otterman on Thu 10 Feb 2011 08:13

Idle musings: almost all of the JS Starfire drawings use panels lines and what I call 'internalized gubbins'. This in contrast to standard 'gubbins', or external detail features. This provides an interesting contrast, and it pleases me.

Now, to take this a little further, when I start doing Arachnid ships, I plan on inverting the JS style and borrowing some BSG elements, making their ships ribbed with external gubbining.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Thu 10 Feb 2011 11:21

Yeah someday I'd like to see new art work. But Southerland's style is very distinct and I don't see much like it anymore. It looks like he either did etchings or pen and ink. Either way, it is incredibly well done.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby krenshala on Thu 10 Feb 2011 12:56

Cralis wrote:Yeah someday I'd like to see new art work. But Southerland's style is very distinct and I don't see much like it anymore. It looks like he either did etchings or pen and ink. Either way, it is incredibly well done.

It is most definitely pen and ink drawing. :D
-- krenshala
None survive the harvest!

Yeah, I'm finally back (again)! Sometimes, life (and 9yo son's) don't leave you time to play SF and earn a paycheck. :/

No, really! Matt actually made me an admin here!
krenshala
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Otterman on Thu 24 Feb 2011 14:34

Progress report:
DD mold is working decently. However, I don't pour resin very often so supplies are very low.
CL mold is kind of done, but I'm not sure I like it.
CA mold is poured, but untested.
BC prototype hasn't been printed yet. My recent funeral trip has me kind of tapped out.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Thu 24 Feb 2011 17:56

Otterman wrote:Progress report:
DD mold is working decently. However, I don't pour resin very often so supplies are very low.
CL mold is kind of done, but I'm not sure I like it.

What don't you like about it? I've not built miniatures before, so I'm curious...

CA mold is poured, but untested.
BC prototype hasn't been printed yet. My recent funeral trip has me kind of tapped out.

Ouch, I'm sorry.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Otterman on Fri 25 Feb 2011 14:51

The panel lines were curiously harder than expected.

Otterman
Captain
Captain

PreviousNext

Return to General