Miniatures

General Starfire discussion, including information about old products and editions.

Moderators: SDS Members, SDS Owner

Forum rules
1. Nothing obscene.
2. No advertising or spamming.
3. No personal information. Mostly aimed at the posting of OTHER people's information.
4. No flame wars. We encourage debate, but it becomes a flame when insults fly and tempers flare.

Try to stick with the forum's topic. Threads that belong to another forum will be moved to that forum.

Re: Miniatures

Postby Starfire on Sat 26 Feb 2011 17:39

Maybe so, but that looks really sweet.

How hard would it be to double the height thought out the middle such that the height at the back end was twice as high.
Nerf rock, paper is fine. signed:Scissors.
Starfire
Marvin Lamb
Marvin Lamb

Postby Otterman on Fri 04 Mar 2011 08:32

You know, I'm not too happy with the way that front end is turning out. I may redesign it. During that process I'll tinker with the proportions.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Otterman on Mon 14 Mar 2011 08:34

I like this one better

Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Mon 14 Mar 2011 11:12

Otterman wrote:I like this one better

That looks more evenly distributed, but I think it will be the final details that make it look good :) Of course you could save the old one and make a custom ship of your own design!

Either way, you are definitely MUCH more talented at 3d modeling than me...
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Otterman on Mon 14 Mar 2011 12:44

Thanks!

Now mit panellinenz

Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Otterman on Mon 14 Mar 2011 14:07

Gubbin power, activate!

Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Mon 14 Mar 2011 14:48

Oh WOW that is incredible.

Are those two cylinders where you are going to put all the antenna-like things on top?

BTW that rail in the middle is really awesome. Are you going to extend that along the entire spine?
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Otterman on Mon 14 Mar 2011 17:43

Yes and yes. Any antennae will have to be the customer's affair - nothing that skinny and protubescent would cast. I recommend a length of wire, paintbrush bristle, or some etched brass.
Otterman
Captain
Captain

Postby Cralis on Mon 14 Mar 2011 18:10

Otterman wrote:Yes and yes. Any antennae will have to be the customer's affair - nothing that skinny and protubescent would cast. I recommend a length of wire, paintbrush bristle, or some etched brass.

That is kind of what I was thinking too. I have wire pieces all over from various electronics projects, and I've wondered how hard it would be to glue them to models and then paint the primer color. Should do some experimenting to see what kind of wire would work best (steel, copper, aluminum, etc.) Something to think about.
Cralis
SDS Member
SDS Member

Postby Club on Tue 15 Mar 2011 01:21

For thin wires I recommend the following:

Go to you local train oriented hobby shop. There are (at least) two good ones in the lower mainland, and a gamers shop that's almost as good (Unfortunately, you're not here. They aren't hard to google though) If you can't find one, you might try a model kit/model rocket shop.

www.central-hobbies.com
www.ontrackhobbies.com
www.imperialhobbies.ca

Get some phosphor bronze wire, sized at .025. That's what I'll recommend for fine antennas, although there is thinner. Brass is good for .040 and thicker.
http://www.tichytraingroup.com/ if you can't find it locally.

Get a pin vice, a good train shop should have a selection of several. (The games workshop one isn't bad, but doesn't have a small enough collet. The GF9 one is a pain in the rear to use, can't recommend it. I will recommend the Privateer press one at http://privateerpress.com/content/model ... inning-set ; those three are the ones usually found in gamer's shops)

get some #70 or #71 drill bits for the .025 wire. Again, the train shop should have them. Here's a conversion chart for other sizes.
http://www.chevyc60.com/tables_1.htm
get several of a given size; I'm always surprised at how fast they go dull, even in pewter.

Do NOT pull out the dremel; in my experience that will result in broken, usually ir-removable, bits within seconds.

Grab your superglue. Stick some on the wire, some over the hole. Don't use a lot, and have something ready to sop up the excess. After cleaning the extra, spray on some zip-kick (Superglue accelerator.)

Cut of the excess wire. Get some flat sided side-cutters for this if using thin wire. Thicker or harder material will damage the cutters (They are fairly delicate; unfortunate limitation of the design) You can attack the end of thicker stuff with a jeweler file if you want to get a flat end on it.
These (http://privateerpress.com/content/clippers) or GW plastic clippers work, but are overpriced; the train shop should have ones just as good for cheaper. Or you could go really high end and get hardened stainless ones if your budget will support it.

Did I mention that I like train shops? I'm not interested in trains either. They're like toy stores for modelers.
TAG: As I understand it, he sought to avoid turning one-point-six trillion Terran sophonts into undead, war-mongering super-soldiers.
Captain Tagon: It it wrong for me to think that would be pretty cool to watch?

http://www.schlockmercenary.com
Club
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to General